• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And yet, it makes perfect sense, because the distinction is quite clear. Being essentially an ad...which it is...is not the same thing as BEING an ad...which it is not.

Ad.

The-Incredible-Hulk-180-Wolverine-Page.j

Essentially an ad (but not an ad.)

Essentially a fact, but not a fact. :roflmao:

3 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:
3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Your personal problem with me, and your personal comments thereof, have no business here. Your experience and perceptions are just that: your experience and perceptions. If you would like to discuss other people and what you imagine to be their flaws, there are literally thousands of other websites on which to do it. I would recommend Twitter or Facebook.

Thank you :foryou:

You're welcome. I hope you find whatever it is you're searching for. 

56 minutes ago, divad said:
11 hours ago, Jaydee said:

This is a Comic "I know more than you" version of twitter now

No ONE knows more than RMA . . . .ever! :sumo:  

:roflmao:

Says the guy who habitually overgrades everything he sells, and then is offended when people call him out on it.

This isn't necessary, or desired.

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

You mean an expired ad. :D :baiting:

Sure, if you want to go that route. Hulk #181 was sold new almost 44 years ago, so that ad is most certainly expired. 

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

Saying something is "essentially" anything is first and foremost about similarity, likeness (essence of) and not always necessarily used for distinction or limitation.

Yes, but in this case, it is.

If you're going to play "Gotcha!" with people here, and try to catch them in a contradiction, as you did with Lazyboy, you owe it to everyone participating to actually have a contradiction first.

To belabor the point, not all stories are also ads, and hardly any ads are also part of the story. In the case of Hulk #180, however, there is an exception: the last panel is both part of the story and essentially an ad for the next issue...we call that a "cliffhanger" or "teaser."

And when it is both, it no longer contradicts the "ads aren't appearances" position. 

Not very controversial.

31 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Says the guy who habitually overgrades everything he sells, and then is offended when people call him out on it.

Says the guy who sells restored books without disclosure.  And that would be “nor.”

1 hour ago, kimik said:

They died as soon as the Image speculators left for the next title. That is basically why Image saw a spike in overall sales for a couple of years. I am glad that the creators were able to cash in at the start at least, even though the majority of titles were done before issue #10.........

The funny thing is, books like "Chew" and "Saga" still command hefty back issue prices, while books like "Manifest Destiny", "Thief of Thieves", and "Skullkickers" crashed and burned.

...and, what ended up happening, at least in some cases, is that the speculators deserted, and, where there were creators who might have had more success, didn't, because speculators sucked up copies, and while yes, you had a great first issue sales number, subsequent issues dropped like a rock, and series were cancelled. Can we know for sure? No, there are always factors involved for which we cannot account, but it certainly cannot help establish a reader base when stores order 5-10 copies of a new book, and none of those copies sell to readers.

Instead of organically building a fanbase, like Walking Dead, available copies were sucked out of the market by folks hoping to make a couple of dollars...and readers didn't get a chance to try the series out. 

With FOC being only 3 weeks out now, stores should have instituted a strict one copy per person policy on everything that wasn't pre-ordered. 

Okey dokey.  Let's get back on track here folks.  How about those recent issues of Red Hood and the Outlaws....specifically #25 and #26 ---both Putri cover priced variants.  That next issue also has a Putri variant and I'm guessing that a three book set will sell very very well.

That Justice League #8 Jim Lee cover priced variant is already off to a bang from this morning's release.....seems to be sold out everywhere and moving up in price.

How about that Elric the White Wolf #1 cover priced variant....impressive results for a two week old book.  

Edited by Mapleleafvann

5 minutes ago, divad said:
40 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Says the guy who sells restored books without disclosure.  And that would be “nor.”

No, you're forgetting your history. That would be YOU who sells restored books without disclosure. Remember? We've been over this. Batman #169, listed BY ME as trimmed along the right edge, for $15, bought BY YOU, and flipped for $75...with no mention of the trimming, and pictured at an angle to hide it.

The feedback you left me for it is still on my account.

I won't bother asking if you have any evidence of me "selling restored books without disclosure", because there is none. I would be slitting my throat doing such a thing. 

Here's an example of your overgrading:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCALIBUR-1-Oct-1988-NM-9-4-Alan-DAVIS-Cover-amp-Art-1st-App-WIDGET-MARVEL-Comics-/183366453019?epid=85426698&hash=item2ab17e071b%3Ag%3AwF4AAOSwwbdWKY5~&nma=true&si=GseEzKa0y59iFEUrdbdG00hKrJw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

4WnFzO.jpg

Excalibur #1 graded "NM 9.4" with pretty severe spine damage, and nasty fingerprints on the left edge of the back cover. 

2 hours ago, 500Club said:
2 hours ago, kimik said:

They died as soon as the Image speculators left for the next title. That is basically why Image saw a spike in overall sales for a couple of years. I am glad that the creators were able to cash in at the start at least, even though the majority of titles were done before issue #10.........

