• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

This weeks modern comics heating up that are NOT variants:

• Thief of Thieves #1
  • The Goon #3
  • Batman: Harley Quinn
  • Batman: Vengence of Bane #1
  • Detective Comics #1
  • Malibu Sun #13
  • Action Comics #1
  • Saga #1
  • Dark Avengers #1
  • X-O Manowar #1

and two bonus books heating up that just missed the cut:

• Amazing Spider-Man #441
  • Nightwing #4

Check out how many variants were not included in this list (ie. Thief of Thieves was actually number 24 on that list) over at The Market

I love the list of books that are not variants. To be honest, the variants bug the hell out of me, so it's very refreshing to see this list.

What's going on in Malibu Sun 13, ASM 441, and Nightwing 4?

Amazing Spider-Man 441 is a spidey fan favorite. Carnage + Silver Surfer = awesome!

Malibu Sun 13 is the 1st appearance of Spawn which seems to have a ton of fans lately.

Nightwing 4 ... no clue. (shrug)

Amazing Spider-Man 441 is a spidey fan favorite. Carnage + Silver Surfer = awesome!

Malibu Sun 13 is the 1st appearance of Spawn which seems to have a ton of fans lately.

Nightwing 4 ... no clue. (shrug)

ASM 430/431 are the Carnage/SS issues. :gossip:

441 is the last issue in the 1963 numbering run.

Nightwing 4 may simply be a reflection of order drop-offs. 2c

Isn't Malibu Sun techinically the 1st Spawn?

Not a knock on you, obviously, but I can't believe people are considering a solicitation mag a first appearance. I mean, technically, Previews probably has the first appearances of half of new modern characters.

Maybe I should go stockpile whatever issue of previews shows the cover image of NYX #3 or, better yet, Walking Dead #1!! Previews #25896712 - the first appearance of Rick Grimes!

This weeks modern comics heating up that are NOT variants:

• Thief of Thieves #1
  • The Goon #3
  • Batman: Harley Quinn
  • Batman: Vengence of Bane #1
  • Detective Comics #1
  • Malibu Sun #13
  • Action Comics #1
  • Saga #1
  • Dark Avengers #1
  • X-O Manowar #1

and two bonus books heating up that just missed the cut:

• Amazing Spider-Man #441
  • Nightwing #4

Check out how many variants were not included in this list (ie. Thief of Thieves was actually number 24 on that list) over at The Market

I love the list of books that are not variants. To be honest, the variants bug the hell out of me, so it's very refreshing to see this list.

Variants are manufactured collectibles that have a short window for opportunity .Think of the Franklin Mint.

caveat emptor ;)

Isn't Malibu Sun techinically the 1st Spawn?

Not a knock on you, obviously, but I can't believe people are considering a solicitation mag a first appearance. I mean, technically, Previews probably has the first appearances of half of new modern characters.

Maybe I should go stockpile whatever issue of previews shows the cover image of NYX #3 or, better yet, Walking Dead #1!! Previews #25896712 - the first appearance of Rick Grimes!

I agree 100%, but I find it silly that Gobbledygook #1 has any value as it just shows an ad for Turtles #1 but a lot of people consider ad placements to be key so (shrug)

Last two eBay sales on ASM 441:

$0.99

$3.25

Doesn't seem hot to me (shrug)

i agree, though there were a few $5 buys, and i guess since this should be a .50 book, it's technically heating up...but not really worth looking for.

Edited by Hawkman

Last two eBay sales on ASM 441:

$0.99

$3.25

Doesn't seem hot to me (shrug)

i agree, though there were a few $5 buys, and i guess since this should be a .50 book, it's technically heating up...but not really worth looking for.

In order to gauge whether a book is heating up (or cooling down), you need to compare it to historical sales data. Whetteon's list - as he explained previously - is a list comprised of:

"eBay books that are not graded, listed in the modern age category, have at least 2 bids and are valued at more than $10"

So it really has nothing to do with whether a book is heating up or not.

Here's an example:

There are currently three auctions for an ASM #431 on eBay - they're at $12.47 (with 2 hours to go), $6.77, and $0.99 (in order of listing date).

Completed listings for that book shows sales of $14.99, $29.99, $39.95 (with an ASM #430), $39.95 (with an ASM #430), $29.00, $45.00, $20.50 and $13.00 - listed in order of end date (most recent first).

As of this post, it actually looks like this book has either cooled down or remained flat.

As of this post, it actually looks like this book has either cooled down or remained flat.

one sold yesterday for $15 and one also sold for $30. the one that sold for $15 is listed as VF/NM whereas the other was listed as NM. there's one at $12 with 2 hours left. let's see where that ends, and then we can get an idea if it's dropping or not. there's also one with 3 days left at $10

Edited by Hawkman