• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looked at a collection tonight from Craigslist

15 posts in this topic

I just got back from looking at a box of comics that a guy was selling on craigslist.

It was about 100 books from the 60's, mostly low grade DC's. Many of the books were coverless, average was probably Good. None were above Fine.

Some highlights--

about 6 issues of the Flash in VG from 141 to 165, no keys

Green Lantern 40 in G/VG

a bunch of GL's all with nasty tape holding them together

A copy of Aquaman #1 with no back cover and a detached front cover

A G/VG copy of Doom Patrol 86

A non-key 10 cent Detective in G/VG (287?)

A Metamorpho #1 in VG with a price sticker on the cover

Some early 60s Adventures in Good, non-key

It was kinda fun to look through, but there wasn't a ton that I was directly interested in, so I made a pretty low offer, and told him that I was in no rush and would be happy to let him see if anyone else who responded to his ad would pay more.

I also asked him to let me what he did end up getting for them.

I realized that I have no feel for what very low grade SA DC's go for.

It was fun to look through them though. I haven't gone hunting for a collection to buy since the early 90's.

My offer may end up being top dollar then. I offered $60.

I wouldn't mind paying $2-3/each for the Flash's. I almost collect them.

Likewise, a copy of GL 40 for $6 fits into my collection.

$5 for the Detective is ok

A few bucks for a mostly coverless Aquaman 1 seems reasonable.

There were other books here and there that were worth a couple of bucks to me.

At that point the other books have become quarter books.

It isn't worth buying the collection just to resell at that price, but if saw those books at a convention for those prices I'd certainly buy them.

I'm not entirely sure why I would buy them, but I know I would :D

$25 seems fair.

I once went to see a Craigslist ad...four longboxes or so of 90's junk.

Guy was a junk collector, had no idea about comics. Thought they were worth $1200.

lol

It isn't worth buying the collection just to resell at that price, but if saw those books at a convention for those prices I'd certainly buy them.

$25 seems fair.

Guy was a junk collector, had no idea about comics. Thought they were worth $1200.

lol

I think $60 is too high but not insane. 60s DC in low grade sell quickly in the

$1 box. Coverless from that era aren't worth much.

What upsets me most when I look at a collection is that most of the time the key issues and the first issues are all in horrible shape; but the rest of the lot is sometimes in perfect condition. I also hate the 90's drek. I hate it so much so, that I stopped looking through it. All it does it hold me up when I am trying to beat out other 'pcikers' to get to the good stuff at flea markets and yard sales. I probably miss some good stuff, but I make up for it for the other stuff I find.

At least when you are looking at one collection with no one else around; you don't have to compete with other buyers or worry what they are doing. Buying at flea markets and yard sales does have its fair share of tense moments.

Sounds like like a fair offer if the books are keepers.

Not every purchase is with the intent of resale.

(thumbs u

+1

Thats what comic collecting is all about.

Buying books because you want to add them to your collection.

Making a profit from a book should be secondary.

I think your offer was fine. I collect DC and would have probably offered only $50 based on the list you provided. People think that comics from the 60's is an instant big ticket. Unless he gets another buyer not concerned with the condition, you may be the highest one.

I hate when craiglist sellers don't put a price on their lot. Most of the time, I don't bother with those ads. The seller doesn't have a clue on what is an acceptable dollar for their wares. Most of the time it is wasteful, so I stopped asking for prices.

$25 seems fair.

lol

The buyer had listed a $150 asking price. I just heard back from him and found out that the guy that came today paid the full $150.

My list wasn't all-inclusive. There were other books there that were ok, but lower grade. A couple of later Neal Adams Batmans, but G/VG-ish, an early 12 cent WW in G/VG. Some Superboys in Fair.

The Adventures were probably worth a decent amount to someone who wanted them, but it didn't seem like it would have been worth my time to scan and sell them.

The thing I do take away from this is that I probably need to be more systematic about how I come up with my offer. I basically just completely guessed.

I think your offer was fine. I collect DC and would have probably offered only $50 based on the list you provided. People think that comics from the 60's is an instant big ticket. Unless he gets another buyer not concerned with the condition, you may be the highest one.

I hate when craiglist sellers don't put a price on their lot. Most of the time, I don't bother with those ads. The seller doesn't have a clue on what is an acceptable dollar for their wares. Most of the time it is wasteful, so I stopped asking for prices.

you guys are so cheap. i'd probably buy a fair number of the 3.0 - 5.0 type 12 cent DCs (the Flashes mainly) out of a $1 or $2 box (and then have second thoughts and sell them 12 for $10 at my next yardsale...), the GL 40 is a good book, even if in G/VG, Aquaman 1 is cool, even in tatters...intact NA Batmans have to be at least $2 books, no?

i guess it really depends on how many were coverless. i'm not really into coverless 60's books at almost any price unless they'd be pretty expensive with the cover and even then we're talking 50 cents.

i could imagine offering $40-50. not sure what the $150 guy was thinking. that's like full retail or somethin'.