• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I hope it's not that b.s. from the Nowhere Men thread about getting the next arc in the can for bi-weekly release.

+1

The 600th variant of Nowhere Men #1? We're long overdue for the multicolored DMT sparkly glow in the dark edition.

I hope it's not that b.s. from the Nowhere Men thread about getting the next arc in the can for bi-weekly release.

+1

The 600th variant of Nowhere Men #1? We're long overdue for the multicolored DMT sparkly glow in the dark edition.

Can I HAZ!!!!!!

+1

Can I HAZ!!!!!!

It will cost you only four hundred of your finest green pieces of presidential paper sir!

+1

Can I HAZ!!!!!!

It will cost you only four hundred of your finest green pieces of presidential paper sir!

Psh I don't deal in dead presidents only the sweet smell of maple and Robert Borden.

+1

What do you mean by BS? :devil:

I mean I don't believe a word that comes out of E.S.'s mouth.

Sounds like a helluva lot of work to earn a few bucks. Aside from books that sell for any kind of real money (e.g. The Strain), speculating in recent moderns seems like a collosal waste of time, even if IRR is respectable.

Yea, a lot of work, like you would have to own a comic shop or something, huh?

Agree... flipping moderns on ebay is time consuming and as mentioned by others you have to try to hit the best window if you can. Often it's better to dump something pretty soon after it heats up, especially if it is gimmicky, so just sitting on a stack of books and waiting for the ship to come in isn't going to get you far unless you are lucky. It helps if you are quite well read when it comes to comics so you can decide for yourself which ones are going to be the keepers based on their own merit and print run.

I mentioned "The Strain" ages ago and picked up a few because they were dirt cheap so why not take a punt? Never really expect it to do so well. It's a comic based on a novel that now has a TV show and the market has decided it is hot hot hot. Frankly it still baffles me now because I don't see the difference between it and say the Game of Thrones comic or anything else that is an adaptation of another format. Shouldn't really appeal to the wider comic collecting culture in its own right... almost as if it's just people jumping on a bandwagon. I would be willing to bet that only a small percentage of boardies have even read "The Strain" comics but they sure as hell have sold them all the same. This may well be true for a lot of other flash in the pan stuff, just people getting wound up by everything pumped on here and review blogs giving high ratings to so many releases it's not true.

If you find it easy to get excited about a new title just because the CGC boards are raving about it then this should by now be ringing alarm bells in your head. If you can identify where you went wrong, if you go wrong, then that's half the battle. There seems to be this mentality out there that there are "monthly picks" which can be chased... that's what can lead to a lot of effort, spreading yourself massively thin.

Flipping moderns is still a fun hobby and it's still not difficult to rake in a few hundred dollars with each listing. What is making it harder for some could be that they are not appreciating that most new titles use the first issue to get a head start so they can fund the next few and it will be top heavy for a long long time, possibly always. That and there are a lot more people out there flipping now which retailers are slowly going to absorb.

2c

I was doing it quite a bit in 2012-2013, but not trying to guess which titles would be hot, mainly playing arbitrage and finding the stores that still had hot issues on the rack for cover or less. while i did like the money (while making $7-$10 on some issue might sound like a lot of work for very little return, let's say you have 15 copies of Hardcore #1 and you can just list BIN after BIN of it at $12.99/free shipping, you've done all the work in the initial auction listing and just need to hit "re-list" and pack the thing up. it works out to a decent per hour return in one's spare time, i did find it a little stressful in that i didn't want to get stuck paying cover for something that might balloon and crash before i could unload it, so i don't play the game as much unless it's a no brainer. stressing that i would get stuck with my copies of MTG 1 and Fatale 2 was irritating before they finally sold at a decent profit.

of course, there's still stress on timing the sale of some hot 5 - 20 year old back issue,. not just the new stuff, but it seems like the back issues can have more staying power than some of the new stuff.

now I'm mainly looking for stuff that slips through cracks and still winds up in the dollar box, including stuff of more recent vintage. unfortunately, my "honey holes" have started to get more savy as to ebay trends (no more copies of x-factor 6 or MOS 18 in the dollar box, for example) or they've just shut down outright. bummer.

Edited by the blob

+1

lol

I am surprised at how many people took it as potentially being serious. I figured I would have some fun with the guy that posted he found a NWM #1 and asked if it would be worth anything.

+1

lol

I am surprised at how many people took it as potentially being serious. I figured I would have some fun with the guy that posted he found a NWM #1 and asked if it would be worth anything.

lol

+1

lol

Well now I am going to cry in my corner :cry:

Edited by iceman399

+1

lol

Well now I am going to cry in my corner :cry:

Sorry. I figured that everyone else would clue in with the part about releasing #7-20 bi-weekly as a thank you to the fans......... :sorry::foryou:

Next week on "eBay heating up people on the modern boards" absoloutely nothing to do with comics on ebay... everyone loses interest and we all get on with our lives. Catch up with the latest episodes of what is actually selling by going back 8 or more pages. Yeah yeah also guilty as charged.

I still don't quite understand why Superman Adventures #5 is selling for as much as it is, but I can tell you that I was very pleased when I found a nice copy of the book sitting in a box of drek at a record store this past weekend. I think I'll see a nice return on my $4 investment.

Sounds like a helluva lot of work to earn a few bucks. Aside from books that sell for any kind of real money (e.g. The Strain), speculating in recent moderns seems like a collosal waste of time, even if IRR is respectable.

Yea, a lot of work, like you would have to own a comic shop or something, huh?

If you own a shop and have time to kill, then you might as well (if it's time that isn't being put into the business). For the majority of people that don't own a shop, here's the thing...

If you enjoy what you do, it's a hobby, and it's not taking away from other commitments (that and you have little other interests to replace this with), then by all means. However, everybody should factor your time; I expect to get paid for sacrificing the things I enjoy away from work.

Two other points: 1) You need to look at professional development (for me pursuing industry designations is very important to my career lattice), and this can be anything that provides value to your career (either technical or social).

2) You need to consider all alternatives in doing anything that's 'profit-driven'. I've had a number of investment articles syndicated, some that I threw together in a few hours that I generated between $50-100, some I spent the better part of a week on where I was paid $150 and $500. The latter was produced for discourse among industry professionals, and the reward of seeing my concepts put to light.

The point is, there's lots of ways to make money (really a mess-ton), and before you take on the hassle of trying to grind out a few bucks here and there speculating on books before they hit the stands, ask yourself, is there something better you could be doing with your time while high?

no.

oooo Jimmy Jam! (tsk)