• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 2/20/2022 at 7:26 AM, williamblood said:

i estimated around 1400 copies printed with 700 being sold, unsold would have been trashed/recycled. with bad cover paper and a comic primarily bought by kids its easy to see why only 3-4 9.8 have been seen so far. 

lol

:facepalm:

The next time certain people want to attack me for 'hating newsstands' or whatever, there's a reason I repeatedly post about the subject.

THIS IS WHY!

20220222_194601.jpg.81fc5e3ff51c791120dfd36228871f4f.jpg

On 2/22/2022 at 9:50 PM, The Meta said:

Says the guy buying every Wolverine newsstand I passed up in 96 and 97 lol

this-guy-gets-it-nick-offerman-1.gif.68d9ee78f6d959d5698e74eaee8d10b3.gif

Also :gossip: just trying to finish up my 2 compete runs of Wolverine (1 direct / 1 newsstand) 

:roflmao:

On 2/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, Lazyboy said:

lol

:facepalm:

The next time certain people want to attack me for 'hating newsstands' or whatever, there's a reason I repeatedly post about the subject.

THIS IS WHY!

Dude, you hate EVERYTHING....meh

On 2/23/2022 at 11:47 AM, ygogolak said:

Oh, well my guess is 5 gajillion. So it's actually probably somewhere between there.

I can confirm with 100% certainty that the print run of that book is somewhere within the range of 1 copy to 5 gajillion copies.

We can actually figure the numbers out if we work together to get case counts from LCSs. I have posted them before for certain books here for the Diamond warehouse in Plattsburgh, NY. It sounds like this is their largest one according to what LCS owners have told me, but I do not know for certain.

On 2/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, The Meta said:

The closest anyone who doesn't work for the company that ordered the book or the printer itself, between 1 and infinity......

We don't know

That.

That is the exact number we, the people will get right. 

The problem is that "between 1 and infinity" is intellectually dishonest and completely unrealistic.

Books that set all time records are known, X-Men #1, specifically.  The number of copies of Spawn #1 is known, etc.  They're not "infinity".  Spawn #1 is under two million.

Books that sold 100,000 copies in North America in the first month most likely didn't sell 200,000 copies total.  "between 1 and infinity" is a ridiculous answer when it's nearly a certainty the number is "under 200,000".

Saying the answer is 1,400 could easily be wrong (too low) by a factor of ten.  Yes, that's annoying if someone wants to say 1,400 when the answer is closer to 14,000...

But saying the answer could be "infinity" is always wrong (too high) by a factor of... infinity.  It's never helpful, and it's never the best answer. 

How much gold still exists buried in the ground on Earth?  There are varying estimates, no one really knows, but "between none and more than the weight of the universe" isn't a final answer.

Edited by valiantman

On 2/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, HeroOfTheBeach said:

does anyone actually know why real manufacturing numbers are not disclosed?  just wondering 

Because there is generally no benefit to the publisher for doing so, so if there's nothing compelling them to reveal that information, it won't happen.