• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

safe deposit boxes
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I know this has been discussed many times over the years, but I couldn't find a definitive answer... I have an irreplaceable collection in a bank safe deposit box. I have no idea if it is fire proof or contains fire proof chemicals. It has been there about 5 yrs, and I can't see any rust damage. However after reading a few threads about this problem, I am concerned. Can anyone tell me if safe deposit boxes pose a risk? The vault is in a typical Bank of American in a dry part of California. Any info or experience specific to safe deposit boxes would be great.

Edited by Clarkkentdds

I've inquired about safe deposit boxes at a couple of my local banks, and neither of them had any type of climate control systems for either temperature or humidity. The one bank rep described how they would turn off the AC every night in the bank, and the vault would be very warm the next morning until the AC cooled it back down. I didn't want to subject my comics to those constant drastic temperature changes.

I've had my books stored in a safe deposit box for 7 years but haven't noticed any problems thus far. I'm always a little worried when I go down to the basement and the room feels like 90 degrees with a fan blowing. However, whenever I handle my CGC slabs they're always nice and cool as if stored within a 65 to 70 degree climate.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of safe deposit boxes. Granted they are a great place to store valuable family documents, passports, birth certificates, jewels and securities, but collectables, that depends. I suppose from an investors standpoint SDB's make perfect sense, but there are climate control issues, and the lack of easy access seems anathema to collecting for enjoyment.

SDB's are designed to protect from theft, little more. Banks aren't interested in the condition of your collectables beyond their liability for securing them from theft.

In answer to your query about bank climate control, I would imagine that it varies from bank to bank. The biggest concern that I've read about in respect to SDB's is the lack of relative humidity (dryness), but certainly heat and possible exposure to chemical or fire-suppresent materials can't be ignored. These are certainly issues worth discussing with a senior bank officer before storing a collection.

My suggestion for the best storage of one's most prized paper collectables is a data grade safe (UL125). Good data grade safes aren't inexpensive, have space limitations and aren't especially attractive in the home, but they do offer great protection from the elements (fire & water) and easy access.

Everyone has there own opinions, but for the most part (besides of course what has been verified, etc.) the rest is all theory.

I think safety deposits are fine, as long as its not located in an erratic climate area, either too cold or especially too hot moist. But 95% of safety deposits in the U.S. are "okay."

I think the absolute biggest thing is to just make sure your books are regularly removed for a short time, for example when you take them out to enjoy for a day or so anyway, about 2 times a year.

The biggest problem with keeping anything in a tight enclosed space for too long, is that IF there is something in the air (a small chemical, etc.) it will continue to compound overtime. So if you left something in a safety deposit box for a decade and had not removed it once, I would not be surprised if something could have happened.

This is all my "amateur" opinion however, and am open to correction.

I've had my better books in safe deposit boxes for the last twenty years or so. No problems.

While I can't speak for comics specifically, I can tell you that I store all my graded currency in bank safe deposit boxes and never had a problem. That being said, I did do some research on this and found that close to 90 to 95% of all banks have the same 'cookie cutter' design; when it comes safe deposit box vaults. I use two siilica gel packets in mine and change them out every 60 to 90 days. I have never had a problem. Most banks do not measure temperature or climate in these vaults.

A lot of collectors store various collectibles in safe deposit boxes. While I have heard of damage occurring in home safes I have never heard of any issues in safe deposit boxes. I even asked PMG about this and they said it would be fine. That being said, maybe asking CGC what they recommend would be best, as comic books are somewhat more fragile than currency; and they contain staples which can corrode. Silica gel is also a good product to use.

Any questions feel free to PM me and I can share additional information I have found out in my research. Thank you and good luck. Storing collectibles is just as an important issue as acquiring and enjoying them!

While I can't speak for comics specifically, I can tell you that I store all my graded currency in bank safe deposit boxes and never had a problem. That being said, I did do some research on this and found that close to 90 to 95% of all banks have the same 'cookie cutter' design; when it comes safe deposit box vaults. I use two siilica gel packets in mine and change them out every 60 to 90 days. I have never had a problem. Most banks do not measure temperature or climate in these vaults.

