• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,768 posts in this topic

Can you imagine if they'd tried to make Sam Wilson take over for Captain America back in 1969?

Woo boy, the protests would've been even louder than today.

So comics, diversified in the only way they could, by making new characters. (Which no one wants to do today, because they won't own them)

Black Lightning, Luke Cage, Tyroc... er....uh....

The way they COULD diversify back then was to create female versions of the characters: Mary Marvel, Supergirl, Batgirl, She-Hulk, etc.

Did they do it because of political pressure? Because of PC Police? The boogeymen coming to take away their Bachelor of Arts degree?

No, they did it to expand to new readers.

Same as today.

Can you imagine if they'd tried to make Sam Wilson take over for Captain America back in 1969?

So comics, diversified in the only way they could, by making new characters. (Which no one wants to do today, because they won't own them)

The way they COULD diversify back then was to create female versions of the characters: Mary Marvel, Supergirl, Batgirl, She-Hulk, etc.

Did they do it because of political pressure? Because of PC Police? The boogeymen coming to take away their Bachelor of Arts degree?

Same as today.

Actually, I think they did it mostly from a rights standpoint. I know for She-hulk, DC was going to come out with a similar character and Marvel quick copyrighted it so DC couldn't. From what I've read in the past it's a similar situation with the other female characters from back then. Nowadays yes, it's for new readers, PC police, etc but I don't think that was the situation when they were introduced originally.

edit - from the She-hulk wikipedia

The reason behind the character's creation had to do with the success of The Incredible Hulk (1977–82) and The Bionic Woman TV series. Marvel was afraid that the show's executives might suddenly introduce a female version of the Hulk, as had been done with The Six Million Dollar Man, so Marvel decided to publish their own version of such a character to make sure that if a similar one showed up in the TV series, Marvel would own the rights.[4][5]
Edited by calcnerd

Same as today.

Actually, I think they did it mostly from a rights standpoint. I know for She-hulk, DC was going to come out with a similar character and Marvel quick copyrighted it so DC couldn't. From what I've read in the past it's a similar situation with the other female characters from back then. Nowadays yes, it's for new readers, PC police, etc but I don't think that was the situation when they were introduced originally.

The reason behind the character's creation had to do with the success of The Incredible Hulk (197782) and The Bionic Woman TV series. Marvel was afraid that the show's executives might suddenly introduce a female version of the Hulk, as had been done with The Six Million Dollar Man, so Marvel decided to publish their own version of such a character to make sure that if a similar one showed up in the TV series, Marvel would own the rights.[4][5]

seriously can't we go back to hating the big 2 because they're money grubbing greed sacs, and not because they're too racist/too PC?

Same as today.

Actually, I think they did it mostly from a rights standpoint. I know for She-hulk, DC was going to come out with a similar character and Marvel quick copyrighted it so DC couldn't. From what I've read in the past it's a similar situation with the other female characters from back then.

I was aware of the She-Hulk 'story'... which coming from Stan Lee, I'm not sure if it's true or a interesting anecdote created to add flair to the story of her creation. I haven't read of that being done in any other situation. Even if TV producers had decided to make a show about a Hulk like character who was a female, Marvel could have certainly sued for copyright infringement.

So I doubt all of those characters were created to protect a copyright.

Certainly not Supergirl and Batgirl was created to douse the flames of homosexuality rumors in Batman.

Nowadays yes, it's for new readers, PC police, etc.....

meh

The reason behind the character's creation had to do with the success of The Incredible Hulk (1977–82) and The Bionic Woman TV series. Marvel was afraid that the show's executives might suddenly introduce a female version of the Hulk, as had been done with The Six Million Dollar Man, so Marvel decided to publish their own version of such a character to make sure that if a similar one showed up in the TV series, Marvel would own the rights.[4][5]

And then closet racists/mysogynists, as well as socially awkward nerds could claim politics and pc police were ruing their sandwich hobby.

