• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With CGG....When It Rains It Pours....

227 posts in this topic

I distinctly remember someone trying to sell a book on eBay as "rare" because of a similar CGC labeling error (actually posted here if I'm not mistaken). So, spin it and sell it for more money insane.gif

In fact, I have a CGC book with an incorrect top label that I need reholdered...

I may need to make adjustments in the countdown to accelerate the timeframe foreheadslap.gif

I am not accusing you of doing this Sterling...but I couldve sworn I read on another post that it wasnt to difficult to "unsnap" the CGG holder, take the book out and put it back in without damaging the slab!? confused-smiley-013.gif

but I couldve sworn I read on another post that it wasnt to difficult to "unsnap" the CGG holder, take the book out and put it back in without damaging the slab!? confused-smiley-013.gif

dunno--I heard that there was a CGC thread by comic-keys about disassembling a CGC case (which was quickly removed--I never read it) and to date I don't own a CGG book. The book I have has an incorrect label (not on the front, just the thin sticker at the top)--there was a batch sold by a certain seller that had the problem.

but I couldve sworn I read on another post that it wasnt to difficult to "unsnap" the CGG holder, take the book out and put it back in without damaging the slab!? confused-smiley-013.gif

dunno--I heard that there was a CGC thread by comic-keys about disassembling a CGC case (which was quickly removed--I never read it) and to date I don't own a CGG book. The book I have has an incorrect label (not on the front, just the thin sticker at the top)--there was a batch sold by a certain seller that had the problem.

heck...try to sell it, you might get more with it that way! thumbsup2.gif

Maybe you can pry the slabs open a little & swap labels yourself? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I am not mistaken.

Are the labels not part of the inner well?, and sealed along with the comic?

Which is actually one of the few things I like that CGG does correctly.

Z

heck...try to sell it, you might get more with it that way! thumbsup2.gif

doubtful--I paid too much for it (during my padiwan bidding days) and it's one of my pride and joy books from my DC bronze horror collection... thumbsup2.gif

I am not accusing you of doing this Sterling...but I couldve sworn I read on another post that it wasnt to difficult to "unsnap" the CGG holder, take the book out and put it back in without damaging the slab!? confused-smiley-013.gif

While apparently this is true, the CGG label is sealed within the CGG inner sleeve. So whether the outer holder can be cracked open easily or not, this would not affect the label sealed inside the inner well. ------Sid

I distinctly remember someone trying to sell a book on eBay as "rare" because of a similar CGC labeling error (actually posted here if I'm not mistaken). So, spin it and sell it for more money insane.gif

In fact, I have a CGC book with an incorrect top label that I need reholdered...

I may need to make adjustments in the countdown to accelerate the timeframe foreheadslap.gif

Whoa there hero.....

I haven't even taken these slabbed comics out of the polybags they arrived in yet....

Let's not speculate that this is anything but what it is....a CGG screw-up.....

If I had received first class service...I'd have said that....I didn't and am saying that as well....I have absolutely no reason to taint CGG in any way other than what I experienced. I've always been honest and upfront on these boards. I know no other way to act.....

Jim

Whoa there hero.....

I haven't even taken these slabbed comics out of the polybags they arrived in yet....

Let's not speculate that this is anything but what it is....a CGG screw-up.....

If I had received first class service...I'd have said that....I didn't and am saying that as well....I have absolutely no reason to taint CGG in any way other than what I experienced. I've always been honest and upfront on these boards. I know no other way to act.....

Jim

OOPS! MY BAD!! I thought Sterling had started this thread! makepoint.gif Sorry Awe4one!

I haven't posted or read on here in a while, but I wanted to express my opinion on CGG. I have been a supporter of CGG as well, but over the last few months, I have seen some things that I just can't believe that a grading company would do. The mislabeling happened on about 15 books that a dealer friend of mine sent in. Instead of Tales to Astonish on the label, it read Tales of Astonish. It's ridiculous. When I confronted Daniel about this problem, he assured me it was an isolated incident as well and it never had happened before. My friend was credited and he re-sent the books in to be be re-slabbed. More errors were made without going into details. My question to Daniel was what type of QC process do you have to verify everything is correct on an order before it goes out? His answer was that everything was a MANUAL TYPING PROCESS. I don't know if that is still true but if so, it is just begging for errors to pop up. CGC has had problems with some minor things here and there over the years, but I've NEVER had a problem with their labelling. And that is a testament to CGC's investment in Quality Control, which CGG obviously hasn't done. I won't send anymore books to CGG in the near future, and the books that I do have CGG'd, I will probably re-submit to CGC or sell raw, because many were undergraded anyways, and I don't want to take a chance on the paper quality of my inventory turning in a few years. If I find out anything else about CGG, I'll post it on the boards.

One of the e-mail's (5/6/04) I received after I told them of the screw-up:

I am sorry about the error, we haven't had a mislabel in several months, let alone three in one order. If you are sending in another order, simply include those three books and we will take care of them and give some sort of discount to your order. Otherwise, send the three books back and we will fix them. I apologize for this error, and want to assure you this is not a normal occurence.

Daniel Patterson (senior grader)

Jim

Sorry Daniel and CGG, I am DONE with you!!!!

As many of you guys know, in the past I was an avid CGG defender and stuck up for them as I thought they were being prosecuted unfairly. About a month ago I received two identical comics back from CGG but one had a very identifiable flaw that was noted on the label. Problem is, the label notating the flaw was on the book WITHOUT the flaw, and vice versa. So I called them, sent them back and they corrected the situation for free and told me that I would get two free subs to make up for the problem and hassle (sending books back, paying for postage, etc.). Daniel wrote me in an e-mail telling me that this was an isolated incident and that this would never happen again. I was satisfied and compensated.

So now this, which happened AFTER my label switch up. Sorry CGG guys, if you are reading this, I was an avid supporter of you guys but apparently you have not gotten these things worked out. This, along with the perception that your inner wells are made of PVC (whether it truly affects the comics or not - the perception at least is that it does) has led me to believe that I am better off without your cheaper and faster services and I am now going to stick exclusively with CGC. I'll just have to deal with their ridiculous turnaround times, but that's just what I'll have to do from now on.

I have just ripped up my CGG order forms and I am all yours now CGC, exclusively. The CGG books I still own are being sold and I will slab no others through CGG. --------Sid

Sid,

Maybe a real Grading company will come along and I look forward to it! Its just that these guys stumbled bad from the start! You have definitely given them the benefit of the doubt with a very open mind and I commend you for that! I hope to meet you someday in the comic world!

Davidking623

For the purpose of full disclosure....

I sent these comics out on 29 March 04 via Priority Mail to CGG. Enclosed was $122 for Classic (7-day service) and insurance/shipping.

I received an e-mail on 13 or 14 April 04 stating that CGG had received the comics. This a day or so after I had called them wondering if they received it. Daniel set the turnaround time as 30 Apr 04. The thought that I paid for the Classic service didn't occur to me at the time.

I called on 30 Apr 04 inquiring about the comics. Dan found them as being in the 30 Apr 04 grading pile. I inquired about having paid for the Classic service. Daniel said that a mistake had been made. The Classic notation on the invoice was overlooked and the comics were placed in the Standard tier. He apologized and said the comics would be graded and sent out that day.

My comics arrived on 5 May 04. Postmark was 30 Apr 04.

Jim

I have received an e-mail from Daniel stating that I'll receive a full refund on the three comics....

Jim

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Who says CGG doesn't read these boards? Too little, too late. Make the deal right before it gets out to the public, otherwise it just looks like damage control 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif