• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Well, just a second there, professor. API call?

Had to look that one up.

Kids these days. ???

Ebay is actually just a giant database. The company produces a web-based interface for this giant database, and uses it to create EBay.com, etc

Eventually they decided to share some of that capability, and make it public. Developers can write their own front end tools to the ebay database. Developers then hope to make ad revenue from people visiting their site, and affiliate revenue by you clicking on their links to go to ebay and buying something (they get a cut). EBay gets more traffic and business, everybody wins.

The search feature you are asking about is not made available on ebay.com (they could, they just havent). Therefore, it is only available via the public interface (API) they make available.

You can write your own website to do the search (and many other things), but not directly on Ebay.com.

Ebay's Historical sales data is extremely valuable, so they do not allow you to store it, or search a significant amount of it. (They don't want their server load for years of data being pulled, and they want to monetize it). What I was saying about GPA, is either he's arranged with them to have the data he collects and pays them for it, OR, he has scripts that run every so often and mine public search results. The latter would be a serious lawsuit if ebay found out, so I presume the former.

Edited by CBT

Well, just a second there, professor. API call?

Had to look that one up.

Kids these days. ???

Ebay is actually just a giant database. The company produces a web-based interface for this giant database, and uses it to create EBay.com, etc

Eventually they decided to share some of that capability, and make it public. Developers can write their own front end tools to the ebay database. Developers then hope to make ad revenue from people visiting their site, and affiliate revenue by you clicking on their links to go to ebay and buying something (they get a cut). EBay gets more traffic and business, everybody wins.

The search feature you are asking about is not made available on ebay.com (they could, they just havent). Therefore, it is only available via the public interface (API) they make available.

You can write your own website to do the search (and many other things), but not directly on Ebay.com.

Ebay's Historical sales data is extremely valuable, so they do not allow you to store it, or search a significant amount of it. (They don't want their server load for years of data being pulled, and they want to monetize it). What I was saying about GPA, is either he's arranged with them to have the data he collects and pays them for it, OR, he has scripts that run every so often and mine public search results. The latter would be a serious lawsuit if ebay found out, so I presume the former.

I was just about to say the same thing :P

(...but checked before posting)

Behind all the whizzy website stuffs Ebay itself is just a large database of people buying and selling. Pretty much like a very large accounts book it has lots and lots of tables of information... and the website ebay.com is one way of viewing these tables in an organised but rigid manner (e.g. on ebay itself you can see watchcount but only on the items you are selling).

Ebay allows both developers and partners to call most of the information from the very same database tables and organise it in any manner they choose. They may differ from Ebay and choose to let you see the watchcount on items because it is a useful bit of info that attracts your attention.

https://www.ebaypartnernetwork.com/files/hub/en-US/howitWorks.html

If you drive sales and signups to ebay then they give you shiny round things. People love shiny round things.

When it comes to storing ebay's historical data there are other rules they impose. Most of the information about what is and isn't allowed can be reviewed if you search for either the Ebay partner or developer network.

I found a new honey hole today but unfortunately wasn't able to pick them all dince they were closing early. I pulled out some nice stuff including Transformers 74 (x6) & 80, Batman Adv 12, 56 issues of Infinity Gauntlet, MOTU 12 (x11), etc. My question is this.......would you buy a couple hundred Nintendo Valiant issues for 50 cents each? I saw at least a dozen copies of each Zelda and probably 30+ of all the Marios ( I say all but maybe not as I really wasn't sure which was the last, how many series, etc)?

Edited by TAFKADixie

GPA either has a unique agreement to acquire it, or it illegally strips the data with scripts and stores it against ebay's rules.

Any particular reason you're trying to sow doubt as to whether GPA acquires their eBay data legally? :doh:

eBay has an eBay Market Data program which allows you purchase access to the data you need:

http://go.developer.ebay.com/developers/ebay/programs/marketdata

GPA is using the same information that's available to anyone else who cares to pay for it.

I found a new honey hole today but unfortunately wasn't able to pick them all dince they were closing early. I pulled out some nice stuff including Transformers 74 (x6) & 80, Batman Adv 12, 56 issues of Infinity Gauntlet, MOTU 12 (x11), etc. My question is this.......would you buy a couple hundred Nintendo Valiant issues for 50 cents each? I saw at least a dozen copies of each Zelda and probably 30+ of all the Marios ( I say all but maybe not as I really wasn't sure which was the last, how many series, etc)?

