• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,842 posts in this topic

Exactly.

Which again shows why speculation isn't always looked at as a good thing by creators.

"You're making money off hoarded copies of our book, making it more difficult for people to discover? Great. No wonder we can't break a 5000 print run."

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

I disagree. Some of the series that I buy on a monthly basis were books that I didn't start getting into until the buzz started. It's similar to a show that has a small following and takes awhile to build an audience.

Not only that, but the series can be discovered both digitally and in tpb form.

And, if the book is good, and selling, then retailers should be adjusting orders.

Yes, but we're obsessive about comics. We'll find a way if we want to read something bad enough.

For the industry to grow, beyond just us obsessive dorks trying to keep it propped up, the average Joe needs to be able to walk into a LCS and find that comic he's been hearing about.

By issue 3 or 4, there is no tpb, and digital comics are something that are still a niche for people who already regularly collect.

If a regular BOOK gets a write up in the USA Today, you can go into your local bookstore and find a copy or go on Amazon and find a copy and pay a normal, usually discounted price to buy it and read it.

If a comic gets a write up in USA Today, that thing will be nowhere to be found, or expensive to purchase.

That doesn't bring in new readers.

And that's what this hobby needs.

(thumbs u I agree completely. New readers are the key. Comic stores bend to the will of their existing client base at the expense of growing. 'Out of stock' or 'we will get the 2nd print in in 3 weeks' or 'wait a few months for the trade' usually turns a potential new customer into another local shop's new customer.

Seems like a lot of people are starting to chase the "next saga", as much as they/we chase the next walking dead. PP is clearly following on the saga coattails as 2013s second big climber. I think everyone is afraid of missing out, and it starts to be self fulfilling on any book the spotlight turns too.

Too bad I sold all my PP and I think I have 2-3 MP and 4 total Saga #1 (including my "beater" copy). I think the recent MP #1 is an outlier, but we'll see.

Exactly.

Which again shows why speculation isn't always looked at as a good thing by creators.

"You're making money off hoarded copies of our book, making it more difficult for people to discover? Great. No wonder we can't break a 5000 print run."

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

I disagree. Some of the series that I buy on a monthly basis were books that I didn't start getting into until the buzz started. It's similar to a show that has a small following and takes awhile to build an audience.

And, if the book is good, and selling, then retailers should be adjusting orders.

Yes, but we're obsessive about comics. We'll find a way if we want to read something bad enough.

For the industry to grow, beyond just us obsessive dorks trying to keep it propped up, the average Joe needs to be able to walk into a LCS and find that comic he's been hearing about.

By issue 3 or 4, there is no tpb, and digital comics are something that are still a niche for people who already regularly collect.

If a regular BOOK gets a write up in the USA Today, you can go into your local bookstore and find a copy or go on Amazon and find a copy and pay a normal, usually discounted price to buy it and read it.

If a comic gets a write up in USA Today, that thing will be nowhere to be found, or expensive to purchase.

(thumbs u I agree completely. New readers are the key. Comic stores bend to the will of their existing client base at the expense of growing. 'Out of stock' or 'we will get the 2nd print in in 3 weeks' or 'wait a few months for the trade' usually turns a potential new customer into another local shop's new customer.

Or into no one's customer....

What's not to like about MHP?

Orgy Pagan worshipping US Presidents

Crazy AI computers(sort of)

Cold War revisited( and how!!!)

Crazy portrayals of Historical figures

Science

Star gates

Intergalactic Wars

Nazis

Yuri Gagaran, Albert Einstein.

Talking dogs.....

The smartest, funniest comic book being written. Hickman is on fire with this story.

Science

Star gates

Intergalactic Wars

Nazis

Talking dogs.....

:applause:

Science

Star gates

Intergalactic Wars

Nazis

Talking dogs.....

Not doubting the books content for reading, just said in my opinion i dont think it will be a long term *value* star. It's 9.8s have been struggling for a long long time. Not sure what boosted this one, but if they continue to sell at that price, I'll consider myself very wrong :)

Edited by CBT

MP is probably the one book i regret not reading

You did not just say that...

FOR YOU

No can do. TPB are for series that were before my time.

Call me wasteful, but I'll buy the floppies and the trade if I love it, i.e. PP, Hawkeye, Saga, anything by Brubaker. Going back and reading floppies out of the bags and boards are a pain the .

Call me wasteful, but I'll buy the floppies and the trade if I love it, i.e. PP, Hawkeye, Saga, anything by Brubaker. Going back and reading floppies out of the bags and boards are a pain the .

I do the same thing (own TWD compendiums, Saga trade, Revival trade, + other trades).

I do the same thing (own TWD compendiums, Saga trade, Revival trade, + other trades).

I've been meaning to buy TWD and Invincible compendiums but I'm worried about the gutter loss. Your thoughts?

ohhh Sleeper. i want to get that when its back in print this year

Yeah, we discussed briefly in the other thread, it's pretty good.

Side note:

I thought it would be great to get some kind of TPB exchange thing going on the boards, get a chance for people to try something different. It seems like most people here in the Modern section have good tastes.

Exactly.

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

I'll counter this with three points: first, unless the book is issue six or less, there WILL be a tpb for the new reader. Second, books are being reprinted - Saga 1 was in print until the tpb arrived. Third, the average Joe HAS been walking in and finding the books. WD tpb's have been a boon to LCSs. New readers are evident at every show I set up at.