• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,830 posts in this topic

Any one else shocked by the price tag on the Thief of Thieves comics. I don't know which number shocks me more the $300+ for the comicspro variant or the $30+ for the raw #1s. I knew there would be heat but I didn't imagine there would be this much heat. Apparently people are very confident that another Kirkman project at AMC will get made and suceed again. The comicspro variant went from $50 to $300 over night!

I saw a ton of Thief of Thieves #1s at C2E2, all priced at $10-15 each. They weren't selling.

ToT Comicspro variants for $75-100. They weren't selling either.

And Saga #1 RRPs priced between $150 and $200. They were still there Sunday at closing.

As you've been told repeatedly, single isolated sales don't make up a trend.

There are currently 3 auctions on eBay UK for 1st print #1s set at $15 each and none of them have bids. The only one that does is currently at $5.

I have yet to read the story to see if it is any good but I don't think Kirkmans name attached to this is actually pushing the prices? I mean Kirkman is attached to Haunt and that sells at less then cover price.

Here's a strange little blip, I'm currently reading the new Hellraiser series (I recommend it too!) I put up for sale the first 6 issues, #1 & #5 sold for less then cover but for #3, two bidders went at it and it sold for $14! Weird.

I am pleased to report that I had tow WD lots end last night with each getting in the $6-$10 range per comic in the lot. No keys, a WDW 2 in there, but everything else in the 80s, 90s.

I am not pelased to report that the guy who won $75 worth of lots has still not paid after almost 2 weeks and I doubt he will as he seems to have bid over his head on a lot of auctions and will not respond to my polite e-mails. Dang 8 feedback bidders! What is the rule for putting in a NPB thingy again? It has actually been a long time since I have done so, but I'd like to get my fees back and re-list.

I saw a ton of Thief of Thieves #1s at C2E2, all priced at $10-15 each. They weren't selling.

Are you sure they weren't the Image Con variants? The ComicsPro variant has been selling for $200-$300 pretty consistently since the 13th.

The isolated sales are actually the ones that are below $200 at this point...

I am not pelased to report that the guy who won $75 worth of lots has still not paid after almost 2 weeks and I doubt he will as he seems to have bid over his head on a lot of auctions and will not respond to my polite e-mails. Dang 8 feedback bidders! What is the rule for putting in a NPB thingy again? It has actually been a long time since I have done so, but I'd like to get my fees back and re-list.

In your ebay Selling interface, find the unpaid auctions and hold down the "More Actions" menu until you see the "Report a Buyer" option. Report ALL the auctions that are unpaid. It may be that filing NPBs will be enough to get him moving. If not, you will still get your fees back but I think you have to wait 7 days, so might as well get the ball rolling. Once it's settled, you can also try sending Second Chance BIN auctions to the underbidders, and maybe skip having to relist stuff.

Are you sure they weren't the Image Con variants? The ComicsPro variant has been selling for $200-$300 pretty consistently since the 13th.

Yes, it was the Comicspro variants.

The last 4 Saga #1 RRP variant sales on ebay were $100, $80, $48 and $100. There's not a single completed $200 sale on ebay.

Yes, it was the Comicspro variants.

The last 4 Saga #1 RRP variant sales on ebay were $100, $80, $48 and $100. There's not a single completed $200 sale on ebay.

Oh, my bad. I thought you were referring to an isolated ComicsPro sale, not the Saga sale.

Edited by MojoComics

Comicspro are having no trouble whatsoever selling for more than $200 each...you should have bought them. This was the last one that sold.

ToT Comicspro

I shouln't had sol mine for $100 back when I felt th market was cooling doh!

Oh well, hopefully I'll do okay with the regular covers.

Any one else shocked by the price tag on the Thief of Thieves comics. I don't know which number shocks me more the $300+ for the comicspro variant or the $30+ for the raw #1s. I knew there would be heat but I didn't imagine there would be this much heat. Apparently people are very confident that another Kirkman project at AMC will get made and suceed again. The comicspro variant went from $50 to $300 over night!

And Saga #1 RRPs priced between $150 and $200. They were still there Sunday at closing.

