• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
69 69

63,923 posts in this topic

Patience and consistency pays well.

Patience as a seller? Because Todd #1-4 was going for $100ish and I had sets listed on here three weeks later for $5 above cover price and no one was buying. Clone #1? This was a $30-40 issue and now I can't get $15 for it on here last week. Then look at Rachel Rising or even PP. Again, profit is profit. There will always be the next title.

Patience as a seller? Because Todd #1-4 was going for $100ish and I had sets listed on here three weeks later for $5 above cover price and no one was buying. Clone #1? This was a $30-40 issue and now I can't get $15 for it on here last week. Then look at Rachel Rising or even PP. Again, profit is profit. There will always be the next title.

To each their own. I was buying Todd under $15 shipped less than 2 months ago. Many were selling too cheap in June and July , so when it got to $50 plus, I sold locally and now my remaining copies were paid for by someone else. I bought so many that im still selling them lol If you or I knew exactly what the top or bottom value of any books were life would be a lot easier lol

I watched my brother buy 4 Hulk 181s in NM back in the late 70s for around $5 each. He still has them though he has been offered Many hundreds of times his investment for them. Should he have sold them ? I don't know but they don't eat anything and they sure aren't getting any cheaper. I'm not suggesting that modern comics will do the same just that you don't have to sell the minute something goes up to be profitable.

I've operated under the same principle for many years. Sell enough to pay for what I keep. Literally everything I own in comics was paid for by selling other comics after my first 100 or so books. Patience may not pan out on modern comics for you but it does for me.

My point was, don't go chasing. Try to be ahead of the curve and sell when it makes sense. Selling at the lowest possible point just doesn't make good sense to me. I've been selling comics and automobiles for decades. There have always been people using your sales techniques and mine and if done well, both volume and gross sellers can be profitable.

Edited by The Authority

I watched my brother buy 4 Hulk 181s in NM back in the late 70s for around $5 each. He still has them though he has been offered Many hundreds of times his investment for them. Should he have sold them ? I don't know but they don't eat anything and they sure aren't getting any cheaper. I'm not suggesting that modern comics will do the same just that you don't have to sell the minute something goes up to be profitable.

:roflmao:

Day Men and Outliers still showing heat. Too bad I couldn't snag any Outliers at my lcs. :( sad panda

I didn't order Outliers because I didn't like the coloring on the cover lol

This is why you can take my advice and 10 cents and still need a few bucks to buy a cup of coffee lol

. Price is a constant dynamic,

(thumbs u

Free market economics. A supply/demand mismatch will cause the price point to shift.

Exactly. And these guys are talking about predicting price patterns. Slow Dime, Fast Nickel works for books that are have been around for 10 years, with clearly established price patterns.

His theory of holding out for the absolute best price is a serious gamble. Look at the guy that had all those Sixth Gun #1s, and was refusing offers of 85-90% of his ask. The price collapsed literally overnight, and he now regrets not taking some (if not all) of those profits. Don't be greedy!

Still have those Todds at $5 over cover? Ill take as many as you have.

(thumbs u

Free market economics. A supply/demand mismatch will cause the price point to shift.

Exactly. And these guys are talking about predicting price patterns. Slow Dime, Fast Nickel works for books that are have been around for 10 years, with clearly established price patterns.

His theory of holding out for the absolute best price is a serious gamble. Look at the guy that had all those Sixth Gun #1s, and was refusing offers of 85-90% of his ask. The price collapsed literally overnight, and he now regrets not taking some (if not all) of those profits. Don't be greedy!

Its just like the stock market in that you pay for a perception that may or may not reflect reality. The short term guys are like day traders. Nothing wrong with it but every bit as risky as the long term holders.To give some perspective. These were 50 comics for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLONE-1-SKYBOUND-IMAGE-/140968424246?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20d25f7336

They all brought asking price but was it worth being impatient ? I would rather let them sit. I could, as I'm sure you know, point out more winners and losers all day long. I don't personally pay over cover for a comic I intend to market. Most of the time, I pay roughly 50-65% of cover. I don't need to move anything right now. I am not suggesting that there aren't other ways to win at this game. I am suggesting that it shortsighted to think that selling as soon as something gets hot is the only method of winning.

In the car biz we call it tripping over quarters trying to grab pennies :grin:

Still have those Todds at $5 over cover? Ill take as many as you have.

+1

Day Men and Outliers still showing heat. Too bad I couldn't snag any Outliers at my lcs. :( sad panda

I didn't order Outliers because I didn't like the coloring on the cover lol

This is why you can take my advice and 10 cents and still need a few bucks to buy a cup of coffee lol

:signfunny:

(thumbs u

Its just like the stock market in that you pay for a perception that may or may not reflect reality. The short term guys are like day traders. Nothing wrong with it but every bit as risky as the long term holders.To give some perspective. These were 50 comics for sale.

You mention the car biz at the end, well my 'biz' is the equity markets. 15k hours in proprietary trading with three different firms, and now currently working in the trading division of a large institutional firm with 33 billion in assets.

Ultra-short term traders, such as the algos taking advantage of a tiered-sytem, actually have significantly less risk. Most people don't understand how fractured some of the equity markets really are, case in point - sub pennying and dark pools. It's a horrible analogy comparing trades closed in a single day (or in nanoseconds in some cases) to long-term investing.

And I don't think that link you provided is typical. I don't know if it's a mistake but I'm sure would represent a very small percentage of auctions, selling below cost. My point is that there is far, far too much randomness in selling to recent moderns to predict price.

I never suggested selling something as soon as it gets hot, if you have multiple copies, and want to offset purchasing costs, and can sell a new comic for 3-5 times what you paid, it makes sense to lock in some gain. Then you can hold onto any remaining issues to do what you like, instead of guessing which is hot and cold.