• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Day Men #1 @ $11 & 5 bids.

Amazing Spider-Man #569 @ $12 & 8 bids.

Futurama #1 @ $13 & 13 bids.

Amazing Spider-Man #601 @ $14 & 8 bids. Talking with others and this seems to be the new hot Spidey book.

Hawkeye #1 @ $14 & 3 bids.

IDW Turtles #1 @ $20 & 2 bids

Infinity #1 1:200 Variant @ $51 & 2 bids.

Onslaught X-Men Gold Cover Variant @ $56 & 3 bids.

Superman: Unchained 1:300 variant #3 @ $130 & 14 bids.

Sadly, I've been seeing a lot of shilling going on in the modern age auctions so be careful.

Patience and consistency pays well.

Patience as a seller? Because Todd #1-4 was going for $100ish and I had sets listed on here three weeks later for $5 above cover price and no one was buying. Clone #1? This was a $30-40 issue and now I can't get $15 for it on here last week. Then look at Rachel Rising or even PP. Again, profit is profit. There will always be the next title.

To each their own. I was buying Todd under $15 shipped less than 2 months ago. Many were selling too cheap in June and July , so when it got to $50 plus, I sold locally and now my remaining copies were paid for by someone else. I bought so many that im still selling them lol If you or I knew exactly what the top or bottom value of any books were life would be a lot easier lol

I watched my brother buy 4 Hulk 181s in NM back in the late 70s for around $5 each. He still has them though he has been offered Many hundreds of times his investment for them. Should he have sold them ? I don't know but they don't eat anything and they sure aren't getting any cheaper. I'm not suggesting that modern comics will do the same just that you don't have to sell the minute something goes up to be profitable.

I've operated under the same principle for many years. Sell enough to pay for what I keep. Literally everything I own in comics was paid for by selling other comics after my first 100 or so books. Patience may not pan out on modern comics for you but it does for me.

My point was, don't go chasing. Try to be ahead of the curve and sell when it makes sense. Selling at the lowest possible point just doesn't make good sense to me. I've been selling comics and automobiles for decades. There have always been people using your sales techniques and mine and if done well, both volume and gross sellers can be profitable.

(thumbs u Exactly!! Well said!

I was expecting Batman Incorporated #1 to sell for $100. But that has not been the case; it's selling for $50.

Batman Incorporated #1 = first appearance of Batcow.

Are you talking about the regular issue number 1 or a variant? The number one looks to sell for around cover or less.

, just throwing in my 2 cents in on how I buy/sell. I was not attacking your position, I was clearly stating mine. I hope yours works for you. :grin:

When I pay $200 for a college German Textbook, price is relative. If you can pay for these overpriced textbooks, you should get a 9.8 of a modern that you love to read.

lol. I just ordered my books for grad school and this post made me laugh out loud. So true. I couldn't help but think what each textbook translated to in terms of comics...but that's another story.

Sorry, had to chime in, I'll go back to lurking, this thread has been highly entertaining this weekend. ;)

That's why 3rd and 4th year were awesome, because we mainly had scientific journal articles to read instead of textbooks.

Patience as a seller? Because Todd #1-4 was going for $100ish and I had sets listed on here three weeks later for $5 above cover price and no one was buying. Clone #1? This was a $30-40 issue and now I can't get $15 for it on here last week. Then look at Rachel Rising or even PP. Again, profit is profit. There will always be the next title.

To each their own. I was buying Todd under $15 shipped less than 2 months ago. Many were selling too cheap in June and July , so when it got to $50 plus, I sold locally and now my remaining copies were paid for by someone else. I bought so many that im still selling them lol If you or I knew exactly what the top or bottom value of any books were life would be a lot easier lol

I watched my brother buy 4 Hulk 181s in NM back in the late 70s for around $5 each. He still has them though he has been offered Many hundreds of times his investment for them. Should he have sold them ? I don't know but they don't eat anything and they sure aren't getting any cheaper. I'm not suggesting that modern comics will do the same just that you don't have to sell the minute something goes up to be profitable.

I've operated under the same principle for many years. Sell enough to pay for what I keep. Literally everything I own in comics was paid for by selling other comics after my first 100 or so books. Patience may not pan out on modern comics for you but it does for me.

