• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$40,000 for a Spiderman comic book drawn by Todd McFarlane

27 posts in this topic

The article from yahoo below references a $40,000 Spiderman comic book drawn by Todd Mcfarlane

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/113722/worthless-collectibles-street

My first question - what comic book is this person referring to?

My second question - if this story is true --- what has happened when a comic book that i remember seeing on the rack in bundles is now selling for $40,000

Something has got to be wrong with this story

They're probably referencing this 2009 article: CLICK

"If you're not having as much fun looking at your portfolio as Gareb Shamus does when he looks at his Amazing Spider-Man No. 303 comic book, you should rethink your investment strategy.

Shamus, founder of the comic book industry magazine Wizard, has been well-served by the advice heeded by many collectors-turned-investors: Buy what you like and do your homework.

In Shamus' case, he so desperately wanted a Spider-Man cover drawn by artist Todd McFarlane featuring Marvel Entertainment's flagship hero and the villain Sandman that he "grossly overpaid" $1,700 for it 14 years ago. The book's value climbed to $30,000 to $40,000 after Sandman appeared in the last installment of the Spider-Man films. "

"If you're not having as much fun looking at your portfolio as Gareb Shamus does when he looks at his Amazing Spider-Man No. 303 comic book, you should rethink your investment strategy.

Shamus, founder of the comic book industry magazine Wizard, has been well-served by the advice heeded by many collectors-turned-investors: Buy what you like and do your homework.

In Shamus' case, he so desperately wanted a Spider-Man cover drawn by artist Todd McFarlane featuring Marvel Entertainment's flagship hero and the villain Sandman that he "grossly overpaid" $1,700 for it 14 years ago. The book's value climbed to $30,000 to $40,000 after Sandman appeared in the last installment of the Spider-Man films. "

can't this read that he bought the OA to the cover for $1,700?

Yes, it's talking about O/A and the dimwit who wrote the article referred to the O/A cover as a "book."

AmazingSpider-Man303.jpg

It was a rumor that Shamus owned and sold that cover. But he does own McFarlane artwork, including the cover to Wizard #1 that was supposedly conrtributed by McFarlane as a gift.

Gareb does not own Spider-Man 313 OA sold

Yes, it's talking about O/A and the dimwit who wrote the article referred to the O/A cover as a "book."

Since the writer was interviewing for an article titled "Beat Stocks by Buying Comic Books" Gareb Shamus should've corrected the record after it appeared.

That nonsense will get picked up again and again by future "investment" writers doing lazy research.

AmazingSpider-Man303.jpg

yes. thats probably it. Otherwise it makes no sense. I guess $40,000 for the oa cover would make alot more sense with reality. that has gotta be it

"In the same subject and out of curiosity...Does McFarlane own the OA for ASM 300?"

No, this was sold privately to a European collector a few months go for north of $100,000

:o

Oh my goodness....dear gosh!

"In the same subject and out of curiosity...Does McFarlane own the OA for ASM 300?"

No, this was sold privately to a European collector a few months go for north of $100,000

Oh my goodness....dear gosh!

100k is cheap. That is a classic image. Wish I had opportunity to buy for 100k

In the same subject and out of curiosity...Does McFarlane own the OA for ASM 300?

No he doesn't. It's been sold and resold a couple of times.

The only part that's art is the spider-man image in the center, the rest of the cover is a stat.

And the Spidey image is an exact twin (except for costume) of the cover image from 301.

In the same subject and out of curiosity...Does McFarlane own the OA for ASM 300?

No he doesn't. It's been sold and resold a couple of times.

The only part that's art is the spider-man image in the center, the rest of the cover is a stat.And the Spidey image is an exact twin (except for costume) of the cover image from 301.

That's what I thought as well. All the "300" has to be stat.

Even as iconic as the cover is, I I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it (if I had the money to spend). Too much stat. My fav Spidey cover of them all is #136 and I wouldn't buy that one if I had the money b/c of the stat issue.

Back on topic...the article/author must have been referencing the OA cover. That makes sense. He (author) just did about as horrible a job as someone could conveying that.