• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,834 posts in this topic

Doesn't Spider-Gwen #1 AH! sell for much more than EoSV #2? Modern variant vs 1st appearance.

I think the point is that a modern variant selling for more than a much older first appearance is odd.

When there have been decades to determine the "best book" for a character (usually the first appearance or very-near-to-it-cough-Hulk-181-cough), it's a weird thought that someone can draw the same character on a variant today and have that one be more valuable than the top comic established by the market for decades.

You people are trying to instill LOGIC in the hobby of speculating on comics.

Maybe it's just fun to speculate on stuff

When you live through a crash that brought Marvel within a single judge's decision of ceasing publication altogether...you tend to be a little down on the "let's just treat comics like the Franklin Mint/Stock Market!" mentality.

Speculation on new comic books hurts the hobby, hurts collectors, and most importantly, hurts the very creators who make the comics.

"What? How does speculating on new books hurt anybody but the speculators?"

I don't have the time, or desire, to document for the 53rd time the myriad ways that this is true. It is written all over this board, in many places, already, just waiting to be found.

When people are buying new comic books just to "see how much money they can make", and have zero connection to the artform itself, they will, like locusts, do massive damage and, when there's no more money to be made, will move on to the next "hot thing", caring not a damn for the artform or the carnage they've inflicted.

This place has become clogged with such people in the last five years, and to those of you that this applies, I only say this: read a damn book, will you?

:facepalm:

Not sure why you would come to a thread titled "Moderns that are heating up on EBAY" and slam others, for their actions, then again don't know why you'd be reading it at all. Finally why are you on the CGC boards at all , nasty thing... that slabbing a book thing

Will this comic ever sell for more than the first appearance of Boba Fett in comics? Should it? That right there limits the long term upside IMHO.

Isn't the upside limit at least slightly related to the value of an original Boba Fett action figure?

It's a comic, no doubt... but this particular one is referencing the action figure.

There are lots of other Boba Fett modern variants that are just cool Boba Fett art.

I wouldn't think so, but I've been wrong before.

Outside of the decoration that looks like the original Kenner action figure packaging, does this cover really invoke the coolness of the original Boba Fett action figure packaging? Honestly, the original Boba Fett action figure packaging would make a better comic cover than this one and the art is infinitely cooler. This is just a picture of Boba Fett's head and a drawing of the action figure.

I think it's a sweet cover to add to all the other Action figure variants. It looks semi-vintage with a modern twist. For $20 for only 5000 made, is worth every cent to me. It'll go great right next to my Luke AF variant 9.8 :cloud9:

Star Wars 4 Life!! \m/ :headbang: \m/

Will this comic ever sell for more than the first appearance of Boba Fett in comics? Should it? That right there limits the long term upside IMHO.

Isn't the upside limit at least slightly related to the value of an original Boba Fett action figure?

It's a comic, no doubt... but this particular one is referencing the action figure.

There are lots of other Boba Fett modern variants that are just cool Boba Fett art.

Outside of the decoration that looks like the original Kenner action figure packaging, does this cover really invoke the coolness of the original Boba Fett action figure packaging? Honestly, the original Boba Fett action figure packaging would make a better comic cover than this one and the art is infinitely cooler. This is just a picture of Boba Fett's head and a drawing of the action figure.

Wrong before and wrong again...Yes it invokes the 'coolness'.....People like the Action Figure Covers, people like Boba Fett and are collecting all the covers to make a set and Boba fans will collect it to possibly go with their MOC Action figure or just to add to their collections.

Edited by krighton

Personally, I wish they'd bring back more of the sparkly variants of the 90's.

Those were pretty cool and shiny, at least.

If I had done acid, the cover to Wildcats #2 would probably have blown my mind.

:o

I did. It didn't. (thumbs u

no one on this board has ever changed their mind about a comic or buying habits that they feel strongly about. It's just a tennis match until people go on to a different subject.

Oh contraire mon frere

no one on this board has ever changed their mind about a comic or buying habits that they feel strongly about. It's just a tennis match until people go on to a different subject.

How do you know?

And are you aware that it's almost never about the participants, but the observers...?

Wrong before and wrong again...Yes it invokes the 'coolness'.....People like the Action Figure Covers, people like Boba Fett and are collecting all the covers to make a set and Boba fans will collect it to possibly go with their MOC Action figure or just to add to their collections.

So, you think this comic has a legitimate shot at being valued more than Boba Fett's first appearance in comics? Got it.

So, you think this comic has a legitimate shot at being valued more than Boba Fett's first appearance in comics? Got it.

His first appearance can be found pretty cheap (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-ILLUSTRATED-BOOKS-STAR-WARS-EMPIRE-STRIKES-BACK-PAPERBACK-PB-1980-/361183877337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54183c98d9

Edited by MrWeen

When you live through a crash that brought Marvel within a single judge's decision of ceasing publication altogether...you tend to be a little down on the "let's just treat comics like the Franklin Mint/Stock Market!" mentality.

Speculation on new comic books hurts the hobby, hurts collectors, and most importantly, hurts the very creators who make the comics.

I don't have the time, or desire, to document for the 53rd time the myriad ways that this is true. It is written all over this board, in many places, already, just waiting to be found.

When people are buying new comic books just to "see how much money they can make", and have zero connection to the artform itself, they will, like locusts, do massive damage and, when there's no more money to be made, will move on to the next "hot thing", caring not a damn for the artform or the carnage they've inflicted.

This place has become clogged with such people in the last five years, and to those of you that this applies, I only say this: read a damn book, will you?

Not sure why you would come to a thread titled "Moderns that are heating up on EBAY" and slam others, for their actions, then again don't know why you'd be reading it at all. Finally why are you on the CGC boards at all , nasty thing... that slabbing a book thing

Where did RMA slam anybody for discussing modern comic books heating up on eBay? Where did RMA state the opinion that slabbing a book was a nasty thing?

All I read was a legitimate gripe about people speculating on recently released or yet to be released comics.

Oh contraire mon frere

Oooooh! En francais! Tres bien!

Waitta class this up!!!

(thumbs u

You speak without knowledge. Such practice invariably leads to conflict.

To address your specific claim: no one was "slammed." Did you read what I wrote...? If you did, did you understand what I wrote....?

hm