• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, JcomicJ said:
44 minutes ago, Second Blight said:

Again, this is a mock up. None have been graded. Sellers are pre-selling graded copies.

its disgusting how people sell fake issues saying they will get a 9.8 guaranteed 

It's not that hard to get a 9.8 for a new issue. In fact, with a few exceptions, it's pretty easy.

And guaranteeing a 9.8 isn't fraudulent or unethical. If you don't get one, you refund the money. That's the guarantee.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:37 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Regular and variant cover or just one of them?

Both. Called and went to the comic book stores in 25 mile radius - all of them were sold out even other comic book store owners called other owners to see if they have any copies left.  I found both regular and variant copies in other comic book store that took me 40 minutes of driving.

Edited by JollyComics

33 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I guess first appearance of that Skrull guy has dealers opening their boxes and pulling out later numbers of Hulks that have flown under the radar.  Cant see there being much outside of Thunderbolts to move the needle, but at least people are looking again.

37 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I've noticed it creeping up for awhile now. There are two versions, the Direct Sales, $1.95 version and the newsstand, $1.50 version.

29 minutes ago, Second Blight said:

Pretty much ALL Marvel books had Direct and Newsstand editions in the 90's  :roflmao:

Yes, I am quite aware of that, but, if you will notice the sales, THIS comic's two versions have very different results -- and have for awhile. The newsstand version is quite a bit tougher to find than the direct sales version.

2 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I've noticed it creeping up for awhile now. There are two versions, the Direct Sales, $1.95 version and the newsstand, $1.50 version.

@Lazyboy says, 

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You mean cover prices? Wrong.

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

No, I mean that, starting in the mid-90s, cover price differences between Directs and Newsstands became fairly common, especially for Marvels.

I didn't know they were that common then...

1 hour ago, Second Blight said:

Pretty much ALL Marvel books had Direct and Newsstand editions in the 90's  :roflmao:

This quote was unclear to me as not "all" had different prices between direct and newsstand. 

Maybe I was too critical?

Cover price differences between newsstands and Directs started at Marvel with the post-Phalanx Covenant storyline in 1994, with selected X-Men books in "Deluxe" and "regular" versions.

Here, for example, is the first X-Men price difference:

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The newsstands, at least for a while, were priced at $1.95 and were Deluxe versions, too.

s-l1600.jpg

THIS WAS A RUSE.

It was designed to make comic buyers think they had a choice, but they didn't. This only lasted a couple of months. By the Age of Apocalypse, there was no "non-deluxe" version available. You could only buy "deluxe." Eventually, Marvel went back to the "standard" paper and cover stock, about a year and a half later, but KEPT the $1.95 price. Cute, huh? Ah, ol' Perelman. 

When the formerly "deluxe" books, like X-Men, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men, Hulk, and others, went to the "standard" paper (still at $1.95!), the newsstand versions all went to $1.99...but the titles that didn't "go deluxe" at all, like the Spidey titles, stayed at $1.50 across both versions. 

By July of 1997, we saw the last of the $1.95 books, and starting with the August, 1997 cover dates, all books were now $1.99 (and up), Direct or newsstand.

This would only last until 1999, when Marvel started futzing around with cover prices again.

Marvel was a complete and utter mess during this time period. 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

Yes, I am quite aware of that, but, if you will notice the sales, THIS comic's two versions have very different results -- and have for awhile. The newsstand version is quite a bit tougher to find than the direct sales version.

Yup (:gossip: and it's been that way for a while. I'm sure you would agree.)