• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 9:01 PM, Lpgk said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but have you ever read any of those CLassic Xmen? Many of them, especially the Claremont/ Byrne run are missing some of the original pages and some house artist at the time substituted their version of the art. It's awful. No wonder people would dump these. Outside of the cover, it's not even a passable reprint. 

They mostly have added (far, far more so than removed) pages because a lot of the original issues only had a pathetic 17-18(!) story pages. Early Classic X-Men: no ads. Early "New" X-Men: 50% ads :sick:

On 4/25/2022 at 4:25 PM, Lazyboy said:

They mostly have added (far, far more so than removed) pages because a lot of the original issues only had a pathetic 17-18(!) story pages. Early Classic X-Men: no ads. Early "New" X-Men: 50% ads :sick:

I could be wrong, but I thought they actually removed some pages or switched them to another artist's rendition of the original pages? I do remember some added pages but I was more concerned about the switched/removed pages. 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:32 PM, Lpgk said:

I could be wrong, but I thought they actually removed some pages or switched them to another artist's rendition of the original pages? I do remember some added pages but I was more concerned about the switched/removed pages. 

There were pages added to fill out the stories, but no pages were taken out.

Classic X-men had some great back-up stories, at least early on, by Claremont and John Bolton, etc. Really fleshed out the original stories. Also it's hard to argue with that cover artist run. Art Adams, Steve Lightle, Mike Mignola, Adam Hughes...some really good stuff in there, well worth picking up for $1.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:25 AM, F For Fake said:

Classic X-men had some great back-up stories, at least early on, by Claremont and John Bolton, etc. Really fleshed out the original stories. Also it's hard to argue with that cover artist run. Art Adams, Steve Lightle, Mike Mignola, Adam Hughes...some really good stuff in there, well worth picking up for $1.

Especially back in the days when I was a teenager and couldn't afford the originals, and had no other way of reading them

On 4/25/2022 at 4:13 PM, fastballspecial said:

Nobody is arguing circulation wasn't higher at the beginning of the title run.  I am well aware of that run.
I tell you this all the time in fact numerous times now with different books. The circulation numbers were
vastly smaller at the end of the run. 

These books had print numbers that were large by today’s standards.  They are functionally scarce, though.  Why?  Because sellers, both LCS’s and show dealers, don’t prioritize them for sale or display.  So they are out there, but they are languishing in collections and stock boxes.

There are a lot of books like this that I have, but haven’t felt are worthy of lugging to shows.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Especially back in the days when I was a teenager and couldn't afford the originals, and had no other way of reading them

Absolutely! This is, essentially, what made me an X-men fan. I bought my first X-men comic off of the stands at the convenience store (#227), and they also had Classic X-men, (I think 6, or maybe 9?) At any rate, reading those two books, I was obsessed with figuring out who everyone was, why the teams had changed, why their costumes had changed, etc. Classic X-Men ignited all of that curiosity, and made it much easier to satisfy it.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, F For Fake said:

Absolutely! This is, essentially, what made me an X-men fan. I bought my first X-men comic off of the stands at the convenience store (#227), and they also had Classic X-men, (I think 6, or maybe 9?) At any rate, reading those two books, I was obsessed with figuring out who everyone was, why the teams had changed, why their costumes had changed, etc. Classic X-Men ignited all of that curiosity, and made it much easier to satisfy it.

The Adams front covers and Bolton backup stories (and back covers) alone made the first few years worth buying. The complete Bolton stories were finally collected in two TPBs called "Vignettes" Vol. 1 & 2 in the early 2000's.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, RICKMCDONALD said:

I just went to my LCS and found FOUR copies in the back issue box.  Probably all VG to VF, all selling for $2.95.

Flip 'em quick. I'll give you double what you paid right now! That's pure profit for you my friend! I'll pay for shipping too, sweeten the deal.

Uncanny X-Men 510 Campbell Virgin German/Euro Panini Blu-Box version April 2022.

This was only released in March 2022 and the Virgin version has already shown considerable interest on eBay.  Listings are below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115334392389

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144513769119

There are only two hundred copies of the comic and are numbered individually on the back in marker (as per Panini comic custom).

There are also only 15 Artist Proof copies and 15 Publisher Proof copies of the Virgin version.  These are numbered AP x/15 and PP x/15 respectively.

Finally there is also the trade version of the comic with Die Furchtlosen X-Men 1.  This also is limited to 200 copies, 15 AP & 15 PP.

X-M2.jpg