• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,822 posts in this topic

from my slickdeals days...the rule is never call ahead..it just alerts them that something is potentially hot.

Maybe. But if I just showed up, I wouldn't have gotten the $15 deal.

Actually...if you hadn't called ahead, they'd probably have been $10. ;-)

Wasn't The Vault supposed to be the next big thing? What happened with that?

Buy Kirkman & Buy Often

How many copies of Haunt & Astounding Wolfman do you own?

i've got boatloads of SuperPatriot, Brit, Capes, Tech Jacket and MTU as well. I'm gonna be filthy stinkin rich.

I agree the guy don't :censored: gold. Haunt isnt burning up the charts. Too many people read these boards for advice like that to be given.

+1. Nothing against Kirkman, but if one writer could generate that type of heat for every project he worked on, wouldn't it be Neil Gaiman? or Alan Moore?

that was then, this is now ;)

Then, now, or in the future, I still say Gaiman and Moore write circles around Kirkman.

i think Kirkman is a good marketer.

No doubt about it. He's a great business man, a pretty good writer, but I wouldn't consider him a Gaiman/Moore class writer. Those guys are just on a whole other level.

Brian K Vaughn is on the hottest writing streak in comics imo.

Also true. He's very selective with his projects, concentrating on one book at a time, and I think that shows in the quality.

But, man, the ending of Ex Machina was such a bummer. Same goes for Y: The Last Man. Good endings, just sad.

The trajectory for WD was how a book with legs is born. A low print run in the beginning which ultimately becomes a popular long running series. WD 1 started demanding multiples of cover quickly and was selling into the low hundreds after 7 years. One cultural phenomenon later and the series has literally exploded. This was before Kirkman became "Midas Touch Kirkman".

All these new titles are following a very different path. Collector hoarding does not make a good long term investment, unless the non-collector becomes the consumer of the title. Even if they do, the landing after a parabolic rise is usually much more uncomfortable on the brown star.

Also, barring gimmicks like the New 52, Marvel and DC are as stagnant as a sex swing in an old age home. If it weren't for the torch carriers they would have major issues.

no matter how many logical conclusions of what should happen, or using past experiences of what has happened, it won't change most people's buying habits on a 'hot' comic. Hot comics are mostly illogical in nature, thus the use of the words crazy, insane, nuts, etc.

Edited by krighton

Like Mike said: the paradox of the hot comic is, if everyone thinks it's a hot comic, it won't be a hot comic for very long.

If something is tabbed as the "next big thing" right out of the gate, then it will be hot while all the collectors buy them up to stash them away. But that level of hotness is unsustainable once all the speculators get their fill, or the TV show doesn't happen, or when the next "next big thing" comes out.

If there is a "next big thing," nobody knows what it is yet. It got ignored when it was released and only in the years to come will people realize it. A la Walking Dead.

from my slickdeals days...the rule is never call ahead..it just alerts them that something is potentially hot.

Maybe. But if I just showed up, I wouldn't have gotten the $15 deal. Plus, wasting gas money is worse. If ur gonna flip books, u can't waste money driving to shops that don't have books u can flip.

I don't even want my shop owners knowing what I am buying out of the dollar box, I have an employee ring me up whenever possible and try to disguise purchases of multiples out of there if they are something I hope to flip. I don't want the owner seeing what I am buying and deciding maybe he can squeeze more out.

Maybe. But if I just showed up, I wouldn't have gotten the $15 deal. Plus, wasting gas money is worse. If ur gonna flip books, u can't waste money driving to shops that don't have books u can flip.

I don't even want my shop owners knowing what I am buying out of the dollar box, I have an employee ring me up whenever possible and try to disguise purchases of multiples out of there if they are something I hope to flip. I don't want the owner seeing what I am buying and deciding maybe he can squeeze more out.

Yeah thats the bad thing when dealers know you have a knack for picking up the books that turn hot. They want to see what you're buying and then you get the same dumb remark.."so how much are these going for on Ebay". It's hard for me to go in any shop in this area and buy anything...even if it's a book I need for one of my customers...I get that look...like they think I am trying to pull one over on 'em. I was in a guys shop last week going through his .50 blowout boxes...the owner wasn't there...I picked up 3 same copies of one book..and 2 same copies of another book...and the guy says "I can only sell you 1 of each of these." Out of a .50 blowout box!! I can understand the new comics,but damn...you're discounting these to try and get rid of them.

I find it best to always play dumb when buying things from my LCS. Most of the guys (if not all of them) that work there are completely ignorant or clueless of how to handle new comics, let alone how much they're selling for online.

I've also begun to try and go in different days and have different people ring me up so as to not induce a pattern of buying the same books over and over. The funny thing is, and it doesn't seem like it at all, but I've somehow managed to have picked up around 30 copies of Fatale #1 since the issue came out.

I was in a guys shop last week going through his .50 blowout boxes...the owner wasn't there...I picked up 3 same copies of one book..and 2 same copies of another book...and the guy says "I can only sell you 1 of each of these." Out of a .50 blowout box!! I can understand the new comics,but damn...you're discounting these to try and get rid of them.

:o

C2E2 report...

GFT books were not appearing to do anything at the exhibitor booths each time I walked by. There was a gorgeous EBas cover for something that looked amazing from the production value.

Good report Jon. I've never seen the appeal of these books. They've always felt like all flash, no substance, manufactured rarities. This market will implode at some point. The only reason I would buy these is if I loved them and never planned to sell them. Otherwise, they feel like Lady Death and Witchblade all over again.

C2E2 report...

GFT books were not appearing to do anything at the exhibitor booths each time I walked by. There was a gorgeous EBas cover for something that looked amazing from the production value.

Good report Jon. I've never seen the appeal of these books. They've always felt like all flash, no substance, manufactured rarities. This market will implode at some point. The only reason I would buy these is if I loved them and never planned to sell them. Otherwise, they feel like Lady Death and Witchblade all over again.

Agreed. And most of these covers just strike me as terribly tasteless as well. I guess there's a market for that, though...as they keep selling.

I try the same. Comic store owners aren't that stupid. When I went back in to a few stores after buying WD comics, they prices were jacked up. The worst thing was that a few of them told me that they jacked them up because of me. And it wasn't like any of them knew me either. The worst was the guy who found 10 copies of WD Weekly #1 in the back, who originally sold me all of his Weeklies for $2 each.

A dealer at a local show had a few copies of ToT #1 for $6 each, but I only got 1. i don't think that book will maintain much of a value at all. People are just caught up in a temporary hype.

Edited by lemonman5

Also true. He's very selective with his projects, concentrating on one book at a time, and I think that shows in the quality.

But, man, the ending of Ex Machina was such a bummer. Same goes for Y: The Last Man. Good endings, just sad.

The ending to Y was..........incredibly awesome!!

The ending to Y was..........incredibly awesome!!

The last scene with Ampersand. Man...

I think that's the only time I teared up reading a comic.