• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with storage of CGC graded comic books...

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

Everyone here has been very helpful to me over the past year, and I want to take the time to thank all, er, most of you; for your help and overall advice. I am so thankful I decided to venture to the CGC side of these forums, as I do collect coins and currency.

That being said, I have a new dilemma. I want to store my box of CGC graded comics in my climate controlled storage unit. The unit is humidity and temperature controlled. This leads me to my question.

For ultimate protection I was going to put the entire box in a large Rubbermaid tote with a lid, and surround the box (inside the tote) with packing peanuts. My question is, is it safe to add silica gel packets to a sealed environment like this? Also, how many packets should I use?

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance...

Already did search the site for storage. There is nothing remotely related to storing these comics the way I plan on storing them. Otherwise, I would not have asked the question.

Can silica gel, in an enclosed environment, be harmful to these CGC graded books?

Any help is appreciated.

Several years ago while developing features for our DrawerBox Storage System we looked into dehumidification products, including silica gel packs as well as an advanced type of dehumidification pack that was just invented.

We learned that these devices have a very limited value. Once they absorb their capacity in moisture they cannot absorb anymore and become useless. Unless comics are stored in an absolutely air tight device with very little air they require repeated replacement. For that reason we concluded it was not a product we wanted to put our brand on and offer to collectors.

If the storage facility is already humidity controlled, why do you feel you need to use silica gel packs?

Rich

Thank you, DrawerBox for answering!

It was just a preventive method; just to be on the safe side. I always worry, what if the power goes out? What if something goes wrong? What if? Just wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

I understand that you should change these. Any danger if you don't, other than the silica gel not working as it should...