• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 1 CGC prices in 2002?

39 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a record of Daredevil 1 CGC prices in 7.0 and above for this year? The reason that I ask is that these appear to be a little out of whack:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32730&item=2151853513

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75&item=2151013026

I know this one was ridiculous, but I thought that it was an aberration:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=747075798

Any research figures would be appreciated!!

Looks like CGC 8.0 were going for closer to the $1500 range earlier in the summer (as per the CBG Comic Book Checklist and Price Guide) this year. Guess the increase is due to the upcoming movie release.

• CGC 9.0 cream to offwhite -- $2357 (Heritage, March 16)
  • CGC 9.0 offwhite, $3305 (EBay, Sept 25)
  • CGC 8.0 cream to offwhite, $1700 (EBay buy-it-now, Oct 8)
  • CGC 9.2 offwhite -- $6499 (EBay, Oct 11)
  • Raw VF+ from showcasenewengland -- $2426 (EBay, Apr 16)
  • CGC 8.5 offwhite -- $2125 (EBay, June 29)
  • CGC 8.5 light tan to offwhite -- $1875 (EBay from Heritage, July 1)
  • CGC 9.2 offwhite -- $7200 (EBay, July 21)
  • CGC 9.0 cream to offwhite -- $3500 (EBay, July 21)
  • CGC 9.0 offwhite to white -- $2600 (EBay, Aug 10)
  • CGC 9.2 offwhite -- $6300 (EBay, Aug 28)
  • CGC 9.0 offwhite -- $3370 (EBay, Sept 4)
  • CGC 7.5 offwhite -- $1561 (EBay, Sept 4, had CGC 9.6 copy of Daredevil 196 thrown in)
  • CGC 9.2 offwhite "name/address stamp on first page" -- $5300 (EBay, Sept 9)
  • CGC 7.5 offwhite -- $1250 (EBay, Sept 19)

So yea, looks like those 7.5s are slightly thru the roof. Guess movie mania is beginning to build steam!

That all being said...

Does anyone think that DD1's price will rise in the upcoming OVerstreet guide, or is this all just purely movie mania?

Daredevil seems to have (perhaps) moved up into the top marvel superhero tier, and I personally think DD 1 is slightly undervalued($2700 NM). If you look at it among its contemporaries: ASM 1($28000 NM), JIM 83($6300 NM), Fantastic Four 1($27000 NM), Avengers 1($3700 NM), TOS 39($6000 NM), X-Men 1($10000 NM), it is way below any of them( I know FF1 and ASM 1 aren't really fair comparisons, but the others definately are). I would even venture to say that DD is more popular now than Thor, Iron Man, or the Avengers and Fantastic Four, I know DD hasn't always been, but, I think a case can be made to say DD1 is undervalued anyway.

DD is a flash-in-the-pan. FF, ASM, Avengers (maybe), Cap, and X-men will most likely always be more popular in the long-run. I think the DD 1 price is perfect where it's at..before the movie how many people do you know were looking for a DD 1? I don't think I knew of anyone..hell, before the movie I thought he was about as crappy as Thor is.. (sorry to those of you who like Thor but I think he's very boring).

Brian

I don't know about flash-in-the pan. It is one of the few titles that has lasted from the 60s through to the present.

Ever since Frank Miller's run, DD has been steadily incresing in popularity.

While DD may be a bit too dark for a lot of readers, I still think it has passed FF, Avengers, Cap(no offense - but does anyone read Cap anymore?), Iron Man and Thor.

Although the numbers might be temporarily higher for DD right now..in the long run all those titles you mentioned completely out sold DD. Well maybe not Cap, some of those pre 444 (or whatever issue it was) were just utter . I'd guess that once the movie is in and out of theatres you'll see DD return to the 3rd tier.

Brian

Price-wise though DD has been extremely undervalued for years compared to Marvel's other first appearances. I think DD #1 will keep some of it's price after the movie dies down comparable to Cap, Iron Man, and Avengers first appearance prices because collectors have finally figured this out.

I agree. In the past, DD 1 has been one of the easiest Marvel Silver Age key books to find (at least until the last couple of months) b/c relative to all the other keys, it was published much later (4/64 vs. 9/63 for X-men and Avengers 1, the last keys before DD 1) and was never real popular until Miller took over, so copies were cheap. However, at 1/4 the guide value of X-men 1, it has room to grow, and the movie will forever put the character in the consciousness of the general public. I'm sure there are many non-comic collectors that never heard of DD until now, but the same can't be said from this point on...

Daredevil #1 will rise a little but not much. Storms said this once before--it's common in high grade. I don't see many in 9.4 or better, but in the 8.5 to 9.2 range it seems very common. Just look at the length of the list I made of this year's sales; there are probably more 8.5 to 9.2 copies in that list than sales this year for Avengers 1, X-Men 1, Fantastic Four 1, Journey Into Mystery 83, and Amazing Fantasy 15 in comparable grades combined.

I've been collecting Daredevil for over fifteen years, but I do recognize the weaknesses of the title. The biggest one is that he's a morose character, and because of that, a lot of people won't like him. He's moody, and the title tends to be dark; that ultimately gets difficult to take over the long term as compared to some of the more upbeat characters like Spidey. Other problems include a lack of likable villains (his major foes comprise a good deal of Marvel's B-list villains), a lack of exceptional artistic or writing talent on the title outside of Miller and short-term runs by artists like Wally Wood or John Romita, and a lack of major happenings (what are the major DD Silver Age keys? #1 and, um, #1. I guess you could count #7, but it's B- or C-list as far as Silver keys go).

What reawakened interest in Daredevil in recent years? Kevin Smith writing a 6-part story. And he hasn't written a story since! I don't see the recent high prices paid for his comics continuing very far beyond the movie.

Nice research FF - thanks!

My opinion on it is that they do a look a little out of whack, but the prices may be going more into line for a 1st tier character. I agree that #1 may be the only key, but it is a Marvel #1 key that you won't need to sell a kidney for at the moment. Even if the movie blows, the awareness of the character will have gone up, and I think that they will stay relatively high afterwards.

Plus I'm sure he doesn't want to anybody off at 20th Century Fox, or ruin the possibility of sequels to the Daredevil film that he could be in line to direct. I'm frankly surprised they didn't consider him to direct the first film. The only reason I can think of they didn't is because he hasn't directed a blockbuster action flick before.

I can't IMAGINE why they wouldn't ask him to write the screenplay. His popularity alone would have drawn more people to the film.