• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Ebay transaction

10 posts in this topic

Looks like buyer won the auction than turn around and did a bin at

a higher price. Feedback was given at higher price.

Can anyone explain this?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=220871773981

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=220875611476

Looks like buyer won the auction than turn around and did a bin at

a higher price. Feedback was given at higher price.

Can anyone explain this?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=220871773981

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=220875611476

The seller listed the item twice - once as a auction listing and once as a BIN listing. Once the buyer, x***u, bought the AF #15 as a BIN, the seller ended the regular auction early.

Why the buyer turned around and placed another bid four minutes later on a book he/she just bought, I have no idea. Hopefully, buyer noticed that the book has C/OW despite the listing which says OW.

If the auction is legit, seems like a good price on a AF #15.

Here's what happened:

The buyer, x***u, approached the seller about buying the book outright.

They negotiated a price, but the seller was unwilling to end the auction until he got a commitment to buy from the buyer. So, the seller said "I'll list it as a BIN, and then when you hit it, go bid some ridiculous amount on the auction, so you become high bidder, and then I'll end the auction."

So, the seller "relisted" the book at a BIN (with plenty of time left over on the auction), and once the buyer hit the BIN, they went and became high bidder on the other one, and the seller ended the auction.

The seller could not cancel the existing bids because there was less than 12 hours to go on the auction. So, this was the workaround, and they ended up "selling" the item to the high bidder (which is the only thing the seller can do.)

Then, the seller and buyer mutually agree to not complete the lower priced auction (or the higher priced, if they're dishonest), and the seller only pays FVFs once.

Hopefully it doesn't get reported to GPA (the lower price), but it was a workaround.

And that's what happened.

Here's what happened:

They negotiated a price, but the seller was unwilling to end the auction until he got a commitment to buy from the buyer. So, the seller said "I'll list it as a BIN, and then when you hit it, go bid some ridiculous amount on the auction, so you become high bidder, and then I'll end the auction."

So, the seller "relisted" the book at a BIN (with plenty of time left over on the auction), and once the buyer hit the BIN, they went and became high bidder on the other one, and the seller ended the auction.

The seller could not cancel the existing bids because there was less than 12 hours to go on the auction. So, this was the workaround, and they ended up "selling" the item to the high bidder (which is the only thing the seller can do.)

Then, the seller and buyer mutually agree to not complete the lower priced auction (or the higher priced, if they're dishonest), and the seller only pays FVFs once.

Hopefully it doesn't get reported to GPA (the lower price), but it was a workaround.

Highest bid on the auction was $5700 and the bin $6600 so not sure your scenario works unless I'm missing something.

Here's what happened:

Highest bid on the auction was $5700 and the bin $6600 so not sure your scenario works unless I'm missing something.

You're missing something.

As noted, the buyer wanted to END the auction, and the seller gave him/her a BIN which was acceptable. Just because the high bid at 9 in the AM Pacific happened to be the high bid, the auction wasn't scheduled to end until 6 in the PM that night, and the bidder could have been sniped or otherwise outbid.

The seller gambled that the bids wouldn't go over $6,600, which they might have, and the buyer was assured of owning the book.