The regular ToT 1s have sold repeatedly on eBay in the $20-$35 range, so it's a trend there.

However, what you noted at C2E2 makes me wonder if the internet sales are inflated by hype, perhaps generated to an extent on this very board. hm

The regular ToT 1s have sold repeatedly on eBay in the $20-$35 range, so it's a trend there.

However, what you noted at C2E2 makes me wonder if the internet sales are inflated by hype, perhaps generated to an extent on this very board. hm

I don't think the ebay needs this board's help to inflate the price of a Kirkman property that has been optioned by AMC.

The prices may have been lower at C2E2, but that would just be a case of the real world lagging behind the internet hype machine. You get a bit out of touch when you're penned up in a convention center all weekend and, apparently, these days books can quadruple in price over the same period of time. doh!

I bought 14 copies of ToT #1 at a random LCS on Friday - that doesn't mean it's still a $2.99 book.

I don't think the ebay needs this board's help to inflate the price of a Kirkman property that has been optioned by AMC.

No, not entirely, which is why I noted 'to an extent'. However, this board's effect on collecting trends has been seen before - see the Hulk 377 3rd print thread for example.

I bought 14 copies of ToT #1 at a random LCS on Friday - that doesn't mean it's still a $2.99 book.

No, but one person bought those 14 copies. It's when 14 buyers want and buy a copy that the prices realized become a reflection of true demand for the book, and not hype and speculation.

So the same person is buying every $20+ copy on ebay?

The #1 & 2 set that ended at $52.87 last night had 7 different bidders over $20. Clearly they all want a copy.

Of course, they probably want a copy because of the hype and speculation, so we're not disagreeing on that...

So what we actually have with ToT's is that, because of the TV series hype, the prices have been going up, but the demand for the book hasn't met that.

I propose a new word for this as, it's not really heating up as much as the sellers are fanning the flames to get it to heat up.

We'll call it fanning.

They're not actually heating up.

They're fanning.

Not that I'm complaining. That's the way the hobby works. Heck, back in the day I remember having multiple copies of Gen 13 #1 at a show and raising my price on my copies a couple of times throughout. Still sold out of it. Now that book was hot! Boy, those were the days.

Bought two beautiful NM+ copies of it at C2E2 for $2 each. I'm still buying that doggone book.

The #1 & 2 set that ended at $52.87 last night had 7 different bidders over $20. Clearly they all want a copy.

Of course, they probably want a copy because of the hype and speculation, so we're not disagreeing on that...

Seriously. I just listed three ToT #1 first prints on ebay for $80 as a BIN/Best Offer. In less than two hours 16 people looked at the auction, I received three different offers in the $50-70 range, and finally a fourth buyer hit the BIN at my asking price. You can speculate as to the motivations I guess, but there is demand for this book... and damn, if those of us on this board do have this kind of power, I wish we'd flex it a lot more often. :grin:

Seriously. I just listed three ToT #1 first prints on ebay for $80 as a BIN/Best Offer. In less than two hours 16 people looked at the auction, I received three different offers in the $50-70 range, and finally a fourth buyer hit the BIN at my asking price. You can speculate as to the motivations I guess, but there is demand for this book... and damn, if those of us on this board do have this kind of power, I wish we'd flex it a lot more often. :grin:

yeah, i've been watching ToT #1 on ebay. every copy has gone for over $20 by the end of the auction. some for far more. there's definitely a demand for the book, obviously thanks to the possible tv show. this book COULD be the next $100-200 book, but ONLY if the show gets made. of course, there's also people buying it because it's a really great title and very fun to read.

Congrats on the sale.

It does seem strange to see some of these sales on eBay when, as Michael said, there were plenty of copies of this book at C2E2 that just sat there. Nobody was buying it for $15 to $30.

Maybe we need another word for when speculator's overpay buying from each other on eBay to give an impression that a book is hot.

Incestuous?

No. That's kinda creepy.

That's a bit literal. lol

I'm not sure how you'd quantify how many buyers are accumulating ahead of hopes for the TV project. Would 50-200 be a reasonable guess? Opinions?