• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,757 posts in this topic

You people do realize theres nothing you can ever say that will change the other persons opinion on the given subject

This discussion has nothing to do with opinion. This discussion has everything to do with combatting the deliberate spread of misinformation, and the correction of that misinformation, so others don't make decisions based on bad information.

If I insisted that 2 + 2 = 5, and someone else said "no, 2 + 2 = 4", would that just be two people trying to "change each other's opinion"...?

it's your opinion that there's misinformation being spread. It's their opinion that there isn't.

Yes, and 2 + 2 = 5, and Krighton is an 87 year old grandmother from Manitoba who likes to drive Indy cars on the weekends and spoils her grandchildren with luxury yachts.

After all...it's all just opinion, and nothing is true, or can be known to be true...right?

Third time I've checked the board today... an saw this thread ran up to at least 25 new posts... honestly... I can loan you guys a ruler if necessary....

Newbs. Especially mouthy ones.

:cloud9:

So much vitriol in this thread . . . :grin:

you'd think people were talking about Captain America the gay Nazi.

:grin: Hail Hydra! :grin:

Hail Hydro-Man!

Wait, that's not what's going on? That sucks. I miss hydro-man vs sandman vs spidey issues.

Or a tape measure... not sure if it's a measuring contest or whizzing contest... but I have the tools for both...

I volunteer my microscope and magnifying glass.. :foryou:

I can assure you that my estimated variant print run is yuuuuuge

Yeah... thats what she said...

pTk60xj.jpg

How many pages has it been since discussion about an actual comic book heating up has occurred?

Talk about a thread getting derailed.

Why torture yourself?

Why prance into a thread all annoyed and announce it? If you don't like what some people have to say, put them on ignore.

I must have 30 people on ignore at this point (and about 10 more just today) and it makes life so much easier.

And here's hint: Don't ever peek!

if it doesn't involve "COMICS HEATING UP". I don't care. Move along! We all know you guys know what you are talking about. So let's move on and see what is heating out there.

Why torture yourself?

Why prance into a thread all annoyed and announce it? If you don't like what some people have to say, put them on ignore.

I must have 30 people on ignore at this point (and about 10 more just today) and it makes life so much easier.

Wow... this mess is still happening?

Why torture yourself?

Why torture yourself?

Oh... it isn't torture... it amazes me that a couple people always argue about print runs for 48 hours straight every couple months... comichron this... comichron that... it's pure gold here for me... I got to post a picture of Wayne and Garth in moderns heating up... far as I'm concerned I'm already in the green for the year... with the exception of those 500 copies of X-Force 19 I'm sitting on...

if it doesn't involve "COMICS HEATING UP". I don't care. Move along! We all know you guys know what you are talking about. So let's move on and see what is heating out there.

Why torture yourself?

Who said something about getting tortured. It just amazes me how people doesn't have a life to be debating about nonsense! Who has more knowledge etc!

Why torture yourself?

Oh... it isn't torture... it amazes me that a couple people always argue about print runs for 48 hours straight every couple months... comichron this... comichron that... it's pure gold here for me... I got to post a picture of Wayne and Garth in moderns heating up... far as I'm concerned I'm already in the green for the year... with the exception of those 500 copies of X-Force 19 I'm sitting on...

If you would recognize that it's not "arguing about print runs" but one person repeatedly posting misinformation that can mislead others, then you might be getting somewhere. Instead, you throw the baby out with the bathwater, and end up doing what you're complaining about: "derailing" the thread, and then pretending it "doesn't bother you", after complaining about it in multiple posts.

If you don't like what others talk about, put them on ignore. If that's not enough, complain to moderation, and let them handle it. Hell, I've already done half the work for you by putting my posts in spoilers.

Why torture yourself?

Who said something about getting tortured. It just amazes me how people doesn't have a life to be debating about nonsense! Who has more knowledge etc!

It amazes me how people don't follow a discussion, don't understand what it's about, but feel free to judge and dismiss it anyways.

Why torture yourself?

If you would recognize that it's not "arguing about print runs" but one person repeatedly posting misinformation that can mislead others, then you might be getting somewhere. Instead, you throw the baby out with the bathwater, and end up doing what you're complaining about: "derailing" the thread, and then pretending it "doesn't bother you", after complaining about it in multiple posts.

If you don't like what others talk about, put them on ignore. If that's not enough, complain to moderation, and let them handle it. Hell, I've already done half the work for you by putting my posts in spoilers.

I just got back from the pub... been there half the night... I was just trying to be funny and lighten the mood...

RMA... There is No actual number that we can know !!!! AGREE

But we can use whatever we have to try to arrive at a guess right? it hurts no one ! As long as its not stated as a fact ! I stick to my guns that the JIM 633 most likely is not over 1000 and probably 2-3 cases. 450/675 very logical given the known factors...

why would they ever print double or triple what is needed, just to liquidate.

We know that at the most the UK is 15 percent of the total distribution numbers? on the high side. we know that just because 30,000/35,000 books where printed that only a percentage was FO cutoff with 50 or more. LOGIC

Did you know U.S. Marvel comics are also distributed to more than the UK overseas. I traveled Europe last year and just about every shop I visited had new Marvel comics. The exact same ones we have in the U.S. In English. I saw this in France, Belgium, Germany, etc.

