• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,768 posts in this topic

Maybe if anyone at the big 2 had an ounce of talent who could actually create a band new character of quality from scratch......

:o

More Bluebird please.

Agree I think Bluebird could be a great character if they put the right push behind her.... pretty sure shes gonna be a big focus on eternal part two and if im not mistaken should be in the new Robins series.

Maybe if anyone at the big 2 had an ounce of talent who could actually create a brand new character of quality from scratch......

Creating brand new characters at Marvel or DC is not beneficial to the creators. While they do get some revenue from multimedia adaptations, the bulk of that licensing money goes to the comic book companies (Marvel/DC).

If a creator has an idea for a great new character, they are better off using it for a creator-owned project since they would get 100% of the revenue from licensing deals.

Maybe if anyone at the big 2 had an ounce of talent who could actually create a band new character of quality from scratch......

More Bluebird please.

Agree I think Bluebird could be a great character if they put the right push behind her.... pretty sure shes gonna be a big focus on eternal part two and if im not mistaken should be in the new Robins series.

Bluebird is awesome!

0.jpg

More Bluebird please.

Bluebird is awesome!

0.jpg

Agreed. She has the potential to be a really big character. I thinks she's great. Surprised Batman #7 hasn't gotten hotter than $15-$20 raw.

Maybe if anyone at the big 2 had an ounce of talent who could actually create a brand new character of quality from scratch......

Creating brand new characters at Marvel or DC is not beneficial to the creators. While they do get some revenue from multimedia adaptations, the bulk of that licensing money goes to the comic book companies (Marvel/DC).

If a creator has an idea for a great new character, they are better off using it for a creator-owned project since they would get 100% of the revenue from licensing deals.

+1

Why let the big 2 get the bulk of the $$$ from your best ideas?

I'm all for diversity too, but I don't feel the need to bastardize the long term characters by changing them all around (Thor's female, Iceman's gay, etc). I understand from a marketing standpoint in our PC world it makes sense, but some things should be left alone. I think that there are plenty of opportunitites to introduce these traits in new characters but whatever, maybe that's just me :preach:

If they didn't bastardize the long term characters the social justice warriors would just complain that they are stuck identifying with newly created minority characters because the legendary ones are not allowed to be altered.

The diversity bingo game is kinda.... just sad. But remember 20 years ago when they did pretty much the same thing just as ham-fistedly as they are today? Female Doc Ock? Young Vulture?

It all ended & all the normal stuff came back.

Honestly though? I think it's just because nobody has either forced everyone under 30 to watch PCU or because nobody has made another movie like that that lampoons the PC police crowd.

More Bluebird please.

Bluebird is awesome!

0.jpg

Agreed. She has the potential to be a really big character. I thinks she's great. Surprised Batman #7 hasn't gotten hotter than $15-$20 raw.

Batman 28 Steampunk is vastly underpriced.

The diversity bingo game is kinda.... just sad. But remember 20 years ago when they did pretty much the same thing just as ham-fistedly as they are today? Female Doc Ock? Young Vulture?

It all ended & all the normal stuff came back.

Honestly though? I think it's just because nobody has either forced everyone under 30 to watch PCU or because nobody has made another movie like that that lampoons the PC police crowd.

The "Diversity Thing "

is pretty good for the medium right now.

NEW YORK SPECIAL EDITION MARKET REPORT:

Hey Guys,

This past weekend I set up at Special Edition: NYC, & I thought it was a very "special" show, indeed. The show is a smaller version of NYCC focusing on comic book culture instead of entertainment industry. It drew a very healthy "comic" crowd. I set up with discount trades & modern comics mostly under $10

It attracted a diverse fun energetic crowd.

It's the future of the medium that I dreamed of twenty five years ago when it seemed, all comic shows were attended by grumpy middle aged men complaining about prices.

I worked the show by myself & unfortunately didn't walk the floor.