Since you don't know me let me tell you a little about myself. I was born with a physical disability that basically will never go away. I've dealt with the PC police my whole life. I won't go into all the details but let me just say I've had many terms used for "my people" or "my specific minority".

How is having a 'term' for what it is you have, a 'PC Police' thing?

Because people want to come up with a phrase for something that is the least offensive to the people it's referring to, you think that's some kind of censorship?

I'm an American and choose to think of myself as not part of a minority but every 5-10 years politicians and the media come around and try to focus on this issue and how they can exploit it to their advantage. Currently the new catch phrase trying to be applied to me is "Disabled American".

You've been labeled?

Is that the severity of the harshness you're trying to explain to me? Surely it must be worse than that. You're not going on and on because some politician labeled a segment of the population that you just happen to be a part of are you?

That's what's got you angry because Marvel let a girl pick up Thor's hammer?

Guess what I don't buy into political correctness and that is my right not to.

You betcha.

Don't come onto a fun comic book board and paint everyone you don't know with a broad paint brush

Oh... I have a feeling I'm very much painting within the numbers.

First of all don't ever think you know where I come from or what I think. Until you walk or don't walk in my footsteps shut the heck up.

Second don't tell me what label to put onto myself. If I choose to think of myself as an American I am an American not whatever some political party wants to label me into some said demographic.

You have tried to speak from my vantage point yet you are not from my vantage point so zip you lip.

How about your take your diversity argument to another thread so this one doesn't get pulled because someone doesn't like someone else's view.

I'm easy going ask anybody on these threads but Mr. Gower has decided I'm racist for my opinions yet he cannot understand my point of view nor does he care. All he cares about are sales to justify his arguments. Until he understands where my views come from he has nothing to add here other than stir the pot.

Same as today.

DC was going to come out with a similar character as She-Hulk? First time I heard that one...

:baiting:

Edited by rjrjr

:roflmao: "Turd Man comics"

Turd Man Comics is all about the speculation on variants which may or may not float for a while. I buy from Dingleberry Man Comics because he tells me which storylines have been hanging strong.

I find this amusing because Rick Remender's first comics work (which could arguably be considered a collectible, if you;re into collecting first works) was Captain Dingleberry.

Same as today.

Actually, I think they did it mostly from a rights standpoint. I know for She-hulk, DC was going to come out with a similar character and Marvel quick copyrighted it so DC couldn't. From what I've read in the past it's a similar situation with the other female characters from back then.

I was aware of the She-Hulk 'story'... which coming from Stan Lee, I'm not sure if it's true or a interesting anecdote created to add flair to the story of her creation. I haven't read of that being done in any other situation. Even if TV producers had decided to make a show about a Hulk like character who was a female, Marvel could have certainly sued for copyright infringement.

So I doubt all of those characters were created to protect a copyright.

Certainly not Supergirl and Batgirl was created to douse the flames of homosexuality rumors in Batman.

Nowadays yes, it's for new readers, PC police, etc.....

meh

My understanding is that Batgirl was created because the producers of the television show wanted a central female character in the series.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

How about your take your diversity argument to another thread so this one doesn't get pulled because someone doesn't like someone else's view.

I'm easy going ask anybody on these threads but Mr. Gower has decided I'm racist for my opinions yet he cannot understand my point of view nor does he care. All he cares about are sales to justify his arguments. Until he understands where my views come from he has nothing to add here other than stir the pot.

I never said any such thing.

All I did was ask you questions about what you said, but you chose not to answer them. As with anyone that fails in a debate in modern Anerican society, it then turns to blaming, insinuation, and deflection.

Woo hoo, my "reader" copy from the stands!

So pumped. I have wanted this in 9.8 forever and took a chance.

Flash 197

6/03 D.C. Comics

Modern 9.8 WHITE

Geoff Johns story

Scott Kolins cover & art

Origin & 1st appearance of Zoom.

And then closet racists/mysogynists, as well as socially awkward nerds could claim politics and pc police were ruing their sandwich hobby.

Ruin no. But negatively affect, most definitely yes. See the recent censorship of cover art for evidence of this.