It would be interesting to know how much those sales account for. I can see another 15% or more easily just from the other countries.

Aside from a few other European countries like Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland, etc there's also...

Australia, new Zealand, INDIA, Philippines, Singapore, and probably some others.

Do these constitute HUGE #'s? Maybe, maybe not, but in aggregate it MIGHT in some cases represent another bump in variant print run, which may not insignificant, and may or may not be consistent (some variants might not even be offered internationally for whatever reason, or at different incentive levels).

The point is not that any single factor causes sooooo much uncertainty, although in some cases it might, but the point is that there's sooooo MANY factors that going into deciding print run (of any comic, including variants), with 99% of them being unknown to the public for any given issue, that essentially you're just closing your eyes and throwing darts at a moving board and then making a guess at what you hit.

The variants we get are distributed through Diamond N.A. and there is nothing that I have ever seen that even suggests that they are offered overseas.

Again, what I see are foreign reprints that use many of the variant covers but with different interiors, or covers that are unique to the overseas market that we don't get here.

It is a different market and should not be a part of the conversation.

-J.

Is this fact or opinion? (shrug)

Those same stores that carry those U.S. comics also had the same exact Diamond Previews. I guess it is possible those overseas shops are counted in the North American numbers. Do we have any non-North American/non-UK posters who can tell us how comic shops overseas order, if the U.S. variants are available there, and if the comics are distributed from a warehouse in the U.S. or overseas?

I honestly don't know, but after having seen how popular U.S. comics are overseas, I am interested in learning.

The international market represents maaaaaaybe 10-15% over and above the published N.A. numbers, and I have never seen Diamond UK offering the same variants (although that's not to say the UK market doesn't get a crack at the same loser books like everyone else during the occasional variant dump) and publishers like Panini are offering different books altogether in the non-English speaking countries.

-J.

At least you've finally conceded that Marvel does have occasional variant sales, which would also imply that you concede that they print more than they distribute.

RMA... There is No actual number that we can know !!!! AGREE

But we can use whatever we have to try to arrive at a guess right? it hurts no one ! As long as its not stated as a fact ! I stick to my guns that the JIM 633 most likely is not over 1000 and probably 2-3 cases. 450/675 very logical given the known factors...

why would they ever print double or triple what is needed, just to liquidate.

We know that at the most the UK is 15 percent of the total distribution numbers? on the high side. we know that just because 30,000/35,000 books where printed that only a percentage was FO cutoff with 50 or more. LOGIC

Did you know U.S. Marvel comics are also distributed to more than the UK overseas. I traveled Europe last year and just about every shop I visited had new Marvel comics. The exact same ones we have in the U.S. In English. I saw this in France, Belgium, Germany, etc.

It would be interesting to know how much those sales account for. I can see another 15% or more easily just from the other countries.

Aside from a few other European countries like Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland, etc there's also...

Australia, new Zealand, INDIA, Philippines, Singapore, and probably some others.

Do these constitute HUGE #'s? Maybe, maybe not, but in aggregate it MIGHT in some cases represent another bump in variant print run, which may not insignificant, and may or may not be consistent (some variants might not even be offered internationally for whatever reason, or at different incentive levels).

The point is not that any single factor causes sooooo much uncertainty, although in some cases it might, but the point is that there's sooooo MANY factors that going into deciding print run (of any comic, including variants), with 99% of them being unknown to the public for any given issue, that essentially you're just closing your eyes and throwing darts at a moving board and then making a guess at what you hit.

The variants we get are distributed through Diamond N.A. and there is nothing that I have ever seen that even suggests that they are offered overseas.

Again, what I see are foreign reprints that use many of the variant covers but with different interiors, or covers that are unique to the overseas market that we don't get here.

It is a different market and should not be a part of the conversation.

-J.

Is this fact or opinion? (shrug)

Those same stores that carry those U.S. comics also had the same exact Diamond Previews. I guess it is possible those overseas shops are counted in the North American numbers. Do we have any non-North American/non-UK posters who can tell us how comic shops overseas order, if the U.S. variants are available there, and if the comics are distributed from a warehouse in the U.S. or overseas?

I honestly don't know, but after having seen how popular U.S. comics are overseas, I am interested in learning.

The international market represents maaaaaaybe 10-15% over and above the published N.A. numbers, and I have never seen Diamond UK offering the same variants (although that's not to say the UK market doesn't get a crack at the same loser books like everyone else during the occasional variant dump) and publishers like Panini are offering different books altogether in the non-English speaking countries.

-J.

At least you've finally conceded that Marvel does have occasional variant sales, which would also imply that you concede that they print more than they distribute.

I don't think anyone is seriously claiming that the publishers don't print more than they distribute; just disagreements over how many more are printed.

I thought the money book is pre-Action Lab, Didn't think the AL #1's were going for anything

Very well...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=zombie%20tramp%20%20mini&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Edited by Lonzilla