• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets try something new

53 posts in this topic

God, the older I get, the the broader my comics interests become.

I guess my main passion is Golden Age war covers in superhero titles. I think Action comics 52 to 63 is an incredible run of beautiful war covers. Schomburg Nedor war covers are another passion. Thriling Comics #11 and #19, Exciting Comics #30 & #31, Fighting Yank 5, 6, & 7...just beautiful stuff.

When I was 10-years-old, Neal Adams was the "good" artist, and lately I've been buying up his work on Batman, Detective, Brave & the Bold, Green Lantern, Superman, Spectre, Strange Adventures, Superman, and World's Finest. Those books truly bring back the wonder of reading comics as a kid.

DC Silver is another passion. I'm working on completing JLA 1-40, World's Finest 100-150, and all 56 80 Page Giants.

And then, in an even broader sense, I collect books that just have very cool covers. The Hitler cover on Real Life #3 always blows me away, the Raboy covers on Master Comics, Flash #10 #14, Sandman and Starman covers on Adventure Comics. Awesome stuff.

I simply can't imagine narrowing my focus to one thing. Comics are too darn cool not to want it all!

I collect usually the main stream Marvel stuff of the Silver and Bronze on up.

I like runs in comics.

I have a worked hard on achieving a 450 issue run of ASM and a 400 issue run of Uncanny.

But be advised - I am a stickler for the grade though,

NO comic is worth gracing my collection runs unless it is at least a VF minimum for Silver

VF/NM for Bronze and NM and for Copper to Modern.

And I buy no comic from my LCS brand new title rack unless it is a

NM/M no matter how good the story has been puffed-up to be

(I know this sounds silly, but in today's market with a comic going for $2-3

I buy with the investment first attitude, and even if I wait til I find the story

elsewhere I know I'll find this book in the grade I want).

My collecting is centered on 1968-1974 DC. I have most of the mainstream titles during that period and continue to upgrade towards Fine+ to NM-, but my collection expands in both directions outward from that period. Interests include:

- Early DC Silver Age, mostly the Julie Schwartz-edited books JLA (starting with #17), GL (starting with #1), Flash (starting with #120), Hawkman (all)

- Jim Shooter's Legion stories in Adventure Comics

- later 1970s books, continuing the themes from my 1968-1974 primary period of interest, for instance JLA, Batman/Detective and Legion. And thanks to these forums, I'm becoming interested in late 1970s DC horror, more for the covers than anything else

- Lately, reader copies of DC/Fawcett/Quality Golden Age books. Particular interests are WWII covers, Raboy's Master Comics, Kubert's Hawkman, Toth's Green Lantern, Simon & Kirby Newsboy Legion, and the cardboard-cover anthology hero books Comic Cavalcade, World's Finest, and America's Greatest Comics.

For Marvel, it is usually related to "good artist" books by Steranko, Adams, Barry Smith, and much later, Frank Miller's various Daredevil runs. Also have reader copies of the later Stan & Jack Fantastic Four.

I'm all over the map!

thumbsup2.gif

My focus is currently on silver age DC Superman titles:

Action

Adventure

Superboy

Superman

Lois Lane

Jimmy Olsen

World's Finest.

I really love runs, and the ones I have completed so far are:

Adventure 300-380

Jimmy Olsen 1-163

Eighty Page Giant 1-15

Lois Lane 52-137

Superboy 118-259

I am trying to get a complete set of Superboy in mid-high grade, and continue to fill out the runs of other books. I am close to Action 283-410, and need 1 issue of Superman for 129-200, and 1 issue of Superboy for 92-259. laugh.gif

My collection mainly consists of:

X-Men - mainly Uncanny (but I dabble in other X-Men books when something good comes around)

Wolverine - Regular series and limit series

Spawn - I stopped awhile back, but I have a good lot of them

FF - especially Byrne stuff

Favorite artist comics - namely anything with Byrne or Jim Lee

thumbsup2.gif

That's probably because I collect pretty much everything 893whatthe.gif

I'll be more specific now that I have a minute. I really am interested in some book from practically every year traditional comics have been produced. Thinks I have collected, am collecting or plan to collect include:

Exciting Comics 55-66: The Judy of the Jungle run, most with Xela airbrushed covers.

Daredevil 1-191. This one is actually done. High grade. Most raw. My meager registry set shows the average condition, although some books will need to be upgraded one of these days to keep that average up above 9...

High grade Steranko, Adams, Wrightson, BWS art issues from the 60s and 70s.

