• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,842 posts in this topic

They are a Disney Movie making company. they dont give a mess about comic books or their readers.

Disney bought them BECAUSE their movies were so successful. Ari Arad started the modern comic book done right era of movies, and Marvel continues in that vein. Disney bought them and let them continue to do it without interfering.

in 2012, Punisher, Daredevil, Gambit, Hawkeye, Journey into Mystery, Venom Winter Soldier, FF4/FF all awesome comics, critically well received, and not "superhero" style books if people dont like that sort of stuff.

Tons of great superhero books, and x-books, for long time fans. All excellent stuff. Only the main event crossover non-sense is low quality, and it can always be opted out of.

Rucka's punisher imo is the best comic of 2012. I'd take it over Saga even :P

i WANT to love marvel comics, i really do. i grew up on that mess. but as someone that has returned to reading comics after a 26 year layoff, i cannot accept the physical quality of the books they are releasing for the price point they are charging.

Agreed. $3.99 is a lot more than $2.99, and that's a high price to pay for 5 minutes of entertainment.

IMO, use the cheaper paper stock and pass the savings on to the consumer.

so why does marvel insist on using such poor quality paperstock and charging so much per issue? not to mention all the adverts in the middle of the story. Nobody expects to see adverts in the middle of a DVD or at the Movies.

DC kept their price down by removing pages, its the world of the big two. They are always trying to lower costs. If it keeps books I like with lower runs alive, then I'll live with what I have to. There is a reason work for hire pays so much, and the cost of having superstars on books has to come out of the money it makes, while also still making money for the company writing the cheques.

The last thing I'll say on cost, is this. The US government has been printing money at hurricane speed since 2008. Marvels comics have been getting cheaper for about 5 years for me, because I am Canadian. US money printing has driven our dollar from 65 cent, to parity, and past it. Now our money is worth more. Canadian comics used to be priced $1 or move above the US price.

Just saying, its a lot more complicated than at first glance. I have loved marvel since I was a kid, and everyone has a right to their opinion. :) But, respectfully, its not pure garbage imo. And yes, like new 52, there will be hits, and books that go up in value.

Agreed. $3.99 is a lot more than $2.99, and that's a high price to pay for 5 minutes of entertainment.

IMO, use the cheaper paper stock and pass the savings on to the consumer.

Agreed on all parts. I was actually going to pick up the Marvel Now Iron Man, but that $3.99 was a turn off and passed (not a reg Marvel reader anyway). I don't think they can get much cheaper on the paper quality though to pass along any savings... lol

so why does marvel insist on using such poor quality paperstock and charging so much per issue? not to mention all the adverts in the middle of the story. Nobody expects to see adverts in the middle of a DVD or at the Movies.

Have you gone to a movie or watched a DVD lately? The commercials may not show up in the middle of a movie, but they sure do show up before the movies either in the theater or on the DVD. I was disgusted to recently see ads on DVDs that I purchased and will be forced to jump through every time I fire that movie up. You see them wherever you go (and that doesn't even count product placements that are so obvious these days).

Have you gone to a movie or watched a DVD lately? The commercials may not show up in the middle of a movie, but they sure do show up before the movies either in the theater or on the DVD. I was disgusted to recently see ads on DVDs that I purchased and will be forced to jump through every time I fire that movie up. You see them wherever you go (and that doesn't even count product placements that are so obvious these days).

Watch a season of Chuck. Subway is one of the main reasons this show didnt get canceled earlier then it did.

the paperstock is pure garbage. on that we'll have to agree to disagree i suppose

I'd rather they go back to the paperstock used back when we were growing up!! :)

I'd rather, THIS THREAD TURNS BACK INTO A THREAD TO TALK ABOUT BOOKS SELLING FOR MORE THAN COVER ON EBAY INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT PAPER STALK, PRINT RUNS, CGC GRADES AND NON BOOKS BEING SOLD ON EBAY. UGH ARG ARGH

Lets talk about paper stalk.

Ken Lashley has been talking about my ebay items on facebook. I know I should start a new thread to discuss this, but hey, why not just let everyone on here know that I sometimes get sketch variants done at charity art offs - cgc them and than try to sell them on ebay only to get roasted by the artist of that sketch variant on facebook.

Oh yeah that sounds great, because hey, this is the right section of the forum for me to be spewing out this information.

We should also speculate on how much money I gave the artist in question. He says I gave him $40 but I'm pretty sure I gave him an extra $20 because of how good the art was. Does that make me a bad person? Does this mean I should speculate more about this item? Oh this is for sure the right place for me to be talking about this.

Oh I also have five cats at my house. Can we talk about my cats? One is named Tie Domi, one is named Fat cat, and two of them are on prozack so I don't give them names. Can you believe this? Oh wow, what a great place for me to be ranting and raving about these such things.

Ken Lashley has been talking about my ebay items on facebook. I know I should start a new thread to discuss this, but hey, why not just let everyone on here know that I sometimes get sketch variants done and try to sell them on ebay only to get roasted by the artist of that sketch variant on facebook.

Oh yeah that sounds great, because hey, this is the right section of the forum for me to be spewing out this information.

You seem to make new friends everywhere you go. :)

Ken Lashley has been talking about my ebay items on facebook. I know I should start a new thread to discuss this, but hey, why not just let everyone on here know that I sometimes get sketch variants done and try to sell them on ebay only to get roasted by the artist of that sketch variant on facebook.

You seem to make new friends everywhere you go. :)

Since this is the right place to be talking about this,

Should I be mad that the employees of this comic book store, who btw, I told I was selling these books to, or when the manager of the store said "oh you're going to get some good coin for this book" - should I be mad that they also posted on Ken Lashleys status about how much of a bad person I am? EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING?

yes this is for sure the right place to be talking about this.

Or how about how another person got a sketch done at this event by another artist and has been posting on the forums with questions about how much they should sell the book for?

Should I also mention that this person WENT IN FRONT OF ME IN LINE, which I said nothing about, which resulted in me not getting a sketch done?

Since I put this book on ebay, this must be the right place to be talking about this.

Edited by Jimmy Linguiniii