• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

I agree, stay away from cons. There are never any good deals at them. Just stay away. Particularly stay away from the cheap stuff at cons in NYC (or anywhere, because that stock will probably eventually get to NYC). Only focus on the wall books.

Someone complained about asking for ebay prices...I don't find that unreasonable, particularly if their pricing mirrors sales prices and you are saving $4 on shipping! I don't really expect someone to set up a table, spend $2K and have boxes of stuff priced in a way that I can buy stuff willy nilly and make a good flip on ebay. You have to hunt for that stuff!

Man you guys talking about dealers having wall books around ebay prices. Sheesh last 2 years WW con here in town the dealers are charging double ebay prices. lol

There are two types of books at shows I look for

The ones everyone else is looking for and the ones I know I can make money that no one looks at

Plenty of books are available after the door opens

I look for the desperate dealers at the end of the last day, and toss out cash money lowballs left and right.

Do you want to carry these two slabs back in a box and hope they sell next time? I'm pretty sure your cost into them is 50-$60. You're selling them for $130 total. I'll give you $70 (I'm already holding my cash out in front of their face). This works best for people who have just a few slabs, not boxes and boxes full.

These five raw keys you have on the wall for $550 total? I'll give you $300 cash (make sure you lay out the $300 down right in front of them, preferably in a neat orderly fan of $20's or $50's make sure the they are crisp new bills.

Then when they agree to that. Oh that other key you have up for $50-$60, can you throw that in for another $20? I just bought 5 keys from you (Extend the money toward them already, its the natural inclination of people to accept the money).

I agree with this . There are always at least one dealer who has had a bad show. Havent had enough help to load out . Over bought and dont have enough room to bring everything , etc etc .

You have to pre scout a little , Small talk to get some info .

But the deals are there at the end of the show .

I just don't get this. If I'm a dealer and have a bad show, why would I compound it by giving away keys? You'd have to be really desperate or, more likely, really stupid to do so.

The ones everyone else is looking for and the ones I know I can make money that no one looks at

I look for the desperate dealers at the end of the last day, and toss out cash money lowballs left and right.

Do you want to carry these two slabs back in a box and hope they sell next time? I'm pretty sure your cost into them is 50-$60. You're selling them for $130 total. I'll give you $70 (I'm already holding my cash out in front of their face). This works best for people who have just a few slabs, not boxes and boxes full.

These five raw keys you have on the wall for $550 total? I'll give you $300 cash (make sure you lay out the $300 down right in front of them, preferably in a neat orderly fan of $20's or $50's make sure the they are crisp new bills.

Then when they agree to that. Oh that other key you have up for $50-$60, can you throw that in for another $20? I just bought 5 keys from you (Extend the money toward them already, its the natural inclination of people to accept the money).

I agree with this . There are always at least one dealer who has had a bad show. Havent had enough help to load out . Over bought and dont have enough room to bring everything , etc etc .

I just don't get this. If I'm a dealer and have a bad show, why would I compound it by giving away keys? You'd have to be really desperate or, more likely, really stupid to do so.

With some of the books that people get for almost unbelievable prices (at least that's what they're bragging about), there definitely seems like there are some dumb sellers out there. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be in my area (or I'd be bragging too - lol).

Exactly. Even if I am having a bad show I will not give anything more than my normal discount on anything hot/semi-key/key. If someone wants commons I am happy to go to 50% of guide on the slower moving titles, maybe even a bit more if I need to. However, it does not make sense to blow out anything that you can sell for more online. Besides, in most cases the lowball offers will turn into sales at sticker to the same person the next show. lol

Edited by kimik

Exactly. Even if I am having a bad show I will not give anything more than my normal discount on anything hot/semi-key/key. If someone wants commons I am happy to go to 50% of guide on the slower moving titles, maybe even a bit more if I need to. However, it does not make sense to blow out anything that you can sell for more online. Besides, in most cases the lowball offers will turn into sales at sticker to the same person the next show. lol

Certainly this won't work w every dealer or even most dealers. As said above, you should scout a bit ahead of time, maybe even buy a reasonably priced item or two to set a rapport. I've found its typically not people who are JUST into comics that make the best targets. You're pretty sure they're local and into a lot of different things like vintage toys and magazines. It probably won't be the ultra hot keys that you're able to get cheaply, but one can get great value with some well timed lowballs and getting the cash out and offering it in hand.

Agreed.

I'll sell my cheaper stuff less than I had it already (50 cent books) but the wall books will just go onto eBay.

I love going to cons for the atmosphere and the hunt. But it seems recently I get overly excited to find the books on my want list (mostly keys/semi keys) and then when I do the prices don't set well with me. 95% of the time I say "man I should just hold back because I could get it much cheaper online." (A mentality that comic dealers must hate) Sometimes I pay a little more depending, and of course I love having the book right away vs playing the waiting game. I'm buying less and less at cons now. Now it's basically just getting autographs and photo ops.

