• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Just went to several shops, and yea, all sold out on Nova 28, Cyclops 12, and Captain Marvel 14. I wonder if the last Guardians X-men Crossover will gain any heat from this (The Trial of Jean Grey)?

:roflmao: where there any Super Pro? those should heat up soon.

Trial of Jean Grey was hot for a while and now has cooled. A set was bringing $50.

First pics of Crossbones in CACW.

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/15/captain-america-civil-war-first-look-at-crossbones/#Image3

Time to start the Cap 360 Vs Cap 362 debate again..?.. hm

Don't you mean 359 vs. 360?

saw a really attractive lady (20s, bronze and tall) in an LCS today, asking the bumbling fumbling nerd store clerk about Lady Thor and which copies she should buy.

Thought he was going to pass out. :lol:

The people that keep asking why Black Vortex storyline issues are heating up havent read the books. Try reading comics sometime.

The storyline is good. Now I really hate it has an X-men fan because they are sending Kitty Pryde off on a space adventure she might not come back from to earth ever. Any true X-men fan knows she is supposed to marry a Tall Shiny guy not some Half Breed Alien. rantrant

Those books are tough to find and tie into a story that wasnt pushed by Marvel. Why? Because they sticking to all Mutants right now. Those tie in books arent in many shops because their print runs are ridiculously low. Heck the Nova book was even lower just watch it start to climb too.

The last set I remember doing this was the lead up issues to the Sinestro War in Green Lantern. 15-18 sold very well for a long time. (Or 16-18 cant rem which). They had Backup Sinestro War Stories in them.

If good stories and short printed books were all that it took to make books heat up, we'd be spending a lot on Image comics other than just TWD and Saga. 2c

Exactly. A book like this brand new and not really a key by standard definitions is already 15 plus on ebay yet some great image books sit in bins at 6 or 7 yeah doesn't make any sense. Take EOW 1 roughly 50 k print run and I bet this Black Votex is around the same number so it can't be the print run argument. 2c

Exactly. A book like this brand new and not really a key by standard definitions is already 15 plus on ebay yet some great image books sit in bins at 6 or 7 yeah doesn't make any sense. Take EOW 1 roughly 50 k print run and I bet this Black Votex is around the same number so it can't be the print run argument. 2c

Not as many people read Image books. There are only 10-15 books or so every month in the top 100 that are not a big 2 book. Simple matter of supply vs. demand.

Edited by ygogolak

Last night I swept the Penn Station newsstands clear of their Batman 40 issues (regular cover newsstand variants)!

:acclaim:

but haven't the homeless people and prostitutes there been using them as toilet paper for the last 2 weeks?

Not as many people read Image books. There are only 10-15 books or so every month in the top 100 that are not a big 2 book. Simple matter of supply vs. demand.

I agree with that but people ought to give them a try. Then again, I just read that Image is killing off one of their programs to get rid of speculators. lol

If people didn't think that the books they buy, why would they spend $5 a pop for 15 minutes of entertainment. The vast majority of people reading comics would never pay for them and pitch them like a newspaper. They speculate, as do I, that the books will hold some sort of value. Thanks Image, keep up the great marketing. lol

Edited by The Authority

The people that keep asking why Black Vortex storyline issues are heating up havent read the books. Try reading comics sometime.

The storyline is good. Now I really hate it has an X-men fan because they are sending Kitty Pryde off on a space adventure she might not come back from to earth ever. Any true X-men fan knows she is supposed to marry a Tall Shiny guy not some Half Breed Alien. rantrant

Those books are tough to find and tie into a story that wasnt pushed by Marvel. Why? Because they sticking to all Mutants right now. Those tie in books arent in many shops because their print runs are ridiculously low. Heck the Nova book was even lower just watch it start to climb too.

The last set I remember doing this was the lead up issues to the Sinestro War in Green Lantern. 15-18 sold very well for a long time. (Or 16-18 cant rem which). They had Backup Sinestro War Stories in them.

If good stories and short printed books were all that it took to make books heat up, we'd be spending a lot on Image comics other than just TWD and Saga. 2c

Its not, but it helps. What also helps is using established characters from separate genres in the same universe.

All New X-Men 1 is way overdue to start rising a bit in price.

I agree. It kind of reminds me of Alias which is another book I went super heavy on in the past. It started off a $10 introducing a new character and like Alias, fell to about a dollar per book. I think I sold the majority of those books between $10 and $40 each. Eva Bell seems more important to me than Jessica Jones. I think the print run is keeping a lid on it but like all of these books, it seems to matter less as time goes by.

saw a really attractive lady (20s, bronze and tall) in an LCS today, asking the bumbling fumbling nerd store clerk about Lady Thor and which copies she should buy.

