• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2022 at 1:26 PM, Beastfeast said:

Right?  Disparaging NOW as the era of the cover (and somehow conflating CGC with that, too) doesn't make much sense.  Even the designation of "Classic cover" predates CGC.  The cover of a comic book is a massive draw and has been since the beginning of the medium.  CGC didn't do it.  We did. 

It’s all a matter of degree, though, isn’t it?  There have always been classic covers, yes, but I don’t think the amount of collecting focus placed on covers has ever been greater.

I stand by the comment.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:14 PM, kimik said:

This is why slabbed books with better than expected front covers for the grade fetch a premium. For my PC, I like chasing books with interior issues or damage primarily on the back. 

You can definitely get an ‘eye appeal’ bargain.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, kimik said:

If you do shows,

I don't do shows - I have no interest in letting anyone "paw through" my books. :whistle: (Even my seconds . . . )

On 6/8/2022 at 11:19 PM, kimik said:

Definitely. 

There are some weirdos, though. I can remember a few years back when I was dumping a bunch of 90s good girl covers for $2 apiece at a Red & White show and had two middle aged gentlemen breathing heavily while they were excitedly flipping through the covers. At least they took them all so I had two fewer long boxes to lug out.

Is that how you met Greggy?

On 6/10/2022 at 2:16 AM, Hezi said:

Power Rangers vs Godzilla #1 cover A and B seem to be going for $25+ and a 9.8 for cover B sold for around $130 the other day. 

And ideas why?

These crossover books seem to get overlooked sometimes until the 3rd or 4th issue drops.  Collectors of either franchise jump on and seek out the 1st couple of issues only to find that pickings are slim.  I have a handful of every issue so far as I figured the set would be a good mid to longterm hold.  I wasn't aware that #1 was picking up steam.

The same has happened with He-Man Tundercats to a lesser extent.  Also Freddie Williams III on covers.  That is a $50+ set in NM.  I would assume this new PR vs Godzilla has a much smaller print run.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:46 AM, gradejunky said:

These crossover books seem to get overlooked sometimes until the 3rd or 4th issue drops.  Collectors of either franchise jump on and seek out the 1st couple of issues only to find that pickings are slim.  I have a handful of every issue so far as I figured the set would be a good mid to longterm hold.  I wasn't aware that #1 was picking up steam.

The same has happened with He-Man Tundercats to a lesser extent.  Also Freddie Williams III on covers.  That is a $50+ set in NM.  I would assume this new PR vs Godzilla has a much smaller print run.

Yeah, I'd say this is pretty much it. Also, crossovers from when print runs/sales were lower than they are now sell well. Ghostbusters/TMNT #1 is a book I sold recently that falls into that $20+ range. 

On 6/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, gradejunky said:

That makes sense. I’m one of maybe two people at my LCS who pulls the regular MMMPR series, so we got to talking about the crossover book and they mentioned that they had to order a lot more MMPR/Godzilla than originally planned since it was selling well. 

Hopefully this leads to more MMPR crossover books 

On 6/13/2022 at 1:52 PM, CheeseFrog said:

Yup, I’m convinced these books are a long play. 

Definitely. I am curious to see if the return of SW to Dark Horse means that the DH runs become canon for DIS SW D+ and movies as well. 

On 6/14/2022 at 12:50 AM, kimik said:

Definitely. I am curious to see if the return of SW to Dark Horse means that the DH runs become canon for DIS SW D+ and movies as well. 

They won’t, but the characters are all free game. Especially with Filoni and now Leslie Hedland doing The Acolyte which is set during the HR. She’s a big fan of KOTR so I wouldn’t doubt she tries to see what she can get away with in bringing some of those characters into canon. 

So... ASM 410?

9.8s are going for close to $200.

The listings all say "1st Spider-Carnage" but the CGC labels only say "Carnage appearance".

Why is that and will CGC update the labels going forward to say "1st Spider-Carnage"?

On 5/24/2022 at 10:16 PM, Wolverinex said:

Insanely cool cover.  Batman #124 variant by Filya Bratukhin.  

Artist reminds me of Moebius and Darrow.   I think it comes out soon.   TFAW still has it for ratio.  Don't buy the overpriced ones on ebay

W1gH9hE.jpg

Got my preorder today - it is just as gorgeous in-hand as I expected it would be!

On 6/14/2022 at 5:32 AM, lostboys said:

So... ASM 410?

9.8s are going for close to $200.

The listings all say "1st Spider-Carnage" but the CGC labels only say "Carnage appearance".

Why is that and will CGC update the labels going forward to say "1st Spider-Carnage"?

Cover depicting Ben Reilly (Scarlet Spider) possessed by Carnage = Spider Carnage.