Yup, and it’s now pretty clear that creators’ commitment to a title is a huge land mine if anyone is considering speculating.  So many independent books burn brightly at the start...

Yeah, it's a very unfortunate fact of modern comics.

Just now, divad said:

You’ve got it backwards - you never disclosed that you trimmed the book. lol

Which, of course, is total nonsense. I neither trimmed the book myself, nor failed to disclose it. Seeing as how this was 2003 or thereabouts, if I run into the picture, I'll make sure I post it, which clearly shows the very poorly trimmed right edge. 

At least you're not denying that you bought it anymore, once I proved that the feedback you left for me was still on my account.

But, by all means, feel free to continue this childish back and forth. Gotta take your shots, over and over and over and over and over....

"lol"

53 minutes ago, divad said:

Which, of course, is the total truth. Back-pedal all you want, it doesn’t change that you sold a trimmed book without disclosing it. 

1 hour ago, divad said:
2 hours ago, divad said:

Which, of course, is the total truth. Back-pedal all you want, it doesn’t change that you sold a trimmed book without disclosing it. 

For readers paying attention, realize..."Divad" here is referring to an eBay listing from around 2003

In the past, when he decided to get snide, I would point out this fact...and he then would claim he had "never done business with me." That post is still here on the board, somewhere.

Here is the feedback he left for me:

463072973_dunbarfeedback.thumb.png.3bc6d848a9a82c91a0edb2e47316f901.png

...which is from his eBay account "divadrabnud" (which is his name spelled backwards.)

The corresponding feedback can also be found on his "feedback left" page...my late, great, "graysoncollectibles" account.

1092275230_dunbarfeedbackleft.thumb.png.e5771565e0d9d43fc99cb34881dc5b16.png

(For fun, scroll through some of the feedback he left for others. It's fascinating!)

Notice anything there in that feedback? No mention of "trimming not disclosed." Do you think, if the book was badly trimmed and it was NOT disclosed, that such feedback would have been left by someone who has been collecting comics, since, what, the 60s...? Check out the feedback he has left for others. Does anyone reading this think that someone who had received a "trimmed book that was not disclosed"  would have left feedback like that...?

Consider THIS feedback which he left right around the same time:

732604534_dunbarfeedbacklefttoolhaus.thumb.png.d8ba397b49cceef4f3767c0ffa951591.png

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=divadrabnud&Dirn=Left+by

So, if the book *I* sold him was trimmed and NOT disclosed as such...why did he leave such glowing feedback...? He was obviously capable of detecting trimming.

Not only was the book badly trimmed, but I plainly disclosed AND pictured it with a front-on scan...so there was no hiding it.

Unfortunately, as it is now 15 years in the past, and I certainly didn't keep the listing, it's now a "he said/she said" type situation. Why do I remember it so vividly? Because I was thoroughly annoyed when I discovered the exact book (Batman #169), listed by the exact same person who I sold it to, listed a couple of weeks later, with a picture angled so you couldn't tell the right edge was poorly trimmed, not a word mentioning the trimming, and it sold for 5 times what I had sold it for ($15 to "Divad", $75 to the unsuspecting mark.) 

So, I can only point out the information that I DO have, and leave others to come to their own conclusions, and decide who is more trustworthy and telling the truth.

Remember the Excalibur #1, graded "NM 9.4", pictured above.

I recommend, "Divad", that you drop it, and pretend I don't exist. 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

17 hours ago, 500Club said:

It's interesting, the debate about 'why this book and not that book?', especially with muddy introductions like Kamala Khan.   I think you're right, in that there's definitely a tendency that once the train has left the station, as far as anointing the key book, that's it.   As far as a current objective reason why 181 is worth so much more currently, @valiantman put it best:  he's on the cover.  That's a huge driver in this age of slab and cover collecting.

There's a lot of teeth gnashing in this thread about one book being recognized over another, and the market isn't exactly consistent, either.  I suspect in some cases, especially with new characters, that people may be 'talking their book'.  The question I have is, why the incessant debate?  You're the latest in a long list to challenge the 180/181 hierarchy.  Why? 

In golf, there's an expression: 'play it where it lies'.  At this point people should probably just accept the dictates of the market, or, if you really think the market has it wrong and will change, then, for God's sake, don't shout it to the high heavens, just keep quiet and load up on the book you feel is overlooked.

The 180/181 debate is essentially about rules. What are the rules of this hobby. What is a first appearance? And why do some first appearances matter and others not so much. 

This is just the most prominent example of a 1st appearance of a major character being far less valuable than his second. 

This has relevance to this thread as it pertains to modern books heating up for (the most part) 1st appearances, and what that means.  

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oof..Like a lot of stuff that's hot now, I sold a year too early. Still made a profit, but nothing like the current selling prices. Still kicking myself after selling Batman 635 a bit too early. Made a nice profit, but, :facepalm: 

Edited by awakeintheashes