My point was, don't go chasing. Try to be ahead of the curve and sell when it makes sense. Selling at the lowest possible point just doesn't make good sense to me. I've been selling comics and automobiles for decades. There have always been people using your sales techniques and mine and if done well, both volume and gross sellers can be profitable.

There is a huge difference between buying the 1st appearance of a popular character (yes, Wolverine was popular from the get-go - people were requesting more appearances in the letters pages after the 180-182 run) vs. speculative TV/movie fueled hype. Too many people are using WD as the rule now when speculating on the next great comic based TV show/movie, but it is an exception and not the rule. Will Clone ever be put into production? Even if Todd is a hit as a niche cartoon, will it generate the widespread appeal needed to propel prices higher and sustain them?

When speculating on new books, my advice is sell enough copies to cover your investment right away and then let the free spare copies roll if you want to. If you are looking to hold for the long term, be prepared to wait as the book will spike, peak, drop, plateau then gradually rise in value over years if it builds a fan base, not days or months.

There is a huge difference between buying the 1st appearance of a popular character (yes, Wolverine was popular from the get-go - people were requesting more appearances in the letters pages after the 180-182 run) vs. speculative TV/movie fueled hype. Too many people are using WD as the rule now when speculating on the next great comic based TV show/movie, but it is an exception and not the rule. Will Clone ever be put into production? Even if Todd is a hit as a niche cartoon, will it generate the widespread appeal needed to propel prices higher and sustain them?

When speculating on new books, my advice is sell enough copies to cover your investment right away and then let the free spare copies roll if you want to. If you are looking to hold for the long term, be prepared to wait as the book will spike, peak, drop, plateau then gradually rise in value over years if it builds a fan base, not days or months.

As a guy with a non-comic, regular job, that's exactly what I do. Buying extras here and there doesn't cost tonnes, and I don't need to sell right away.

I was expecting Batman Incorporated #1 to sell for $100. But that has not been the case; it's selling for $50.

Are you talking about the regular issue number 1 or a variant? The number one looks to sell for around cover or less.

I was adding to the Batman #1 (Snyder) discussiin.

My point was that you can find batman incorporated #1 for dirt cheap, at cover price like you said. I was not expecting that since (1) first appearance and (2) there were some Animal Planet & Batcow rumors floating around.

I was referring to CGC 9.8. You can easily find the normal cover for $50. A recent Febay auction had them go both together for $60.

Edited by revivedrevival

Any particular reason?

This is the description of the comic:

Beneath Gotham City, Catwoman fights for her life! Plus, this issue will make you ask the question “Who is The Joker’s Daughter?”

speculation on the Jokers daughter. Doubt there will be an appearance however, it'll have to be a quick flip.

Any particular reason?

Beneath Gotham City, Catwoman fights for her life! Plus, this issue will make you ask the question “Who is The Joker’s Daughter?”

speculation on the Jokers daughter. Doubt there will be an appearance however, it'll have to be a quick flip.

Hasn't an appearance been confirmed on the last page?

Any particular reason?

:o didn't know that. I thought they were just gonna be talking about her in the issue as a lead up

Edit: Yup, you're right http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/27/speculator-corner-catwoman-23-spoilers/

Edited by Hodor

Any particular reason?

:o didn't know that. I thought they were just gonna be talking about her in the issue as a lead up

Edit: Yup, you're right http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/27/speculator-corner-catwoman-23-spoilers/

Smoke em if you got/get em...Also, #22 sales were 24,737

Larry, any indication if retailers were warned to up their orders like other titles in past?

Edited by awakeintheashes

Any particular reason?

Smoke em if you got/get em...Also, #22 sales were 24,737

Larry, any indication if retailers were warned to up their orders like other titles in past?

: since its possibly one panel would it be considered a cameo 1st app

I was adding to the Batman #1 (Snyder) discussiin.

My point was that you can find batman incorporated #1 for dirt cheap, at cover price like you said. I was not expecting that since (1) first appearance and (2) there were some Animal Planet & Batcow rumors floating around.

I was referring to CGC 9.8. You can easily find the normal cover for $50. A recent Febay auction had them go both together for $60.

I gotcha, thanks for the clarification. (thumbs u