• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Strange Academy #1 has gone up again recently. Now the entry point for cover A in 8.5 is hitting $100+. Are there any rumours about a movie mention of an academy, or is it just DS 2 movie floats all boats action?

Edited by kimik

On 3/5/2022 at 6:15 PM, manetteska said:

Miles Morales Spider-Man 13. 

It is crazy. I have to check my other Petrovich copies, but at the current prices selling my 9.8 is tempting. These books were bad for back cover staple rubs if I recall correctly.

Then again, you can say that for pretty much every Marvel book with a dark back cover from the past 5 years........:censored:

Edited by kimik

On 3/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, kimik said:
On 3/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, manetteska said:

It is crazy. I have to check my other Petrovich copies, but at the current prices selling my 9.8 is tempting. These books were bad for back cover staple rubs if I recall correctly.

Then again, you can say that for pretty much every Marvel book with a dark back cover from the past 5 years........:censored:

:whistle:

20220310_165457.thumb.jpg.ce08ac17e247f1a6128d7c78dc1fba95.jpg

On 3/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, kimik said:
On 3/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, manetteska said:

I remember when it came out I was looking for the "A" cover and was sad I had to buy the "B" variant. Guess it's paying off now.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:00 PM, Arkham said:

A good point that is well made!

The census data you have shared above represents effectively 1% of ComicChron's estimated print-run.

My post was way too minimal in effort - when I said "criminally undervalued", what I really meant was "it's the only 1st app of a Batman character widely available in 9.8 for less than US$499 on eBay that I have seen".  One of my focuses is 1st apps of Bat-related villains. In the past two years in particular (like nearly every typical or mainstream category/focus in the hobby, I guess) it's become nearly impossible to get a 9.8 of a modern book featuring the 1st app of a minor character for less than US$500 (and currency conversion is not my friend). So I was very surprised, given all that hyyyyype for Hush back in the day, to see Tommy Elliot's 1st app regularly priced between $150 and $175. 

Just curious about the highlighted portion above as the only “print run” numbers I’ve seen on ComicChron come directly from Statements of Ownership published periodically in comics from yesteryear.  I’ve used ComicChron to look at sales figures, but not sure where I would find estimated print-run numbers.  (shrug)

On 3/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, kimik said:

Strange Academy #1 has gone up again recently. Now the entry point for cover A in 8.5 is hitting $100+. Are there any rumours about a movie mention of an academy, or is it just DS 2 movie floats all boats action?

Has it gone up much though?  I'm still seeing raw copies go in the $100-150ish range, maybe that 8.5 was just an example of buyer impatience.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:33 PM, steveinthecity said:

Just curious about the highlighted portion above as the only “print run” numbers I’ve seen on ComicChron come directly from Statements of Ownership published periodically in comics from yesteryear.  I’ve used ComicChron to look at sales figures, but not sure where I would find estimated print-run numbers.  (shrug)

Some people will argue that print runs are way higher than ComicChron numbers, but the reality is that publishers will likely print a reasonable number of damage replacement copies (5%? 10%?) above pre-order sales and then whatever bit extra to hit the next print run discount threshold from the printer. They make money on initial orders, not the back issue market, so they are not going to print extra to store pallets in a warehouse someplace. That is how you go out of business fast. If there is a surge of demand after FOC they will do a second printing instead. Look at SW High Republic #1 - the pre-orders were lower than they should have been due to the FOC being the Monday BEFORE the Disney presentation mentioning it lol, and when Marvel was hit with the re-orders after the presentation they announced an immediate second printing. It was so bad that the 88 damaged copies of HR 1 I received in my bulk order were refunded, not replaced. Marvel sold out of their entire first print run after the fact and filled the additional re-orders with 2nd print copies. We may care about the back issue market, but they do not so they will have as many printings as needed to fill demand.

And then you have the ratio variant issue. The reason Diamond would have so many left over is not due to mass overprinting, but the fact that the ratio variants would be set to the pre-order print run and not all stores would qualify for them. The higher the ratio, the more likely they would not be qualified for, which is why the Walmart packs last summer had so many 1:200, 1:500 and 1:1000 ratio variants in them. Remember, the vast majority of stores that are profitable do not have the customer base to chase the 1:500+ variants based on file pulls. They may do it if they can sell the ratio variants + file copies for enough to generate a reasonable profit on the order. Otherwise, it is not worth it from a cashflow perspective. 

Edited by kimik

On 3/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, ComicsAreGoodIGuess said:

Has it gone up much though?  I'm still seeing raw copies go in the $100-150ish range, maybe that 8.5 was just an example of buyer impatience.

I paid $125 for a Campbell trade variant 9.8 in September, and now it looks like they're about $200. Not like it's skyrocketing or anything, but good to see it going the right direction.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:52 PM, kimik said:

Some people will argue that print runs are way higher than ComicChron numbers, but the reality is

that they really are, for books from 20 years ago that had newsstand distribution. For Direct-only issues from any year, they likely aren't that much higher, with exceptions for various reasons.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:33 AM, steveinthecity said:

On 3/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, Lazyboy said:

Hush was big... relative to the terrible state the industry was in at the time. Things were only starting to trend up again and the numbers are not impressive in any other context (at least for the beginning of the story).

You mean the estimated distribution to the Direct market in North America for that month, right?

Yes! Sorry team - I meant orders/distribution when I wrote "print-run". (I've got print-runs on the brain at the moment). The rest of the bolded text was implied by the source. :foryou:

On 3/10/2022 at 7:11 PM, Lazyboy said:

that they really are, for books from 20 years ago that had newsstand distribution. For Direct-only issues from any year, they likely aren't that much higher, with exceptions for various reasons.

I should have qualified that I was referring to the recent past 5 or so years. Even at the tail end of newsstand copies there was such low distribution that it did not matter much. 

On 3/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, kimik said:

At least 5 years...The SW books that have the black action figure ads seem like the ink rubs off of them even just sitting in a box untouched.  You come back a year later and can see black ink on the board.  And yes, I know the glossy side is the correct side to have the book on.  I always cringe when I see YT hauls or other videos where the person slides the book out of the bag, but keeps the board inside. And then slides the book down the board to get back in.  You do that just a few times and you have serious ink loss.