A lot of collectors store various collectibles in safe deposit boxes. While I have heard of damage occurring in home safes I have never heard of any issues in safe deposit boxes. I even asked PMG about this and they said it would be fine. That being said, maybe asking CGC what they recommend would be best, as comic books are somewhat more fragile than currency; and they contain staples which can corrode. Silica gel is also a good product to use.

Any questions feel free to PM me and I can share additional information I have found out in my research. Thank you and good luck. Storing collectibles is just as an important issue as acquiring and enjoying them!

This is a fascinating topic with two distinct philosophies; both have pros & cons. I can certainly understand the rationale for keeping books in a safe deposit box. As collections grow (especially in value) the appeal of increased security provided by bank storage cannot be ignored. I've actually considered safe deposit boxes over the years in spite of the fact that my collection is well monitored and insured against a variety of bad scenarios.

My gut instinct tells me that the whole idea of locking books away in a bank vault is anathema to collecting. It's like sentencing your treasured books to life behind bars in solitary confinement with conjugal visits only permissible during approved hours.

OK, maybe that's loving one's collection a leeettle too much... :blush: ...but it's a point worth exploring.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that collecting is an entirely different mind-set to investing and bank vaults seem like a real buzz-kill from a collector POV, but I'm trying to keep an open mind to both perspectives. In the high stakes game of GA comic collecting there's absolutely nothing wrong with either approach to storing rare collectibles as long as preservation is the first order of business.

Back in the 70's I briefly used a small, inexpensive Sentry fire-resistant safe, but abandoned it's use because I discovered that by design it sweated internally (even with silica packs)! :ohnoez:

Obviously, using a safe wasn't the best option then, but that was back when GA books were plentiful, cheap and the hobby was different. Anyway, I sold the Sentry safe and went back to mylar and acid free storage boxes.

Fortunately, fire-resistant safe design has improved greatly, but in choosing this or any other alternative to the more traditional safe deposit box one must do the research and be prepared to invest a substantial amount (high quality, data grade safes aren't inexpensive, but they provide good security in addition to fire and water resistance). Of course, fully appraised insurance is highly recommended regardless of which way you go.

Given the valuable input here I'm reconsidering my dogged resistance to bank vault comic storage. I may look into moving some of my prized books to a safe deposit box simply because my collection is outgrowing the current accommodations, although the prospect of investing in another, larger data grade safe is also a viable option I've considered.

Good input all around! (thumbs u

Edited by DavidMerryweather

In one of my safe deposit boxes, I keep one of those instruments that record the max and min temperature and humidity since the last time it was reset. I live in an area where temperature varies a lot so it offers a little extra reassurance.

I had a safe deposit box many years ago, and forgot about it. Left a small stack of comics in there. Spoke to a friend of mine last year who indicated he was friends with the owner. I asked him to inquire if they had found a small stack of golden age comics in a safe deposit box. He told me they kept all items left behind and I I could reclaim it if I paid the box rental up to date...

lol

I'm fairly sure I would come out on the short end of that deal

I have had my comics in a SDB for years with no issues. I do have full insurance on all of my collectibles though. Also I keep a small rechargable de-humidifier in the box as well.

Edited by AnkurJ

O

This is a fascinating topic with two distinct philosophies; both have pros & cons. I can certainly understand the rationale for keeping books in a safe deposit box. As collections grow (especially in value) the appeal of increased security provided by bank storage cannot be ignored. I've actually considered safe deposit boxes over the years in spite of the fact that my collection is well monitored and insured against a variety of bad scenarios.

My gut instinct tells me that the whole idea of locking books away in a bank vault is anathema to collecting. It's like sentencing your treasured books to life behind bars in solitary confinement with conjugal visits only permissible during approved hours.

OK, maybe that's loving one's collection a leeettle too much... :blush: ...but it's a point worth exploring.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that collecting is an entirely different mind-set to investing and bank vaults seem like a real buzz-kill from a collector POV, but I'm trying to keep an open mind to both perspectives. In the high stakes game of GA comic collecting there's absolutely nothing wrong with either approach to storing rare collectibles as long as preservation is the first order of business.

