• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

for the old guys that don't buy moderns anymore, you guys should post the cover images with every book that you claim is heating up....just saying, I might actually pick up a book or two :lol:

for the old guys that don't buy moderns anymore, you guys should post the cover images with every book that you claim is heating up....just saying, I might actually pick up a book or two :lol:

From a fellow old guy that is still buying moderns

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-ARROW-23-1-COUNT-VERTIGO-1-DC-COMICS-NEW-52-3D-MOTION-COVER-NM-/190897065369?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c725a0d99

This is one of the covers but pictures on the computer just don't do them justice. They are very similar in feel to the old 3D baseball cards that used to come in cereal boxes in the 60s and 70s.

Edited by The Authority

Hey, I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting into cgc book collecting. I followed a lot of comics a few years ago but currently I only following 2 titles. I want to get into the cgc stuff for personal interests rather than investment and right now the only place I know to find cgc books is ebay. Currently I only own 3 CGC books and I'm wondering how people decide how much is too much to spend on a modern title. To give you an example, I'm currently bidding on a copy of superman unchained #1, 1:300 BW variant signed by 3 of the people involved. This book is graded 9.8 and the current bids are climbing pretty quick.

Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Hey, I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting into cgc book collecting. I followed a lot of comics a few years ago but currently I only following 2 titles. I want to get into the cgc stuff for personal interests rather than investment and right now the only place I know to find cgc books is ebay. Currently I only own 3 CGC books and I'm wondering how people decide how much is too much to spend on a modern title. To give you an example, I'm currently bidding on a copy of superman unchained #1, 1:300 BW variant signed by 3 of the people involved. This book is graded 9.8 and the current bids are climbing pretty quick.

You need a subscription to GPA (www.comics.gpanalysis.com). They track actual sales of CGC graded comics from various online venues (eBay, Heritage, etc.). It's the best place to determine what a particular book in a certain grade is selling for.

And you'll find lots of CGC graded comics at the Heritage Comics website, Comiclink and here on the boards in the Marketplace area.

And welcome to the boards!

Edited by Shark

That's exactly what I'm looking for! I was worried I was overpaying for books.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!

No problem. Glad I could help. (thumbs u

And visit these boards frequently. You'll learn a lot in here.

I visit these boards all the time and I haven't learned a thing.

:facepalm:

lol (thumbs u

You need a subscription to GPA (www.comics.gpanalysis.com). They track actual sales of CGC graded comics from various online venues (eBay, Heritage, etc.). It's the best place to determine what a particular book in a certain grade is selling for.

And you'll find lots of CGC graded comics at the Heritage Comics website, Comiclink and here on the boards in the Marketplace area.

Hey guys. I took a hiatus from the boards for a while, but I'm back, and I've been following this thread for a bit. I've found my interest shift in the last few years to moderns alone, and I'm doing a little speculating, mostly to fund my own "habit." Do you find GPA useful when you are dealing in moderns only?

Edited by Big Dip

Hey guys. I took a hiatus from the boards for a while, but I'm back, and I've been following this thread for a bit. I've found my interest shift in the last few years to moderns alone, and I'm doing a little speculating, mostly to fund my own "habit." Do you find GPA useful when you are dealing in moderns only?

I don't think you want to incorporate GPA into the theme of 'flip this comic'. GPA works better for more-established books, not something that came out a few months ago. Older moderns and everything else it's a great resource, and well-worth the money.

Edited by spreads

Ok, so i'm back with another question!

I've come across RRP copies of books. From what i've found RRP stands for Retailer Roundtable Program. I've found that most of these books are variant covers and are exactly the same book except that they may not have the advertisements in them. So if these copies are limited to the number of retailers that attend these round table sessions, do they have any value, or are they insignificant?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the value system of modern books. Just because something is limited doesn't make it valuable.

Just trying to make informed purchases. :)

Ok, so i'm back with another question!

I've come across RRP copies of books. From what i've found RRP stands for Retailer Roundtable Program. I've found that most of these books are variant covers and are exactly the same book except that they may not have the advertisements in them. So if these copies are limited to the number of retailers that attend these round table sessions, do they have any value, or are they insignificant?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the value system of modern books. Just because something is limited doesn't make it valuable.

Just trying to make informed purchases. :)

Usually they are worth more than the regular edition. In some cases not much more, like the Uber RRP, but then there are books like Saga #1 RRP and Batman #608 RRP; they can command big money.

These tend to be very limited variants, which is why they are so desirable.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Thanks for the response.

I'm collecting for myself, not for resale, but it's good to know i'm not paying extra for something.

What do you guys collect, and how many of you collect as an investment?

Thanks for the response.

I'm collecting for myself, not for resale, but it's good to know i'm not paying extra for something.

What do you guys collect, and how many of you collect as an investment?

If you're worried about over-paying for something, then stay away from books that are a few months old. Investing in variants is not something I'd recommend.

You could do worse I guess (someone asked me once if they could buy penny stocks on a credit card, no joke).