2016-04-10_zpskvsortf4.jpg

This was ECCC. I could have taken dozens of pictures like this. One dealer had every book priced except for Walking Dead #100 2nd print, so I asked how much. $199. I asked how much he was buying them for because I'll run to my apartment and sell him 20 copies right now. Teen Titans #2 - $300, Batman Harley Quinn - $450, Preacher - $500. All raw copies...

The

Agreed.

I'll sell my cheaper stuff less than I had it already (50 cent books) but the wall books will just go onto eBay.

Some dealers like the churn of inventory and cash, and would rather meet their sales goals for a given show, especially if they don't go to many shows or sell online often. People who are packing up early because they aren't getting business. If you sell at these things, you want to go home w a pocket full o cash. So if the seller gets $500 cash for $100 of cost, it might be worth it, even if if he thinks he's leaving another $500 cash on the table, because he doesn't know if or when he will realize the additional $500, or how much more work it will take.

Also, as mentioned above, the end is a good time to buy long boxes ultra cheap, nobody wants to take home their picked thru dollar boxes, but that's not my bag

While you guys think this is bad at conventions, you guys should see Colosseum Of Comics stores here in CFL. Almost every raw key, is priced at 9.8 CGC prices regardless of condition. They spec new books super hard, and mark up things on release day. Some stores in the Tourist Trap portions of Orlando bet on international travelers who know jack about the market value. Example: A 6.5 Raw IH 181 sold for $2600. I was floored it actually sold!

While you guys think this is bad at conventions, you guys should see Colosseum Of Comics stores here in CFL. Almost every raw key, is priced at 9.8 CGC prices regardless of condition. They spec new books super hard, and mark up things on release day. Some stores in the Tourist Trap portions of Orlando bet on international travelers who know jack about the market value. Example: A 6.5 Raw IH 181 sold for $2600. I was floored it actually sold!

We've got a store who does that here. They're just hoping for the occasional impulse buy or sucker. Usually regulars can talk the prices down to reasonable levels (still on the high side, but epically so), but the store just doesn't want to leave any money On the table. I got no problem with this. you buy gear or food at a sporting event or show, it costs more. One could easily plan around this or the purchase of comics if they cared to

This was ECCC. I could have taken dozens of pictures like this. One dealer had every book priced except for Walking Dead #100 2nd print, so I asked how much. $199. I asked how much he was buying them for because I'll run to my apartment and sell him 20 copies right now. Teen Titans #2 - $300, Batman Harley Quinn - $450, Preacher - $500. All raw copies...

What was his response about buying your copies? lol

Haunted Mansion #1 1st printing Marvel - I have sold a couple copies already at $25.00 each.

Is this for the Scottie Young variant or regular cover for this Marvel/Disney kid's title? Low print run compared to a super-hero Marvel (e.g. new Black Panther #1) :wishluck: , I imagine.

Yes this is a problem lately at bigger shows. I don't understand the mentality. Its one thing to ask a slightly higher, but its like some dealers just don't want a sell in general they way they price at 2x going rate or such.

Haunted Mansion #1 1st printing Marvel - I have sold a couple copies already at $25.00 each.

Is this for the Scottie Young variant or regular cover for this Marvel/Disney kid's title? Low print run compared to a super-hero Marvel (e.g. new Black Panther #1) :wishluck: , I imagine.

$4.99 a month and he will tell u.

From a business stand point, this makes sense to me. Albeit your harsh tone. Sad but true.

As the old adage goes: Desperate times call for desperate measure

That doesnt mean its smart, but if a dealer had a slew of bad turnouts at cons, he still has to go back home and feed his family

Yes this is a problem lately at bigger shows. I don't understand the mentality. Its one thing to ask a slightly higher, but its like some dealers just don't want a sell in general they way they price at 2x going rate or such.

I saw a NM 87 in NM- raw maybe 2 weeks ago dealer had 280 dollars on it. I didn't even bother to haggle.

So if a discussion starts in this thread in regards to the print run of a specific variant that is being hyped/flipped or whatever certain individuals complain. Some of them even go as far as humping the button because they say it is off topic.

Yet a topic that is not about a specific modern heating up such as purchasing at conventions is discussed and apparently they have no issue. I can't help but wonder if that is because a off topic conversation about buying at cons won't hurt anyone's profits on a certain book that is being "discussed" here.

This is just an observation and not towards anyone in the current conversation. Personally I enjoy it when threads are open to being slightly off track when it is relatable to the main topic. I just find it odd that the usual complainers are not speaking up about this being off topic. Perhaps they are taking notes.