Back in the 70's I briefly used a small, inexpensive Sentry fire-resistant safe, but abandoned it's use because I discovered that by design it sweated internally (even with silica packs)! :ohnoez:

Obviously, using a safe wasn't the best option then, but that was back when GA books were plentiful, cheap and the hobby was different. Anyway, I sold the Sentry safe and went back to mylar and acid free storage boxes.

Fortunately, fire-resistant safe design has improved greatly, but in choosing this or any other alternative to the more traditional safe deposit box one must do the research and be prepared to invest a substantial amount (high quality, data grade safes aren't inexpensive, but they provide good security in addition to fire and water resistance). Of course, fully appraised insurance is highly recommended regardless of which way you go.

Given the valuable input here I'm reconsidering my dogged resistance to bank vault comic storage. I may look into moving some of my prized books to a safe deposit box simply because my collection is outgrowing the current accommodations, although the prospect of investing in another, larger data grade safe is also a viable option I've considered.

Good input all around! (thumbs u

Buzz kill or not, David, many of us have books so rare and/or important that we have a responsibility to protect them for future generations. SDBs do this better than almost any type of home security.

And those conjugal visits sure are fun! lol:makepoint:

Edited by Moondog

Buzz kill or not, David, many of us have books so rare and/or important that we have a responsibility to protect them for future generations. SDBs do this better than almost any type of home security.

1) What do you consider rare and/or important books? hm

2) I like the almost caveat; I think a well designed data-grade safe might be one exception. (thumbs u

Of course a comfortable living room couch or Eames chair lends more to mood, but granted, bank vaults are kinkier! :grin::baiting:

2) I like the almost caveat; I think a well designed data-grade safe might be one exception. (thumbs u

Of course a comfortable living room couch or Eames chair lends more to mood, but granted, bank vaults are kinkier! :grin::baiting:

Well, in my case I have 5 or 6 ashcans that are unique. Mark has some court copies that historically important. And I think the Mile Highs and Allentowns should be preserved. Rare giveaways also come to mind.

I said almost because I'm sure there are some wealthy collectors who have appropriate security and protection at home.

The tragic fire in (I believe) Alpharetta GA a few years ago resulted in the loss of some EC covers and other important art.

I consider myself a caretaker in a sense, that's why I keep the important stuff in a SDB.

Well, in my case I have 5 or 6 ashcans that are unique. Mark has some court copies that historically important. And I think the Mile Highs and Allentowns should be preserved. Rare giveaways also come to mind.

I said almost because I'm sure there are some wealthy collectors who have appropriate security and protection at home.

The tragic fire in (I believe) Alpharetta GA a few years ago resulted in the loss of some EC covers and other important art.

I consider myself a caretaker in a sense, that's why I keep the important stuff in a SDB.

Moondog, I do respect and applaud your POV. :applause:

All teasing aside, few folks take the caretaker aspect of collecting more seriously than I, and BTW, a data-grade safe would've saved those lost EC covers (they're UL125 tested, meaning that they're built to withstand fires and keep sensitive data below 125 degrees for the duration of the typical fire and also designed to remain completely sealed during a fire, providing protection from possible water damage from firefighting).

I'm not saying that a SDB inside a vault would not do similarly well, but as modest as my collection is compared to some folks here I do feel that my Mile Highs, Rockfords, D copies, et al., are as safe and secure as they would be in a bank.

That doesn't mean I won't eventually move some of my high grade books to an SDB out of space consideration, but I can't see how keeping books in a location where I can't readily access them without the assistance of a bank employee is that much more secure than my current approach. (shrug)

I can honestly say that as both a collector of coins and currency; and comic books, I have never had a problem with safe deposit box storage. I do want to remind anyone considering a home safe to read the important information provided on the 'ASK CGC' forum. I feel so sorry for the original poster and thank him so much for sharing his story. Just think of the amount of collections he has saved.

Sincerely,

'mint'