• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,857 posts in this topic

I've gone overboard in buying too many myself but I don't feel like it's taking place now like it was then or even like it was during Jim Lee's first Superman or Batman runs. I think there is a major shift happening in comics in that some have grown weary of collecting and reading superhero only books. I think over time you will see more people move toward indies and I think some people are making money by being ahead of the curve.

It happened in the car business. When I was a kid, there were the big 3 car companies, Ford, GM, and Chrysler. I never dreamed as a kid that an import car would ever challenge those 3 car companies. Fast forward and Toyota is from time to time, the #1 seller in the world. I have a brother who works for them. In comics, Image could follow in Toyota's footsteps.

My point being that when markets change, people who can read them have the ability to profit. I don't think many are buying every title in large numbers. It's too expensive, time consuming, and takes too much space. I do believe that like any market, those who study trends, actually use what they buy, and work smart, can profit.

Slym2none I don't know you and have never even talked to you, yet your blatantly calling me names. I really don't think I am being out of line giving an opinion on modern comics and I'm certainly not ridiculing people in here, but you certainly are. This is a discussion forum and if you don't want to join in then please refrain from the childish remarks. Thx

Sunfire & The Big Hero 6 #1 $25-$30 range. It's the real 1st appearance of the team, 2 months before Alpha Flight Vol 2 #17. Disney animated movie coming in November

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNFIRE-BIG-HERO-6-1-VF-NM-1st-Print-Appearance-1998-New-DISNEY-Movie-Six-/201034063913?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ece906029

I think these books will continue to climb I have several I am still holding. Funny thing I can find all of these issues except issue 2 for some reason that issue is pretty tough to find when I look to make the sets.

I think Alpha Flight # 17 is getting most of the attention right now.

Sunfire & The Big Hero 6 #1 $25-$30 range. It's the real 1st appearance of the team, 2 months before Alpha Flight Vol 2 #17. Disney animated movie coming in November

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNFIRE-BIG-HERO-6-1-VF-NM-1st-Print-Appearance-1998-New-DISNEY-Movie-Six-/201034063913?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ece906029

I think these books will continue to climb I have several I am still holding. Funny thing I can find all of these issues except issue 2 for some reason that issue is pretty tough to find when I look to make the sets.

old news

its all about the gay alpha flight second print, holla

Slym2none I don't know you and have never even talked to you, yet your blatantly calling me names. I really don't think I am being out of line giving an opinion on modern comics and I'm certainly not ridiculing people in here, but you certainly are. This is a discussion forum and if you don't want to join in then please refrain from the childish remarks. Thx

You are ridiculing people, you just can't see it - even when someone takes the time to point it out to you, i.e., The Authority's response to you.

Like you say - this is a discussion forum. If you don't want me to join in, too bad.

Thx.

-slym

old news

its all about the gay alpha flight second print, holla

lol...this is a post I can get behind!!

Your comment read as an insult though it may not have been your intention. I look at a like this. A single $5 profit is no big deal but do it a 100 times a month, you have $500. Do that 12 times a year, $6000. Do that another 4 years and you have enough to pay cash for a nice car. 2c

I give anyone credit if they are making $6000 a year off moderns, heck yeah that would be nice. I just see an eerily similarity between this new breed of speculation compared to the dark days of the 90's. Of course the print runs are way different, but the buy every book in multiples regardless of content is in place.

Lots of people do much more than $6000 a year from moderns.

This is from my summary page on Ebay.

tumblr_n23o2dd4PP1rkky2io1_1280.jpg

Note: These are gross sales. Profit margin can range from 20% to 300% and higher.

I sell mostly moderns with the occasional Bronze or Silver age thrown in from time to time when I upgrade personal stuff.

Most of the books I sell are graded or in demand raws that I speculate on.

Have there been some books that did't sell and are sitting? Sure, looks back at Jupiter's Legacy and a bunch of post Peter Panzerfaust #9. But the profits I have made well out pace the long/and short boxes I have that aren't moving currently.

Look at it this way. Buy a modern for anywhere between 40% of cover to cover.. get it graded(23-30 depending one your level) and sell for $85-$150 and you have paid for a stack of 30 books in one fell swoop.

Edited by ZaCrew

ZaCrew that's impressive and if you're doing those kind of numbers with relatively new material then obviously it's a no brainer.

Maybe what surprises me the most is how quick these books trend upward in value..it used to take years for a book to hit $100 dollars in price, now a 9.8 gets you the same price within months. Not sure what to correlate this to.

I tried to be nice. That's ok ignoring you will definitely cut down on the excessive page counts in many a thread. Thx

"I laugh at how hard you guys work to make $5."

That's you being nice.

Have a great life, and thanks for ignoring me!

:lol:

-slym

I don't buy modern comics

then do us all a favor and stay out of this forum. we don't need anymore azzwipes in here.

Keep it classy kids

take your own advice dummy

I will buy multiples of the same issue for a modern day profit, but again timing is everything. I have been burned many times by pulling the trigger too quickly and not quick enough.

Your comment read as an insult though it may not have been your intention. I look at a like this. A single $5 profit is no big deal but do it a 100 times a month, you have $500. Do that 12 times a year, $6000. Do that another 4 years and you have enough to pay cash for a nice car. 2c

I give anyone credit if they are making $6000 a year off moderns, heck yeah that would be nice. I just see an eerily similarity between this new breed of speculation compared to the dark days of the 90's. Of course the print runs are way different, but the buy every book in multiples regardless of content is in place.

Do you hit the Paypal reporting threshold, in terms of taxes? Does that become an issue?

Do you hit the Paypal reporting threshold, in terms of taxes? Does that become an issue?

Threshold is $20k AND 200 transactions (thumbs u