• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America - The Movie

62 posts in this topic

If Caps Shield can absorb all impact then how does it bounce off walls

Or in the movie, what happened to his superhot girlfriend during the time he went to the future..did she marry and have kids, or waited for him, and is she now all old and stuff, he probably doesn't even want her anymore, I mean ...the guy's got heart, but bagging a 70 year old chick..I don't care how much she waited for me.....eeeeww

So with yesterdays's DVD release, I *finally* got to watch the Cap movie. This being entirely due to Mrs. Loki being out of town for a few days combined with CA being veto'ed at the theatre during the summer in favor of HP VIII...

I have to say, as far as translations to the big screen are concerned, this might be the best Marvel adaptation I've seen to date.

Thoughts???

You're only allowed one summer movie?

There's no theatre here and we usually have other things to do when we're in the city. It's pretty rare for us to see more than one or two movies a year in the theatre. :(

I liked it, thought it was solid. It was better than I expected. It also was less self-consciously hip like many superhero and action movies; I’m really burnt on dialogue where every scene has characters spouting “zippy” one-liners.

It certainly looked right, and the performances and -script were decent enough. It did get let down a little by the generic ending though, and that odd sting after the credits when Cap wakes up. Just as much fun as Iron Man however.

What did you feel was generic? I thought it stayed pretty close the SA return of Cap: Bucky falls to his death, bad guy escapes, Cap falls into Arctic, wakes up years later in the future.

The face-off with the arch baddie was pretty much business as usual until the final three or four minutes of the film, where all the Silver Age plot points were tied up.

Too bad we wont see Hayley Atwell anymore. She was hot!

Agreed... Although I guess we can always hope for Sharon Carter to appear in future movies, looking suspiciously similar to her grandmother?

I wouldnt be suprised if she ends up being Tony Stark's mom in the Avengers movie. Lets say she was in her early 20s in 1945, she could have given birth to Tony Stark ~1965 in her early 40s -- possible. That should be interesting.

I did not like it.

I really did not see any real super soldier skills, aside from strength and speed. Blonsky put on a better show against the Hulk in the Incredible Hulk movie. (shrug)

I have to agree with that. Cap's my favorite character and I enjoyed the movie, but it certainly could have used more Super Soldier-ness. I'm expecting Cap to really break out in the Avengers because I've read that the screenwriters for Cap were talking with Joss Whedon about Cap's character so they're all on the same page in terms of development.

She was absolutely riveting in the movie and I never knew who she was before I saw CA.

Gorgeous lady.

I did not like it.

I really did not see any real super soldier skills, aside from strength and speed. Blonsky put on a better show against the Hulk in the Incredible Hulk movie. (shrug)

This was exactly my critique after I saw it.

I left the theater unimpressed.

She was absolutely riveting in the movie and I never knew who she was before I saw CA.

Gorgeous lady.

No denying her bodaciousness but I thought she was weak.

Hmm. Maybe I didn't expect as much?

I enjoyed her role.

Where there any parts that stood out as weak?

Gorgeous lady.

I enjoyed her role.

The parts of her that I saw sticking out were anything but weak. :banana:

Gorgeous lady.

I enjoyed her role.

The parts of her that I saw sticking out were anything but weak. :banana:

A breath of fresh air, IMO.

:headbang:

Gorgeous lady.

I enjoyed her role.

Atwell didn't have a lot to do except be a foil or love interest, and she didn't convince as an army hardnut. Generally the characters were okay, although I thought Bucky wasn't given much depth either. In fact the only real problem I had with the film is that it didn't aim higher - it showed promise, but there wasn't a great deal of thematic development or historical contextualization before the flick settled down into straightforward action-adventure territory.

It was a good, enjoyable superhero movie that didn't set out to offend anyone and played it very safe, to the extent that Cap's enemy was not the Nazis (you may have noticed that they were precisely that in the GA) but the Red Skull, who was too nasty for them, apparently. :insane:

Liked the first half of the movie with the origin story. (thumbs u

Second half was too silly for me. And the alteration to how Cap was frozen didn't make any sense. He would have died in the plane crash. They just glossed over how he survived because it was too far fetched for any rational explanation.

I thought it was a decent superhero movie overall. But X-Men First Class was much better (best of the year).

Gorgeous lady.

I enjoyed her role.

Atwell didn't have a lot to do except be a foil or love interest, and she didn't convince as an army hardnut. Generally the characters were okay, although I thought Bucky wasn't given much depth either. In fact the only real problem I had with the film is that it didn't aim higher - it showed promise, but there wasn't a great deal of thematic development or historical contextualization before the flick settled down into straightforward action-adventure territory.

It was a good superhero movie that didn't set out to offend anyone and played it very safe, to the extent that Cap's enemy was not the Nazis (you may have noticed that they were precisely that in the GA) but the Red Skull, who was too nasty for them, apparently. :insane:

A film like this could be done very well as a multi part mini series on AMC or something like that. Just more money for it as a theatrical release.

Unfortunately, I think getting him from skinny geek into a costumed fighter while developing supporting cast and still keeping the action going is probably a little too tough to do in just 2 hours.

I'd love to see an extended version with a little more depth too.

edit: she convinced me as a military hardnut but maybe it was more enamoured than convinced.

:blush:

Gorgeous lady.

I enjoyed her role.

It was a good superhero movie that didn't set out to offend anyone and played it very safe, to the extent that Cap's enemy was not the Nazis (you may have noticed that they were precisely that in the GA) but the Red Skull, who was too nasty for them, apparently. :insane:

A film like this could be done very well as a multi part mini series on AMC or something like that. Just more money for it as a theatrical release.

Unfortunately, I think getting him from skinny geek into a costumed fighter while developing supporting cast and still keeping the action going is probably a little too tough to do in just 2 hours.

I'd love to see an extended version with a little more depth too.

I agree with this.

Picked up the Blu Ray, while I did enjoy the movie I was really hoping for more. As stated earlier in this thread I was expecting more Super Soldier fighting effects like Blonsky was doing to the Hulk (right before he let Hulk boot him in the chest).

On an added note I watched the one shot with Agent Coulson. Watching him in action is really making believe in my theory of what his role will be in the Avengers movie.