• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets try something new

53 posts in this topic

Instead of conitinuing to bash the people on these forums for what they collect (e.g. I collect high grade Silver Age Marvels so therefore you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for collecting reader copies of Bronze DC's) Why don't we encourage people for what they are collecting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. Obviously, that's what they like or they would not be collecting it in the first place. The only examples I have come across in my limited time on these boards is people helping with Ian's quest and the have a cigar threads. Lets as collectors pronounce our collecting habits insane.gif with pride I will start. I am collecting high grade comics from the Golden and Silver Ages. I do not have a specific character or artist or publisher that I prefer as at some point I probably read them all as a kid. I am more interested in preserving the history of these fine examples of Americana with the finest copies of these respective books. So whats your passion confused-smiley-013.gif

Instead of conitinuing to bash the people on these forums for what they collect (e.g. I collect high grade Silver Age Marvels so therefore you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for collecting reader copies of Bronze DC's) Why don't we encourage people for what they are collecting . Obviously, that's what they like or they would not be collecting it in the first place.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I hate that "what I collect is cool, what you collect is stupid" attitude.

That's probably because I collect pretty much everything 893whatthe.gif

I collect what I grew up with, or back a few years to the connecting storylines (ie. after reading ASM 144-150, I had to get ASM 121-122).

Basically Bronze Age, 1972-80.

I collect all time periods and conditions...but I'm obsessed with comicbooks that are older than I am. So anything printed before 1979 always makes me excited, espechially silver age stuff. I'm also into a really cool cover. If I buy an old comic with a really cool cover, I wont stop looking at it in it's mylar.

I'm insane. insane.gifhi.gif

I collect original comic art cloud9.gif One splash or cover by every artist I like, so I will (Hopefully) never be finished with my quest shocked.gif

I also read new comics every week and throw them in my closet, so I don't know if that is "collecting". confused-smiley-013.gif

Silver Age Marvel... I have Hulk 1 - 6, JIM 83, Daredevil 1, Sgt Fury 1, Silver Surfer 1 and I'm nearing the end of my complete FF run and I'm starting to pick up assorted JIM. I pick up ASM and other Marvel goodies when good deals present themselves.

For Silver Age I try to collect for VALUE for my dollar. That is, I weight condition and price to determine what's the best value for my collecting dollar. That means I usually end up with F - FN/VF for early silver age and VF for later silver age.

Bronze Age Marvel (ASM, Horror, Westerns, X-Men, Giant Size, Conan) and DC (Superman and Batman) - in this area I try to get as close to NM within sane price ranges. When it comes to high priced keys, I'll go with F/VF with nice eye appeal.

Modern - Valiants in NM or better. Punisher Titles. FF for the completionist in me.

I currently read a handful of new titles, but I don't know if I really "collect" these. Most are pretty disposable to me.

hi.gif

For some reason, I cant get enough of Marvel.

I would like to get runs of most all the major titles and would love to collect F.F. ASM but for now.............I branch out and love all titles.

But I keep finding myself drifting back to these titles, and hope to complete the runs someday.

And I too am a cover freak.

Avengers

Captain America

Sgt. Fury

JIM

TOS

Strange Tales

TTA

Marvel Tales

Marvel Colector Item Classics

Giant Size

Treasury Size

MTU

Iron Fist

I love all Annuals for some reason too, cannot get enough of them

I love all the spidey crossover books.

And hope to get all these in HG someday

TTA #57

Xmen #35

Strange Tales Annual #2

S.S.# 14

Avengers #11

etc...

To me personally I think the TOS run is a fav of mine.

for some reason I just love issue #45... might be because of the terrific inhouse adds.. or the story, or heck I dunno. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just like it.

I do also collect DC Secret Origins, and Neal Adams Batman stuff.

kinda like the Marvel Giant Sizes, I am a freak for 100 pagers.

I really like GA Batman , but for $$$$ reason's. have not pursued them in my collection.

Well thats about it.