ECs. Right now I'm working on a Frontline Combat run but I love pretty much everything EC, so I can seamlessly move into one of the Sci-Fi or Horror titles.

Green Lantern 1-89. Hal Jordan thumbsup2.gif

Fiction House books. Recently I've been buying mostly the occasional Jumbo or Jungle, but what I really want is to get serious and buy some nice Planets.

Price Variants. Now that prices on the more common issues have stabilized I've slowly started working on bargain-hunting my way through the easy parts of the 30 cent variant set. I already had most of the superhero issues that I cared about, now I'm looking for the other stuff. Whether or not I go the whole nine yards remains to be seen.

Original Art. Recently I've been buying modern stuff. this year, I've picked up multiple pages from both Preacher and Hitch's Authority and Stormwatch. I'm planning on adding a page from Planetary and Transmet in the near future. Beyond that, as I mentioned elsewhere I'm planning on buying a really nice Miller Daredevil page one of these days.

That's by no means a complete list. Did I mention my love for Lee/Kirby's Fantastic Fours? Or my fascination with Showcase? My love for select early Superman covers? My long-standing desire to own a Detective 27? My uninitiated Frank Frazetta art quest? Moebius? How about Jack Kirby art or Wally Wood and Al Williamson EC art?

Run for the hills! I may not be able to stop 893whatthe.gif

insane.gif

I was pretty much a completionist, character-based collector at first, starting with the Hulk and Spidey, followed by FF and X-men. After completing silver/bronze runs of those titles I went after the rest of the SA Marvel Keys, then the completionist took back over and I completed the "Birth of the Marvel Universe Collection", which is a phrase I coined for the set of Marvels starting with FF 1 running through all the Marvel books published in December of '64.

About this time I also started dabbling in GA and while at first I was picking up a few DC's, EC's, Dells, and a few other misc GA books, I've ended up focusing on Schomburg WWII and sci-fi covers, as well as LB Cole horror and sci-fi covers, both of which I still collect.

Over this time I also picked up all the Marvel Bronze Age keys in high grade, and although I was tempted to pursue a complete NM 20-cent Marvel collection, by the time I got to that point CGC came around and I wasn't really interested in paying $100-150 a pop for books I was buying for $10-15 a year or two earlier so I abandoned that pursuit. In fact, other than the titles I collected, I pretty much slabbed-n-sold all those BA books to upgrade my early SA and buy more GA.

The expansion of my collecting interests continued in the mid-90's and I started going after artist-based DC late silver/early bronze books (Wrightson, Adams, Kaluta). Once again though, after CGC came along prices went through the roof so I slabbed-n-sold all my non-horror DC BA keys, but fortunately I ended up keeping the horror books (except the 9.4 DC 100 Pager #4 which I was able to re-purchase).

And that's where I am now...have a look at my want list below please! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So whats your passion

Hmmmm. "my passion" and what I collect ARE different...but we won't get into that. grin.gif

My main collecting is GA with a main focus on pre-code horror. I also have a fair number of Marvel and DC Bronze horror.

Oh.. and my Holy Grail quest is for a ASM King Size Special #9 9.6 or better. cloud9.gif

This is the one comic I still have from my youth, and I hold it dear to me, not only is it among my favorite covers, but stories as well.

Kenny

Did you ever notice that this book is about 1/4" taller than other Marvel Annuals of the same year?

Every copy I have ever seen is like this. confused-smiley-013.gif

I collect mid-grade Treasure Chest comics!

.... just kidding.....

Don't knock the TC's. I collect um.

Hey I thought this was suppose to be one of those no fighting threads!!!

popcorn.gif

Ok, I don't collect Treasure Chest comics - "not that there is anything wrong with that"....

But, I do like:

- Silver DC Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, JLA, B&B, Showcase, Teen Titans

- Big logo G/A DC

- 50s and 60s Barks ducks

- Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, other 50s sci fi

- a side helping of Big Red Cheese

I really, REALLY wish this was not included in the next Heritage auction -- I will end up either severely depressed or spending way too much money....

