• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, greggy said:

Ever since I saw you sell those New Mutants 1, I am confident that you can fool your local buyers as per usual. 

I try my best. lol

Those collectors are all now laughing, as the other copies from that group that I sent in hit 9.8 straight subbed..........

56 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I hate these sellers they make all the rest of look bad. 

And I don't want to hear about its the buyer's responsibility. There are a ton of 
new buyers on this market and its inexcusable to not tell people exactly what they are buying.

Yup.  As sellers, if we all do that, we are just shooting ourselves in the foot.  Say goodbye to the new buyers and the new golden age of selling circa 2020.

I'm seeing a bunch of the NM 98 facsimiles going for cover price or slightly above. I think those few outliers were dupes, or in all likelihood part of the gold rush on all books before the bubble 'burst' last week. I am seeing prices go down across the board, now would be the time to buy some keys you've been waiting for or in the next couple months.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I hate these sellers they make all the rest of look bad. 

And I don't want to hear about its the buyer's responsibility. There are a ton of 
new buyers on this market and its inexcusable to not tell people exactly what they are buying.

Any decent seller would most definitely agree with your statement for sure. I was instantly reminded of when Newton rings were a big uproar once again not too long ago. Once I started seeing that, I put a small disclaimer on my eBay store about the possibility of the slabs I sell having them, how they don't affect a comic's condition, and included a link to the CGC website statement. I never had a complaint or return, and did not see any decrease in value because of it. It's all about being upfront and transparent.

1 hour ago, The Green Ghost said:

I'm seeing a bunch of the NM 98 facsimiles going for cover price or slightly above. I think those few outliers were dupes, or in all likelihood part of the gold rush on all books before the bubble 'burst' last week. I am seeing prices go down across the board, now would be the time to buy some keys you've been waiting for or in the next couple months.

I've been following that NM 98s for about 2 years now.. Even in 2019 some copies of that particular facsimile could sell for $40-100.. yes the prices ranges.. just takes the right listing and the right buyer

11 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:
13 hours ago, divad said:

Good idea, but how does your wife feel about that? hm Thought so . . . :bigsmile:

Her idea 

lol  My wife made a habit of asking me periodically how much I had in my PP account, and feigning how it was so much easier to pay online for furniture, lighting, etc., using PayPal (using my account) :bigsmile:

p.s. As I love her dearly, I never grouse about it. ^^

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

I've been following that NM 98s for about 2 years now.. Even in 2019 some copies of that particular facsimile could sell for $40-100.. yes the prices ranges.. just takes the right listing and the right buyer

Ouch! Capitalism rulz! 

:flipbait:

3 hours ago, divad said:

lol  My wife made a habit of asking me periodically how much I had in my PP account, and feigning how it was so much easier to pay online for furniture, lighting, etc., using PayPal (using my account) :bigsmile:

p.s. As I love her dearly, I never grouse about it. ^^

Lol Oh mine does the same…still. 

On 5/30/2021 at 3:54 PM, fastballspecial said:

You make it sound like ebay is killing you in fees. If you are paying more then 15% something is wrong. Or you don't have enough volume. 
It seems hard to comprehend, but when you sometimes making a 500% profit on a book even after cost is 15% really that much for sleeping
or cutting the grass while your book sales?

Please stay off eBay. More for me.

On 5/30/2021 at 5:16 PM, the blob said:

yeah, but a lot of times you aren't making 500%. sell a slab you paid $60 for (before taxes and shipping) for $90 and you are breaking even or losing money, even though it went "up" 50%.

You're doing it wrong.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Last night I sold $500 worth of books I paid $50 for. eBay got its cut and I watched a baseball game. I do this five nights a week. Please, stay off eBay

You watch a LOT of baseball!

1. Sell on the boards

2. Sell on ebay

3.  Repeat and heavily discount on boards

4.  Then relist with heavy discount on ebay.

5.  Sell to a flea market bulk dealer at wholesale.

After step 4 I really have no more keys left or my pricing was way off.  I also have very little by way of comic runs. In today's market there aren't many comics that really won't sell.  Even books we used to make fun of sell nowadays.  

Started this thread about 6 months ago and I don't think I have any books left from this collection anyway.  

3 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I must be in the minority then, because I love the managed payment system. It just makes things easier, especially not having to maintain a balance to pay for shipping/etc. Getting the net deposited into my account every day works for me.

Which is fine if you have a constant flow of money/sales every day. But a lot of us aren’t full or part time dealers. I sell stuff to buy more stuff, it’s not a business. In the past, if I wanted to raise some quick cash, it was as easy as throwing the item up on eBay, making the sale, and I’d have the money in my checking account within seconds. That is now a three to four day process depending on what day the item sells. It’s preposterous for eBay to hold our funds for two days before disbursing them.  But as I said, that is how it is, so it’s been a mental adjustment, as well as an adjustment to my selling habits. Now I try to always have stuff up for sale, so that there are regular payments coming in. But if you want to make a quick sale on eBay and have your money that day, that is no longer an option.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Which is fine if you have a constant flow of money/sales every day. But a lot of us aren’t full or part time dealers. I sell stuff to buy more stuff, it’s not a business. In the past, if I wanted to raise some quick cash, it was as easy as throwing the item up on eBay, making the sale, and I’d have the money in my checking account within seconds. That is now a three to four day process depending on what day the item sells. It’s preposterous for eBay to hold our funds for two days before disbursing them.  But as I said, that is how it is, so it’s been a mental adjustment, as well as an adjustment to my selling habits. Now I try to always have stuff up for sale, so that there are regular payments coming in. But if you want to make a quick sale on eBay and have your money that day, that is no longer an option.

If your margins are that slim that you can't wait a couple days I would suggest building up some capital and leaving it alone. Just because you have some money it doesn't mean you have to spend it immediately.