Oh.. and my Holy Grail quest is for a ASM King Size Special #9 9.6 or better. cloud9.gif

This is the one comic I still have from my youth, and I hold it dear to me, not only is it among my favorite covers, but stories as well.

Well I better stop now, I keep thinking of comics I like and have to stop at some point. makepoint.gif

Kenny

I collect original comic art cloud9.gif One splash or cover by every artist I like, so I will (Hopefully) never be finished with my quest shocked.gif

I also read new comics every week and throw them in my closet, so I don't know if that is "collecting". confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif the tech tv guy looked flabergasted when you said you collect comic art on the show....he didn't seem to smart when it came to comics. He didn't know who sad sack was come onnnnn....that dude is probbaly a year or so older than me (i'm 25)and I have lots of sad sacks. Also he said he'd rather have a computer processor.....his computer processor would only go down in value while the comic has a chance at going up in value and probably will.

Something has been bothering me.....

what were the other two comics that other tech tv guy brought to you. You didn;t seem to impressed 27_laughing.gif.

you arent that guy who collects "ART" in the movie Unbreakable are you?

27_laughing.gif, j/k

I love that scene..

where he dresses down the guy in his gallery, for calling his collection comic books.

I have the "value for my dollar" approach to collecting as well. I'm also a structure nut. I'll take a grubby comic that is structurally sound over one that is pretty but has loose cfolds/covers, popped staples, long spine splits, etc. I usually end up with VG minimum Golds, Fine minimum Silvers, and Very Fine minimum Bronzes.

I collect:

Everything with the 'Marvel Comics Group' bar across the top.

Anything Neal Adams did.

Marvel Fireside Hardcovers (will pay well for the last two I need: 'The Superhero Women' and 'Marvel's Greatest Superhero Battles').

I have the "value for my dollar" approach to collecting as well. I'm also a structure nut.

I'm an eye appeal nut. insane.gif

When it comes to the high-priced stuff, I try to go by eye appeal rather than strict numerical grade. For instance, for $75, I picked up a FF 9 that looks like a vibrant VF from the front, but has a pinky nail sized chip missing from the back cover. So technically it's probably a VG, but in the Mylite 2 with backing board, it looks 4 grades better. grin.gif

I collect all them pretty marvel and Dc keys i saw on the walls of the comic shops when i was a kid in high grade. I worship all Marvel and Dc keys, they are magical to me. I wanted them all so bad as a kid, and now as an adult I can finally afford them.

But, my real passion right now lies in higher to high grade copies of Famous Monsters Of Filmland, I just love those amazing covers and if anyone here has any for sale or just want to help a collector out with a handout(gott'a ask, right...lol) please feel free to PM me. I am in the film industry and these little suckers are one of the main reasons my little innocent mind was corrupted so young to the world of movies. Thank you Forrest Ackerman.

I recomend them highly to anyone who loves older horror flicks... awesome stuff and highly collectible

'best

chris

Great thread, bullet!

I'm working on a complete run of FF. I've still got some fairly significant holes in the broze era # 101-200 range where I'm trying to get VF or better copies. I have every issue from 250, with most being at least VF/NM. Many, many NM in this part of the run.

Lately, I've been concentrating on the 1-100 portion, where I collect good eye appeal mid-grades. But the higher the issue #, the better the condition I try to go for. As of this posting, I have 40 of the first 100 issues.

Looking towards the future, I hope to build smaller runs of titles (perhaps 10-15 issues) in high-grade. Maybe pre-hero Marvel/Atlas books? I'm really drawn to some of the prototype stories found in early TOS, TTA, JIM, ST, etc... At the same time, I'm equally attracted to the super-hero issues from these titles, so I have no clue which direction I'll go in yet.

Oh, I also buy moderns each Wednesday to read and enjoy.

- Working on my Avengers Registry set. (and eventually getting nice scans up of all the books in it)

- Collecting the occasional Green River.

- Anything Ditko - including my newly-acquired jones for Charlton.