• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NINE TO GO

119 posts in this topic

Big book of fun comics #1 looks familiar like I might of maybe (my memory is [!@#%^&^] so take anything I say with a grain of salt) seen it at a LCS in town.....were there other issues other than #1?

There are two other early annuals, the New Book Of Comics Numbers One and Two, that look similar but not the same. The Big Book Of Comics is larger sized, a million times rarer than those two, and was exclusively available in 1936 only through Woolworths.

The two issues of the New Book Of Comics turn up regularly on e-bay for as low as five hundred dollars each in low grade.

Came across a Batman Adventures "Coloring Book" - it looks like a comic, but is a coloring book. No price, apparently. Is this something you need?

An unbelievable achievment Ian to have gotten as close as you have. You can add me to someone who will be looking for the issues you need. When you do complete your collection, do you have a new collecting plan in mind? Example: Upgrade certain copies to better grades, take on another company such as Timely, etc. Just curious. Congrats again. thumbsup2.gif

I had a lead on a bunch of pre-Bats Detectives including a few that you needed. However, the person in question has NO interest in selling the three that you need separately and would only part with his whole pre-27 run in one VERY expensive swoop. I'll keep hammering away at him, though.

Good luck!

Can't we pool our resources to obtain them ???

I'm sure Metropolis or Harley would buy some of them, and I would certainly pay for the 3 and 4. I already agreed a deal with ComicLink for the 5.

Centaur Man on these boards also collects pre-heroes.

I would happily contribute funds to this effort. I only have 5 of the first 12 issues (1, 6, 9, 11, 12) and would join a consortium with Ian and whomever else to make this happen. I could probably afford at least a few more of those issues before my wife starts making that weird noise in the back of her throat, the one that tells me to stop spending OUR money on MY comics.

Came across a Batman Adventures "Coloring Book" - it looks like a comic, but is a coloring book. No price, apparently. Is this something you need?

Thanks but I got it, and I also had a spare that I either gave to Jerome or to Metarog. I can't remember which one of the two I gave it to.

An unbelievable achievment Ian to have gotten as close as you have. You can add me to someone who will be looking for the issues you need. When you do complete your collection, do you have a new collecting plan in mind? Example: Upgrade certain copies to better grades, take on another company such as Timely, etc. Just curious. Congrats again.

I'm upgrading all the time.

And will carry on constantly.

I upgrade if either the cover had a piece missing or if there are any pages out or if the comic is so tatty it looks horrible. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I could really do with upgrading Comic Cavalcade 20, and Girls Love 5, as both have extensive faults, if anyone can help cheaply. These are not comics I'm missing, just ones I want to upgrade.

Good going Ian, you must be pleased

Is this what you sold your Shib to fund?

I wish......

It's still here.

It never met its reserve.

Wanna buy it ????????

(Or trade it for a Detective 3 ???)

Good going Ian, you must be pleased

Is this what you sold your Shib to fund?

I wish......

It's still here.

It never met its reserve.

Wanna buy it ????????

(Or trade it for a Detective 3 ???)

I wish i had somewhere to put it, or a Detective 3 for that matter....

Terrible news about Mr Ainley eh?

Terrible news about Mr Ainley eh?

What happened ???? I just came home after being out all day. Send me a private message, as it's too off-topic for this thread. I assume it's some sort of bad news ?????

DOCTOR WHO is never off-topic to me

While I've got you on line, Arnold, what happened to ALL those corrections I made to the Overstreet Guide ???

They were ALL ignored.

I remember telling you that there was a Demon 58, that Psycho was missed out altogether, and so was Laziest Secretary In The World, Mars On Earth, What If This Were Heaven, and so many more.

I am currently re-filing my entire collection.

While doing so, I am writing down each and every DC comic that is missed out from Overstreet.

I have so far filled two sides of A4.

Am I just UTTERLY COMPLETELY wasting my time ????

A comic guide that ignores facts is worthless to a collector.

So why am I bothering ??????

I’ll be honest (which is what I always am when I’m not also being sarcastic smile.gif ), but I can’t recall the specifics of our one phone conversation apart from your telling me the story of your involvement in the writing of “Attack of the Cybermen” and asking about the existence of those Teen Titans and Dragonlance annuals.

What I *do* know is that we act on any and all corrections and suggestions submitted to us in writing and with all corroborating xeroxes of indicia, covers, physical dimensions if necessary, or other information needed to verify the correction. And you can see from a thread elsewhere on this board (sorry, I don’t remember where, somebody will put up a link I’m sure) that after we received a lengthy list of corrections documented via e-mail and regular mail earlier last year, just about all of them that could be verified before we went to press did indeed get fixed. Obviously, any data received after our deadline date is held until it can be verified for future editions.

*Nothing* is a waste of time if you send us the info in writing so we can verify it. We’re always concerned with making every edition of the book better and more accurate than the last one. So rest assured, if you send us all the info, we’ll do our best to get it in there.

Arnold

*Nothing* is a waste of time if you send us the info in writing so we can verify it.

When I've finished my definitive list of every DC missing from Overstreet, I shall indeed hand it over to you.

But you should check with Tom Gordon.

I spent hours on the phone with him last year, listing Overstreet omissions, all of which are STILL omissions. And that was nearly six months before the guide came out.

I can assure you there is nobody more qualified to give you a list of every missing DC.

The only other qualified person who would be in a position to give you this type of information, has all the promos and previews missing, so I'm told.

My list WILL be correct.

And I will post it on here for everyone, in a couple of months time, which is what I estimate it will take to finish.

I would happily contribute funds to this effort. I only have 5 of the first 12 issues (1, 6, 9, 11, 12) and would join a consortium with Ian and whomever else to make this happen. I could probably afford at least a few more of those issues before my wife starts making that weird noise in the back of her throat, the one that tells me to stop spending OUR money on MY comics.

I'm just waiting in suspense to see if I can get the list down to 8. There's a very real lead, but it's NOT a Detective.

And I will post it on here for everyone, in a couple of months time, which is what I estimate it will take to finish.

That would be great to have! thumbsup2.gif

Think of all the DC completionists you'll inspire as they begin shopping with that handy checklist! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ian, do you have the SoMuchFun! Inc. DC's. The first time I ever heard of them was in the article in the Comics Buyer's Guide I just got. It says they were sold in bagged three packs in the early 1980's in stores like Hallmark. They talked to the guy that ran the company and he doesn't know which issues they marketted or how many different issues there were.

Here's a scan of an example that was pictured in the article.

somuchfun.jpg