Seems like an ok bet for some of them. Just looking at what has sold there is mostly a trickle of $2 - $4 sales. The runs seem to be attract more bidders if you can put them together. If it was me I would only go for the most popular titles and leave the rest based on the amount of time and effort listing vs return. Chances are you could come back for the less popular ones at a later date anyway.

Any particular reason you're trying to sow doubt as to whether GPA acquires their eBay data legally? :doh:

eBay has an eBay Market Data program which allows you purchase access to the data you need:

GPA is using the same information that's available to anyone else who cares to pay for it.

I mentioned the site you referred to(TerraPeak) in my post, just not by name. I only repeated myself, because i was explaining my first post in greater detail.

I have used TerraPeak's service previously, and have interacted with their founder. The data they produce is not what GPA is using, from everything I have seen.

Also, if you google the subject, you can find old threads on THIS actual board where other people speculate that its just scripts mining.

If I was sowing any doubt, it was against those old posts, in saying that "it can't be that", because it would be a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

TerraPeak is not actually the sole data provider as the link you posted appears to show. TerraPeak themselves is recent startup (western Canada I believe, Vancouver/seattle area), who've licensed from ebay the ability to license others.

I assume GPA has some direct arrangement with Ebay itself, and if anything I am curious what it is and how much is charged. I've been meaning to contact Ebay directly and ask them what GPA's arrangement is, but haven't gotten around to it. If someone else knows, then I'd love to hear it, otherwise someday I'll post it when I get around to inquiring.

Edited by CBT

I was just about to say the same thing :P

(...but checked before posting)

lol

i thought you were just mocking me for posting a long post, then i saw in the spoiler, we really did almost type the same thing :D

I mentioned the site you referred to(TerraPeak) in my post, just not by name. I only repeated myself, because i was explaining my first post in greater detail.

I have used TerraPeak's service previously, and have interacted with their founder. The data they produce is not what GPA is using, from everything I have seen.

Also, if you google the subject, you can find old threads on THIS actual board where other people speculate that its just scripts mining.

If I was sowing any doubt, it was against those old posts, in saying that "it can't be that", because it would be a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

TerraPeak is not actually the sole data provider as the link you posted appears to show. TerraPeak themselves is recent startup (western Canada I believe, Vancouver/seattle area), who've licensed from ebay the ability to license others.

I assume GPA has some direct arrangement with Ebay itself, and if anything I am curious what it is and how much is charged. I've been meaning to contact Ebay directly and ask them what GPA's arrangement is, but haven't gotten around to it. If someone else knows, then I'd love to hear it, otherwise someday I'll post it when I get around to inquiring.

I have used TerraPeak's services in the past as well ;)

If you're willing to pay, they'll give you access to whatever data you need - getting the same information that GPA is getting is not an issue.

Why on earth would eBay give you information about a specific licensing agreement with another client?

I would pay 50 cents a piece for NM Nintendo Valiants all day long.

Why those titles? I tried to do a little research behind it before asking, but I can't find anything.

I now the Spider-Man Unlimited Vol. 2 #8 is the first comic writing by Joe Hill. Though I don't know why a Locke and Key show/movie would be good for that book. I own a few myself, but don't know if it will gain any momentum ever.

Research the Locke & Key Appreciation Thread here in Moderns. Some goofball in love with Locke & Key (:screwy: ) did an analysis (with pictures) on it's importance in the Locke & Key universe. lol

I'm going to go ahead and say, look at the census for Locke and Key.

the Key issues (the 9.9s and 10's and the SS 9.9s) have always demanded large coin. #1s are also big $$$ books.

I do not think anyone who doesn't already own several Locke and Key slabs should buy this title hoping to make money - the market is already pretty saturated (a lot were done when Isanove came to the US for a signing). 2c

???

The last #1 CGC 9.9 copy that was up for public sale went for $240, the one before that for $199.

When NewEnglandGothic was selling off the last parts of his registry, he was blowing out non-key 9.9s for $30 and had to drop the price to $25 before they sold.