Thought he was going to pass out. :lol:

only she is worthy to lift that hammer?

Its not, but it helps. What also helps is using established characters from separate genres in the same universe.

The shared universe is a big help. Familiarity and longevity also counts for something. The downside to the Big 2 is the lack of change other than ethnicity or gender. For every Eva Bell, there are 10 female Thors. Imagine if music used the same formula. We might still be in the disco era...eternally. Bee Gees, Donna Summer, and the Village People would still be in vogue. lol

Last night I swept the Penn Station newsstands clear of their Batman 40 issues (regular cover newsstand variants)!

but haven't the homeless people and prostitutes there been using them as toilet paper for the last 2 weeks?

:sick:

I don't know what the lag time is between direct editions hitting the shops and newsstands being put out on display, but these seem like fresh to shelves copies.

About half of the ones I bought were 96/98 candidates and the rest 90-94, except for one that had a gigantic crease on the front cover that I missed and bought anyway in my haste to hit the four Hudson News outlets.

If those image titles had low print runs in regards to the number of monthly readers then they would go up in price. But those titles are all usually overprinted for the first few issues and then stabilize after they find an audience.

With a crossover like Black Vortex, none of the books have a true small print run, but the lesser titles - Cyclops, Nova, and Captain Marvel - do have prints runs that are only a fraction of the other titles in the crossover - the various Guardians and X-Men books. The monthly subscribers to Guardians and X-Men have to acquire the lesser titles, titles that they usually don't pick up, to read the whole Black Vortex story.

Since Black Vortex did not see much, if any, speculation interest most of the first few issues in the arc ended up in actual reader's hands. If the print run on the first few books was 80k (just an example) and the story maintains a constant readership of 50 or 60k, you have demand for the Nova, Captain Marvel, and Cyclops issues who all have print runs under 40k.

most places that sell newsstand edition comics are notoriously slow at putting them out.

If those image titles had low print runs in regards to the number of monthly readers then they would go up in price. But those titles are all usually overprinted for the first few issues and then stabilize after they find an audience.

With a crossover like Black Vortex, none of the books have a true small print run, but the lesser titles - Cyclops, Nova, and Captain Marvel - do have prints runs that are only a fraction of the other titles in the crossover - the various Guardians and X-Men books. The monthly subscribers to Guardians and X-Men have to acquire the lesser titles, titles that they usually don't pick up, to read the whole Black Vortex story.

Since Black Vortex did not see much, if any, speculation interest most of the first few issues in the arc ended up in actual reader's hands. If the print run on the first few books was 80k (just an example) and the story maintains a constant readership of 50 or 60k, you have demand for the Nova, Captain Marvel, and Cyclops issues who all have print runs under 40k.

I understand the math. The thing that I question is if there are there even 10,000, much less 40,000 people, that actually want/need this book. I think its speculators following other speculators. If it were story driven only, people would buy the trades. Marvel and DC monthly sales fall just like Image with few exceptions. At this point its all speculation interest on this title. Speculation happens before and after books hit the LCS. Look at the speculation on Doomsday, Shazam, Guardians, RIPD, Sixth Gun, Supergirl, Last of Us, and every single person who has appeared on Arrow and the like in the last few years. Lots of speculative money at play and that has always been the case.

Do you remember when I ordered 100 copies Ultimate Spider-man #1 or Origin #1 ? I paid near cover for those and sold copies for as little $10 up to around $100 depending on when I sold them. All of them were in TPB form but people bought them thinking they could make money off of them too. Some did, some didn't but the spec was before AND after they were new.

I understand the math. The thing that I question is if there are there even 10,000, much less 40,000 people, that actually want/need this book.

When you have that significant a gap, tens of thousands of copies, between various issues of a crossover, you don't need thousands of people to be interested. You get a hundred or so readers who can't source any local copies and one of their only alternatives is eBay.

Comic readers/collectors are like collectors and fanatics of anything else, they're anal. Yes they have alternatives to buying first print copies of tie-in issues at inflated prices - go digital, wait for the trade or later printings - but not everyone wants that. If locally you cannot source one of these lesser printed books to round out the story arc, your alternative is eBay where paying 10 or 20 dollars shipped for a copy of the book you are looking for is perfectly acceptable to plenty of comic fans.

I think its speculators following other speculators. If it were story driven only, people would buy the trades.

The lack of internet chatter regarding this series up until yesterday is a pretty good indicator that it was largely ignored initially by speculators. The lack of market interest in regards to the incentive variants is another. Now with the recent surge in sales you most definitely have speculators buying from speculators, and they aren't going to see anything but a negative return if they paid above cover for this book, but this all came as a result of the initial natural demand for the book.