• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2022 at 11:53 AM, divad said:

My presser doesn't exist. :bigsmile:

I don't like pressing books, but some of what I collect includes pack-ins and promotional items that end up pretty curly from the inherent packaging (Joey's got one of those now). Also had to have a couple pressed recently because they were sold in a slipcased set by the publisher, and my set had the books loaded in incorrectly, creating an ugly set of corner bends. I just let CCS handle them, and pulled out 9.8s, but admittedly waited the requisite eon that TATs seem to require these days.

On 5/4/2022 at 7:20 PM, James42 said:

Spider-verse #6 raw copy just went for $362.

Others going for $250. More auctions up now going for big $$.

I bought a copy for $50 a month ago and there seemed like little interest. There's no new movie or series coming out that I'm aware of.

A CGC 9.8 is at $900 with 3 days left on the auction. Will probably go for $1500 if I guessed.

Anything happened recently to justify this pump?

$1500 with 1 day left on the auction. God damn

On 5/6/2022 at 11:16 PM, Tnexus said:

If only I could see the face of the people buying this in a year when they realize their $1500 investment amounted to 4 seconds of screen time.

It will look similar to the people who paid $11-$12K for Marvel Super-Heroes #13 (1st Carol Danvers) in the run up to the Captain Marvel movie. They are now down to the mid $3Ks.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:27 PM, cd4ever said:

Actually regular turn arounds are running less than 3 months and fast track is just a matter of a couple weeks. I would fast track this book if I had it.  Of course I don't. 

That’s not at all what almost anyone I speak to online is experiencing. I know most who have posted in threads I follow have complained that CGC has had their books are close to a year. That after 3 or 6 months the books drop out of CGC’s system and you can’t check them online.

I won’t even get into how poor CGC’s grading and quality control are currently. It’s bad and I can show dozens of examples of severe over grading. It’s why I don’t submit to CGC and have only submitted  one book to CBCS. I was looking for an accurate grade and a case with no debris or Newton Rings.

It’s effecting the hobby in a bad way as well. Now people are thinking that a book with dozens of horrible color breaking spine tics, fingerprints and stains qualify for grades of 9.0 and above. 

People also refer to CGC’s labels as the end all on any info on a given book. I can tell you that Cable (excluding his baby appearance) first appears in NM86, NM87 &  NM88. Somehow though NM88 is his second appearance according to them. 

Sorry, rant over. But look at this beautiful 9.2 and it’s wonderful spine tics. 

F2DAD8C4-3A93-445F-B9B4-E46BA1519BFD.jpeg

Moon Knight be chillin' , flippers and spectulators be illin'.

3 years build up for at most what was a pedestrian show that relagated Moon Knights screen time to cameo status. The hippo received more cumulative screen time.

Now speculators grasping in hyperbolic desperation that there will be some small appearence in some future film.   Quote the Joker; HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/9/2022 at 6:45 AM, Corona smith said:

That’s not at all what almost anyone I speak to online is experiencing. I know most who have posted in threads I follow have complained that CGC has had their books are close to a year. That after 3 or 6 months the books drop out of CGC’s system and you can’t check them online.

Then those people are either lying or have them at CCS.  Modern slow track is at around 3 months and FT is 2-4 weeks.  Economy is another ball of yarn that keeps getting worse and worse, though.  Heard ECO FT is almost bearable and I wish I had used it on my last sub.  

On 5/9/2022 at 6:45 AM, Corona smith said:

I won’t even get into how poor CGC’s grading and quality control are currently. It’s bad and I can show dozens of examples of severe over grading. It’s why I don’t submit to CGC and have only submitted  one book to CBCS. I was looking for an accurate grade and a case with no debris or Newton Rings.

Are any of those dozens of examples books you've had problems with?  Of the dozens of examples, do you have a number of satisfied people or acceptable books to compare and get a % of mistakes? Or are they examples from Facebook and the QC thread here?  "It's why I don't submit to CGC..."  Wait.  So you don't submit but you're complaining about issues related to submission?  

The rest of the rant is just hyperbole and cherry picking the worst examples.  That Darkness book is terrible but it's so obvious a mistake that no one but the greenest of the green would ever buy that and accept the grade.

I get it - CGC has problems and I agree.  But this way of writing about it is peak comic-nerd-hyperbole (Comic nerd as a term of endearment...I'm one, too).  It's just especially weird to be so incensed and not actually submit books.  

On 5/9/2022 at 7:37 AM, MAR1979 said:

Moon Knight be chillin' , flippers and spectulators be illin'.

3 years build up for at most what was a pedestrian show that relagated Moon Knights screen time to cameo status. The hippo received more cumulative screen time.

Now speculators grasping in hyperbolic desperation that there will be some small appearence in some future film.   Quote the Joker; HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't know about that. Many of us didn't consider the show "pedestrian" at all, and it has been confirmed that there are plans for his character in the future.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 5/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Beastfeast said:

Then those people are either lying or have them at CCS.  Modern slow track is at around 3 months and FT is 2-4 weeks.  Economy is another ball of yarn that keeps getting worse and worse, though.  Heard ECO FT is almost bearable and I wish I had used it on my last sub.  

Are any of those dozens of examples books you've had problems with?  Of the dozens of examples, do you have a number of satisfied people or acceptable books to compare and get a % of mistakes? Or are they examples from Facebook and the QC thread here?  "It's why I don't submit to CGC..."  Wait.  So you don't submit but you're complaining about issues related to submission?  

The rest of the rant is just hyperbole and cherry picking the worst examples.  That Darkness book is terrible but it's so obvious a mistake that no one but the greenest of the green would ever buy that and accept the grade.

I get it - CGC has problems and I agree.  But this way of writing about it is peak comic-nerd-hyperbole (Comic nerd as a term of endearment...I'm one, too).  It's just especially weird to be so incensed and not actually submit books.  

That Darkness book posted above isn't a simple mistake. You can't tout yourself as a grading authority and write that one off as a mistake, it isn't a borderline case, there is no argument to be made it is a 9.2 and that is even before looking at a scan of the back. 

Edited by darkstar