• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Not "hot" titles.

Good material.

Good material has the potential to become a "hot title"

Out of the 1,900 remaining DM accounts, I firmly believe only 200 of them read comics & actually have the ability to determine what is solid, marketable material.

If you read comics, you can predict what will be "hot" ( for a day, month, year or beyond)

You HAVE to read to be a decent modern speculator in my opinion.

Not "hot" titles.

Good material.

Out of the 1,900 remaining DM accounts, I firmly believe only 200 of them read comics & actually have the ability to determine what is solid, marketable material.

If you read comics, you can predict what will be "hot" ( for a day, month, year or beyond)

I couldn't agree more. There are factors other than just the quality of the story like print runs, TV/movie deals, word of mouth, etc. but the quality of the story and art rule.

The majority of the people in the shops I frequent do NOT read the stuff they peddle. A guy selling comics that doesn't read them is like an out of shape fitness center owner. They limit how much and to whom they sell due to a lack of effort.

I noticed that while we are all enamored with Day Men which seems worthy of our attention, there are some bargains (at least the way I see it ) on Clone and Todd ( already brought up here yesterday ).

Clone 1 and 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321175965361?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

or about half counting shipping what Day Men is bringing. I think these will be far bigger books both in the near and distant future.

or how abot Clone 1,2,3,4,5 for the price of Day Men 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310716863097?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Not "hot" titles.

Good material.

I couldn't agree more. There are factors other than just the quality of the story like print runs, TV/movie deals, word of mouth, etc. but the quality of the story and art rule.

The majority of the people in the shops I frequent do NOT read the stuff they peddle. A guy selling comics that doesn't read them is like an out of shape fitness center owner. They limit how much and to whom they sell due to a lack of effort.

Completely agree about other factors.

Lets set "reading new material" as the foundation to modern speculation though.

The foundation can be built on with understanding print runs, media deals ect.

Edited by LarrysComics

Not "hot" titles.

Good material.

Completely agree about other factors.

Lets set "reading new material" as the foundation to modern speculation though.

The foundation can be built on with understanding print runs, media deals ect.

Yeah, your right. I speculate so I can buy more great stories. I'm always looking for the next story to make me as excited as I was when I read 70s X-Men, BWS Conan, Miller's Daredevil, Dark Knight and Sin City, Moore's Watchmen, Ellis' runs on Planetary and the Authority, or Kirkman on TWD and Invincible. The stories stick with you forever.

I'm glad The Wake and Collider are mentioned. Vertigo is making a comeback and the Sandman is coming with them. I haven't been this excited about Vertigo since...I can't even remember. You also got my attention with number 3 on your bestseller list. I'm going to take a look at one.

I noticed that while we are all enamored with Day Men which seems worthy of our attention, there are some bargains (at least the way I see it ) on Clone and Todd ( already brought up here yesterday ).

Clone 1 and 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321175965361?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

or about half counting shipping what Day Men is bringing. I think these will be far bigger books both in the near and distant future.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310716863097?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Day Men #1 was a better read for me than the #1 for either of those two books so I am not surprised.

In addition, I wonder how many boardies both sold and bought at the highs on those two?

And with the "lots of 10" for Day Men hitting the Bay, is it safe to say the bubble has bursted? My LCS owner chuckled, saying he's got 2 boxes of these still...does anyone know the actual print run? I think the Bay is getting flooded.

Ask your LCS owner to actually see the two boxes of copies in the back. If he does have them, make a bulk offer and pocket a tidy profit yourself.

Also, ask him how many other #1s he did the same thing on recently. If it is a bunch of titles, then he is likely going to take a bath just like most dealers that speculated heavily back in the early 90s did. I have been buying unread NM #98s from one LCS owner for the past year. He still had a case left in the back that he dug out a year or two ago. However, he also has unopened cases and long boxes full of other worthless books he speculated on back in the day as well. In his view, the profit from the NM #98s (he started them way too low at $50 apiece, then $75, and now $95 for the last few) should hopefully cover the cost of the rest of his spec plays that missed......

Edited by kimik

And with the "lots of 10" for Day Men hitting the Bay, is it safe to say the bubble has bursted? My LCS owner chuckled, saying he's got 2 boxes of these still...does anyone know the actual print run? I think the Bay is getting flooded.

Ask your LCS owner to actually see the two boxes of copies in the back. If he does have them, make a bulk offer and pocket a tidy profit yourself.

He does...and I did..and I hope I will :)

I agree with the previous posts about the foundations for speculation...but, DM#1 didnt blow me away. I never gave it another thought. I think I'm normally pretty good about reading something that's amazing and connecting the dots that it might take off...I guess my spidey sense was off on this one. Again, dont get me wrong, im THRILLED its doing well, I just didn't see it coming.

Clone 1 and 2

Day Men #1 was a better read for me than the #1 for either of those two books so I am not surprised.

In addition, I wonder how many boardies both sold and bought at the highs on those two?

Its hard to say but I know ofat least one buying every time they are cheap lol

Then why doesn't this guy list them all for 75% of the average selling price?

Because he wants to make his customers happy?

My LCS today said they are only putting two on the shelf at a time. They caught on early.

I went to a store on monday and bought 9 copies at cover. After I paid they got a rather large stack from the back and put it on the shelf for sale.

Arguably the largest comic book store in Toronto, which is one of the stores that usually sells out first when it comes to hot titles.

The Snail???

Then why doesn't this guy list them all for 75% of the average selling price?

Because he wants to make his customers happy?

My LCS today said they are only putting two on the shelf at a time. They caught on early.

I went to a store on monday and bought 9 copies at cover. After I paid they got a rather large stack from the back and put it on the shelf for sale.

Arguably the largest comic book store in Toronto, which is one of the stores that usually sells out first when it comes to hot titles.

Stores are finally catching on. They know to survive they have to pay attention to hot titles and keep their customers happy. I like the 2 on the shelf limit interesting viewpoint.

Maybe Larry can come in and share his thoughts on how he handles hot titles.

Good strategy to keep from selling out to hoarders/flippers, and to keep customers happy/share the wealth. What I HATE is the one store in town here that holds back.

The guy doesn't do it to keep a constant drip and happy customers though, he holds back, and then puts them at eBay prices a week later.

Clone 1 and 2

Everyone one keeps saying how good clone is. I read the first 2 or 3 so far. It seemed fine, but it hasn't sucked me in yet.

Todd actually did quite quickly though.

I'm glad The Wake and Collider are mentioned. Vertigo is making a comeback and the Sandman is coming with them. I haven't been this excited about Vertigo since...I can't even remember. You also got my attention with number 3 on your bestseller list. I'm going to take a look at one.

The Wake is awesome. Always loved the underwater base monster movies.

He does...and I did..and I hope I will :)

I agree with the previous posts about the foundations for speculation...but, DM#1 didnt blow me away. I never gave it another thought. I think I'm normally pretty good about reading something that's amazing and connecting the dots that it might take off...I guess my spidey sense was off on this one. Again, dont get me wrong, im THRILLED its doing well, I just didn't see it coming.

Mind MGMT was one title that took 5 or 6 issues to really start me into it, after which, I've loved it.

Bedlam, on the other hand, I read #1 and loved, and THAT'S when I went out and bought a bunch of extras. It was on the strength of the story that I speculated. I found issue #1 THAT good. In fact, I've found the rest of the story great, but not near the #1 level.

Bedlam #1 is seriously one of the best single issues I've ever read. Not sure if the floppies will ever pick up in value, especially since there are so damn many copies of #1 out there, but I'm always buying the Rossmo OA from the first arc. It's a thing of beauty in oversized B&W.