• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America - The Movie

62 posts in this topic

Picked up the Blu Ray, while I did enjoy the movie I was really hoping for more. As stated earlier in this thread I was expecting more Super Soldier fighting effects like Blonsky was doing to the Hulk (right before he let Hulk boot him in the chest).

I think we'll see more of that in the Avengers movie.

:wishluck:

Speaking of the Avengers Movie... the Avengers preview at the end of the Cap movie didn't show the Hulk??? Wasn't he going to be in it?

Bruce Banner was in the trailer..... Y E S :acclaim:

No kidding! Well I guess I'll be rewatching that after work!!!

I thought it was decent escapist fun. For me, the WWII setting was what gave it its greatest appeal. I loved the combination of the 2011 interpretation of what 1940s vision of future technology would be. Some of the Hydra innovations were WAY too slick for the time period, but that added to the fun.

The set designs and costumes were great. Loved Cap's helmet with the leather chin strap. The gist of the story stuck to the comics, which I appreciated. I did like the War Bonds twist. It helped to give credibility to the creation of the CA character.

I thought the -script itself was average: plotting, dialogue, etc. No real surprises with any of it. Pretty much -script-by-numbers stuff. All surface gloss. The end result was that I didn't really care much about any of the characters.

I think they could do so much more with these movies in terms of intrigue and depth to the characters. The DK movies are probably the best of the bunch in this regard.

But as a disposable popcorn movie, CA zipped along nicely and looked great. Even the action sequences, while entirely predictable, were shot and edited so that you could follow what was happening (as opposed to so many movies these days where the camera work in the action scenes is so tight and claustrophobic, and the editing so frenetic, you don't have a clue what's what).

My biggest complaint is the non-stop flashing of light whenever the action picks up. I was wondering why both Thor and CA left me feeling tired at the end, and with a bit of a headache. I realized that in all of the new breed of superhero movies, someone has decided that the action sequences will be more exciting if they're accompanied by non-stop flashing. Every gun that fires, the barrel explodes with a burst of white light. There are bursts of flames, electricity, explosions, etc., etc. Go back and look at the action scenes in Cap and Thor to see what I mean. I may be in the minority, but I find it unnecessary and annoying.

Speaking of the Avengers Movie... the Avengers preview at the end of the Cap movie didn't show the Hulk??? Wasn't he going to be in it?

really??? i didn't wait, i just turned off the movie after the credits went up. :pullhair:

really??? i didn't wait, i just turned off the movie after the credits went up. :pullhair:

Picture0003.jpg

I thought it was decent escapist fun. For me, the WWII setting was what gave it its greatest appeal. I loved the combination of the 2011 interpretation of what 1940s vision of future technology would be. Some of the Hydra innovations were WAY too slick for the time period, but that added to the fun.

The set designs and costumes were great. Loved Cap's helmet with the leather chin strap. The gist of the story stuck to the comics, which I appreciated. I did like the War Bonds twist. It helped to give credibility to the creation of the CA character.

I thought the -script itself was average: plotting, dialogue, etc. No real surprises with any of it. Pretty much -script-by-numbers stuff. All surface gloss. The end result was that I didn't really care much about any of the characters.

I think they could do so much more with these movies in terms of intrigue and depth to the characters. The DK movies are probably the best of the bunch in this regard.

But as a disposable popcorn movie, CA zipped along nicely and looked great. Even the action sequences, while entirely predictable, were shot and edited so that you could follow what was happening (as opposed to so many movies these days where the camera work in the action scenes is so tight and claustrophobic, and the editing so frenetic, you don't have a clue what's what).

My biggest complaint is the non-stop flashing of light whenever the action picks up. I was wondering why both Thor and CA left me feeling tired at the end, and with a bit of a headache. I realized that in all of the new breed of superhero movies, someone has decided that the action sequences will be more exciting if they're accompanied by non-stop flashing. Every gun that fires, the barrel explodes with a burst of white light. There are bursts of flames, electricity, explosions, etc., etc. Go back and look at the action scenes in Cap and Thor to see what I mean. I may be in the minority, but I find it unnecessary and annoying.

Agree that the white light flashes are annoying. I didn't like the war bonds stuff, it was cheesy to me and I think they could have made the costume out of a need to increase morale, and what better than seeing a hero proudly wear the flag as he leads you into combat?

Agree that the white light flashes are annoying. I didn't like the war bonds stuff, it was cheesy to me and I think they could have made the costume out of a need to increase morale, and what better than seeing a hero proudly wear the flag as he leads you into combat?

Morale would have been short lived as he would be a magnet for bullets as he would have been easy to spot?

My biggest complaint is the non-stop flashing of light whenever the action picks up.

Go back and look at the action scenes in Cap and Thor to see what I mean. I may be in the minority, but I find it unnecessary and annoying.

You are just getting old..... :baiting:

Actually i know what you mean, i can't watch most music videos today with the the constant cutting to a new scene every 1½ second :pullhair:

(But i didn't notice excessive use of flashing lights in those movies)

Picture0003.jpg

Oh man, I didn't think there was a comic geek on the planet who doesn't watch the end credits of a Marvel movie!

Picture0003.jpg

Oh man, I didn't think there was a comic geek on the planet who doesn't watch the end credits of a Marvel movie!

There was only maybe 20 people when I stayed..

Picture0003.jpg

There was only maybe 20 people when I stayed..

Yep, and I bet every one of them was a comic geek. The norms don't know about the end credits.

Captain America is the best superhero film I have seen so far. It should even be an excellent film for those who don't give a care about superheroes. Here are my top three--

Captain America: Four stars for me; three and a half stars for everyone else

Watchmen: Four stars for me; two and a half stars for everyone else

Mystery Men: Four stars for me; three stars for everyone else

If you have the blu-ray, check out the deleted scenes section and there is the director's cut of the scene with Nick Fury in Times Square. Why it did not make it to the final cut, I have no idea. It's not as rushed and more human. "Where am I?" "You're on 46th and Broadway."

Cap is a very good superhero movie. My personal top 5 superhero movie rankings are:

1. Superman The Movie (1978)

2. Spider-Man 2

3. X-Men 2

4. Iron Man

5. Captain America