Apart from someone hitting a $250 BIN on a #1 CGC 9.8 yesterday (hmm ... I wonder why), 9.8s have been selling for $100-150 pretty steadily - in this day & age of freshly-released Image #1s hitting $100 straight off the bat, I wouldn't exactly call that "big $$$".

I didn't account for board sales, I only did ebay reverse search.

I can't disagree with anything you've said, but I'm kind of irritated I was not informed of a $30 9.9 slab sale. :sorry:

lol That was a fun thread.

The mario and zelda books sell well on eBay in sets in any sort of readable shape. I would be a buyer of all of them at $0.50 as long as I could make sets. Sets don't have to be complete, just groups of different issues.

If you get any 9.8 candidates be sure to send me a PM. Or if you decide to pass or are willing to send the couple hundred books to me, also let me know. How were they stored?

For what it's worth Lock & Key Rumors are back...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-picks-up-locke-key-571840

Issues to own? I think I am right on all of these. It could be issue 3 not two of Snaked but I cannot remember for sure.

Futuristic tales of the here and now 3

Snaked 2

Badger Saves the World 3

Doctor Who Classics 2, 2b

Spider-Man Unlimited 8

:shy:

It's Snaked #2.

Anyone want the complete list of preview books?

I never posted it in the L&K thread.

There's a few. lol

The mario and zelda books sell well on eBay in sets in any sort of readable shape. I would be a buyer of all of them at $0.50 as long as I could make sets. Sets don't have to be complete, just groups of different issues.

If you get any 9.8 candidates be sure to send me a PM. Or if you decide to pass or are willing to send the couple hundred books to me, also let me know. How were they stored?

I doubt there will be any 9.8. Unbagged, unboarded, most not even in comic boxes, just upright stacks in larger storage boxes. There are still some nice copies, just not 9.8s

There's a few. lol

Lay it on me!

I'll look for it this weekend. I have a pretty good idea where it is. It has release dates and print runs too. It was my next focus to include on the obverse slots of my Registry set.

I would pay 50 cents a piece for NM Nintendo Valiants all day long.

+1 (thumbs u

Send those copies to me!

Whetteon - maybe some of these people think you know the original price for everything? Thus, the dumb comments.

I for one enjoy your informational posts, please keep 'em coming.

It's not a dumb comment to point out that books some people are posting as "heating up" are in fact, not heating up, but cooling down. This is the heating up thread after all.

In fact, the particular issue (X-O Manowar 1 GOLD) sold for $43, which is less than the "retail" price this comic sold for on DCBS when this comic was first released. I cannot remember if this was sold on DCBS for $100 or $150 originally.

I am honestly not understanding the issue here. If someone post misinformation, we should just ignore it? (shrug)

Here is what you posted;

These went for $100 out of the gate and this one just sold for less than $50. Is this the cooling off thread?

You picked on Whetteon for providing information...yet he believes it to be heating up because he was obviously not aware what it originally retailed at. So, you poked at him.

So, maybe you could have replied and said something like just letting you know this book originally costed whatever and has not apprecaited at all. That or something close might have worked better.

I see you forgot the :baiting: icon when you quoted me. Which pretty much implied I was writing what I wrote in humor. I was just disputing this particular post because I happen to know something about the historical value of that particular comic.

Honestly, my posting wasn't meant to be offensive and seemed pretty tame to many of the posts I see on these boards. I have no beef with Whetteon and appreciate his efforts. I don't see my posting as picking on him at all. Are you being a tad bit over sensitive?

Edited by rjrjr

There's a few. lol

Lay it on me!

I can't for the life of me find that stoopid list. But from memory:

Besides these,

Futuristic tales of the here and now 3

Snaked 2

Badger Saves the World 3

Doctor Who Classics 2, 2b

Spider-Man Unlimited 8

There is...

Angel: After The Fall #3

Star Trek: Intelligence Gathering #1

Star Trek: Borg

Zipper #3

Speed Racer #1

...and at least a couple more that came before the February 20th release date of Locke & Key.

Doctor Who #1 and Gentleman Wormwood #2 came after, with previews.

Plus, remember interior panels were altered in #1 first print by the trade (& DF Editions) to take out the Bode time travel storyline, in result the violence was toned down and Dodge's crown disappeared along with his/her creepy voice. The 2nd print still has the original panels though. This might make these issues a little more desirable in the long run.