Heritage Auction

Instead of conitinuing to bash the people on these forums for what they collect (e.g. I collect high grade Silver Age Marvels so therefore you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for collecting reader copies of Bronze DC's) Why don't we encourage people for what they are collecting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. Obviously, that's what they like or they would not be collecting it in the first place. The only examples I have come across in my limited time on these boards is people helping with Ian's quest and the have a cigar threads. Lets as collectors pronounce our collecting habits insane.gif with pride I will start. I am collecting high grade comics from the Golden and Silver Ages. I do not have a specific character or artist or publisher that I prefer as at some point I probably read them all as a kid. I am more interested in preserving the history of these fine examples of Americana with the finest copies of these respective books. So whats your passion confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey Bullet -- I know that you have a supremo collection of cartoon posters as well. How about posting some pictures of your "other" collection? I'm pretty sure lots of people here would like to see them. If you need help hosting images, just send me a PM and I'll host them for you. thumbsup2.gif

Also, show us some of your recent comic purchases, as I know you've been on quite a tear lately, buying up books left and right. You can make separate threads if you don't want to stray off topic in this one.

And speaking of staying on topic: I collect high grade Marvel silver, bronze, and copper age books. My focus is on Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, other silver/bronze keys, and Frank Miller's runs on Daredevil. You have outbid me on quite a few auctions for silver age stuff, so it was with great pleasure that I recently outbid you on the 9.8 copy of Action #405. grin.gif

Apart from collecting, I read just about any Marvel book that is worth reading, regardless of when it was printed. I also read a few indie books, like the new Conan series. I am considering picking up Preacher, since a couple guys have suggested it, and a certain head grader at CGC demanded that I pick up the first volume of the TPB immediately.

My collecting interests:

Marvel mainstream superhero 1965-1981 in high grade. To me, shocked.gif, the earliest Marvels are

not all that great, I really love Marvel starting around FF 44, ASM 39, Avengers 30. I collect these in as high a grade as possible.

DC 1967-1981 mainstream superhero in high grade

For the above I am a classic mint freak as much as my budget will allow. Lately, I have become

equally interested in completing a nice mid-grade VG+/FN run of Batman 100-175. I love silver

age Batman covers.

Hey Bullet -- I know that you have a supremo collection of cartoon posters as well. How about posting some pictures of your "other" collection? I'm pretty sure lots of people here would like to see them. If you need help hosting images, just send me a PM and I'll host them for you. thumbsup2.gif

Also, show us some of your recent comic purchases, as I know you've been on quite a tear lately, buying up books left and right. You can make separate threads if you don't want to stray off topic in this one.

I used to have a killer cartoon movie poster collection (approx 6,000+ pieces) the equivalent of Ian in comics(the next biggest in that genre about 250+) but with 4 children it was becoming too cumbersome to manage. After spending 10+ years of my life assembling it, I did what any mentally unstable collector would do foreheadslap.gif I gave it away insane.gif All kidding aside, I donated 99% of the collection to the Margaret Herrick Library in California (they are the paper archives for the Motion Picture Academy of America) They are having an exhibit next May in Hollywood to showcase the collection. I will post it when the details are set.

GREAT thread, bullet - thanks for starting it!

Since I only got back into collecting (from scratch), I'm working on getting full runs of a LOT of titles. Couple that with my upcoming wedding and my tendency to be frugal anyway, and I'm only interested in getting reader copies (or whatever I can get for the cheapest price possible - bargain bins full of quarter/dollar comics are my friends!). I've found several "trading buddies" on this and other comic sites, which has been great. I'd much rather trade than buy; it's a lot more fun.

Some of the titles I'm working on full runs of (GA, SA, BA, and current - and trust me, I realize that the older stuff will probably not be in my posession for quite a while - but that's o.k.):

- Green Lantern

- The Flash

- Justice League of America

- Daredevil

- Captain America

- Iron Man

- Fantastic Four

- Luke Cage, Hero for Hire/Power Man/Power Man & Iron Fist

- Incredible Hulk

- What If?

Heck, maybe we should start a "What comics do you have that you wouldn't mind getting rid of?" thread in case any of us can help some of the other posters complete full runs (or whatever their goals are).

Runs Im trying to get in NM- or above...

Werewolf By Night (slowly but surely getting there)

The Warlord (slowly but surely getting there)

Iron Fist (slowly-- # 14 is going to take some saving up)

Batman -The Dark Knight Returns - 9.4 and above (2 out of 4 so far)

All the ZERO HOUR books in 9.6 or above (some great covers-have 3 of them so far in 9.8, 1 of them in 9.6 and one in 9.4)

For covers only....(those books I just like to admire the cover art in their well)

Captain America - silver/bronze age

Nick Fury Agent of Shield - silver age

Wierd War Tales

Wierd Western Tales (Scalphunter and Jonah Hex)

Daredevil (Frank Miller run)

Want to add ....

Hawkman - silver age

Justice League - silver age

Flash - silver age

Green Lantern - silver age

hi.gif