• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,833 posts in this topic

Hah nah. There are only 4 stores in Philly. And no one really speculates in center city.

Only four?

I haven't lived back east in a while, but is Fat Jack's still there?

I always enjoyed going to Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr. They seemed to know what they were doing.

Hah nah. There are only 4 stores in Philly. And no one really speculates in center city.

Only four?

I always enjoyed going to Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr. They seemed to know what they were doing.

In Philadelphia. Fat Jack's in Rittenhouse, BNW in Old City, Atomic City on South St., and Locust Moon in University City.

Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr is my favorite store. When I lived in Manayunk that was the store I went to. I haven't been back there in the 4 months since I moved to center city. I wasn't a fan of the other they have in the one mall.

I also really like Comic Universe by the airport.

The creator runs the store. Don't you think they get preferential treatment?

It's too bad they don't take about ANY of the great comics out today like Todd, MGMT, etc. They could be using their platform to help the best creators get some real exposure, instead we get a poor a rip off of Pawn Stars and a fat guy ripping on a dude named Ming for 20 min.

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley and lived in Jersey (Trenton and then Flemington area) for years in the late 90s. I would take an every-two-months trip down to Bryn Mawr to go to Showcase and the record shop down the street.

Their mall store is, well, a mall store. Different clientele, so different stock.

The last time I was in Philadelphia, a couple of years ago, was for a conference, so I stayed at a hotel a block away from Reading Terminal. I looked for a shop within walking distance, but found nothing.

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley and lived in Jersey (Trenton and then Flemington area) for years in the late 90s. I would take an every-two-months trip down to Bryn Mawr to go to Showcase and the record shop down the street.

Their mall store is, well, a mall store. Different clientele, so different stock.

The last time I was in Philadelphia, a couple of years ago, was for a conference, so I stayed at a hotel a block away from Reading Terminal. I looked for a shop within walking distance, but found nothing.

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley too.

I am finishing at Jefferson in the spring and going to UPenn in the fall, so I live right in the middle. The hotel was the one probably across from the convention hall where they have Wizard World. But that's like 10-12 block walk to either Fat Jack's one way or Brave New Worlds the other.

I grew up in the Lehigh Valley too.

I am finishing at Jefferson in the spring and going to UPenn in the fall, so I live right in the middle. The hotel was the one probably across from the convention hall where they have Wizard World. But that's like 10-12 block walk to either Fat Jack's one way or Brave New Worlds the other.

It was a Marriott, maybe? I estimated the time to get to Fat Jack's, shop, and get back, and it was just too much. When I'm at these events (I think it was the ADA convention), I usually don't have much time during the day to step away and go places I want to.

The last time I went to Fat Jack's, it wasn't even at its current location, but that was probably 15 years ago or more.

Found a Cryptozoic Man #1 variant and a #2 today @ LCS. I'll take anything I have zero intention of reading that I can make a buck from to buy better

I bought two #2's from a store today. Now seeing that they're going for $7-15, maybe I should have picked up a few more. There was at least another 6 or 7 copies.

Only four?

That's what I thought, too.

We have 50% less people here, and have 8 or 9 stores.

The creator runs the store. Don't you think they get preferential treatment?

It's too bad they don't take about ANY of the great comics out today like Todd, MGMT, etc. They could be using their platform to help the best creators get some real exposure, instead we get a poor a rip off of Pawn Stars and a fat guy ripping on a dude named Ming for 20 min.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! Quote of the day!! hahaha.

And you're correct. The most "thrill" I get regarding modern comics in that show is seeing the Walking Dead #75 variant poster, and seeing East of West in the background every episode.

Spawn 185 sketch (CGC 9.8) just sold on eBay for $2,750.

WOW

What's the normal price???

And seems odd. Strange starting price, and only 1 bid.

Last copy sold for around $2,100 so a bit of a jump, but nothing crazy. For the hardcore Spawn collector with money to burn, this is pretty much the holy grail. Still can't believe I sold my raw copy for $50 :doh:

I quit easing Spawn after the first 80 or 90. Unlike a lot of people, I actually liked a lot of the early stuff like Overtkill, Angela, Tony Twist, etc. . Did it get better as it went on ? I'm also curious as to why that's the holy grail. It came out years after I was done so I had no idea.

Spawn 185 sketch (CGC 9.8) just sold on eBay for $2,750.

WOW

What's the normal price???

And seems odd. Strange starting price, and only 1 bid.

Last copy sold for around $2,100 so a bit of a jump, but nothing crazy. For the hardcore Spawn collector with money to burn, this is pretty much the holy grail. Still can't believe I sold my raw copy for $50 :doh:

And what's the deal with it. Why is it valuable? I'm assuming very rare. Is it a key issue at all (i.e. the content)?

I quit easing Spawn after the first 80 or 90. Unlike a lot of people, I actually liked a lot of the early stuff like Overtkill, Angela, Tony Twist, etc. . Did it get better as it went on ? I'm also curious as to why that's the holy grail. It came out years after I was done so I had no idea.

Issue 185 was the "reboot" issue where McFarlane returned to writing the series - the sketch variant was a 1-pr-store incentive based on retailers ordering a specific number of copies. It's believed that the print run was less than 100 copies - with only 7 9.8 copies in the CGC census (and only 3 public sales in the last couple of years), it's just a hard book to find ...

But, no, the series didn't really get much better :)

Only four?

^^

Only four?

In Philadelphia. Fat Jack's in Rittenhouse, BNW in Old City, Atomic City on South St., and Locust Moon in University City.

Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr is my favorite store. When I lived in Manayunk that was the store I went to. I haven't been back there in the 4 months since I moved to center city. I wasn't a fan of the other they have in the one mall.

I also really like Comic Universe by the airport.

:o

The Granite Run Mall? That's where I did all my purchasing! IF it wasn't for that store I may might not be as serious of a collector. Although in 20/20 hindsight those guys who ran the store never really seemed to care for me all that much. :P:grin:

Issue 185 was the "reboot" issue where McFarlane returned to writing the series - the sketch variant was a 1-pr-store incentive based on retailers ordering a specific number of copies. It's believed that the print run was less than 100 copies - with only 7 9.8 copies in the CGC census (and only 3 public sales in the last couple of years), it's just a hard book to find ...

But, no, the series didn't really get much better :)

Interesting and thanks.