Here's a little sumpthin, sumpthin from my booth:

Infinity Thanos anything

Action Figure variants

Harley Quinn

Venom / Carnage

Deadpool

Skottie Young

Ms Marvel

Secret Wars

Adam Hughes covers

Marvel Phantom Variants ( sorry. I make them. They were huge )

Star Wars

Suicide Squad

Saga

Walking Dead

My Little Pony

J Scott Campbell

Batman

These properties ruled the roost for my inventory.

I do mail order & participate regularly on a couple online forums & fans stopped by all weekend to introduce themselves. It's great to put a face to the anonymous moniker. I regularly interact with people online that I have never met.

Marvel Key's were my most valuable wall book sales.

I had Convergence sets for sale at the booth & it prompted fans to inquire "What's up with DC?, The books all suck right now "

Heck, if Scott Snyder wasn't at the show, DC sales would have been pathetic.

Shows usually generate a unique micro-economy based on particular guests that are attending. Books related to signing events become grails for a few hours.

Secret Wars #2 was "scarce' at the show & $10+

It's a cover price book available everywhere, but fans were caught up in the positive word of mouth thing & needed to have it.

The trend to seek out properties recently signed to media deals was in full swing. Static, Empire of the Dead, New Mutants #1. Once quarter bin fodder, now $.

Becky Cloonan was a guest & rabid fans frantically searched the floor for copies of Gotham Academy ( a middling seller in my shop )

I didn't pack female Thor issues & really blew it. They were requested all day.

I sold very little Image single issue comics, but their trades were a sales beast. I think trades are the most popular way this company is being read.

Spider-Gwen was the top modern at the show with the creative team on site for the weekend. They were rock stars. #2's were the toughest to find, going for $17+

Miles Morales is an entire generations Spider Man.

Silk issues were Killer at cover.

One of the writers from, Comics Heating Up stopped by. Check them out. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5185348&fpart=3267

Valiant has lightning in a bottle right now with their Divinity title. There were fans digging for Valiant new & old. Most requested were early issues of Valiant. The entire Valiant management team actually came to the booth to talk for about twenty minutes. They're a very "in the trenches" publisher.

Talked shop with retailers from all over the country. All are thrilled with the state of the industry. Good times.

I met Jay Katz from http://investcomics.com/ & talked shop for about an hour.

This guy is pounding the pavement in shops & shows nationwide to get the most accurate market info for his site. Check it out if you have an interest in comics & their value.

I noticed a boatload of fans with Mad Max FURIOSA themed sketches that they commissioned from artists.

I met the crew from Talking comics Podcast. Fun. http://talkingcomicbooks.com/

Podcasts in my opinion are a major influence in the expansion of the direct market lately. These guys comment, critique, interview, advertise in a format that is absorbed by new customers. They are all Ambassadors to the industry in my opinion.

It was a really exciting weekend

My show schedule for the year:

Boston Comicon

http://www.bostoncomiccon.com/

Mohegan Sun Comicon

http://mohegansun.com/events-and-promotions/schedule-of-events/comicon1.html

Hartford Comicon

http://hartfordcomiccon.com/

NYC Comicon

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/

Swing by & say Hey

Edited by LarrysComics

When the next "everyone's gotta have it" female / minority / LGBT retconned character launches, I'll gladly make money from that garbage, no problem with it at all

Not saying it's not a good way to make a buck. Make hay while the sun shines.

But it's still only going to be temporary. It'll come full circle back to the originals eventually. It always does. Only difference is that people will get creative & actually create some interesting minority/female/LGBTQMNOP characters of their own that can stand on their own 2 feet without needing to trade on the name of a character popularized as a white male to have any market impact at all.

That's the stage of the cycle that I'm waiting for.

When the next "everyone's gotta have it" female / minority / LGBT retconned character launches, I'll gladly make money from that garbage, no problem with it at all

X-Men: Years of Future Past has a new 1st appearance that seems to be flying under the radar. Maybe.

Edited by 21Pittsburgh58

X-Men: Years of Future Past has a new 1st appearance that seems to be flying under the radar. Maybe.

Christina or Chrissie Pride seems she could be a character to heat up if they keep her around post Secret Wars