• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lee and Turner - what is the big deal?

25 posts in this topic

I have grown weary of the Turner/Lee hoopla. For starters, Lee is better. Turner draws horrible women. Why the big rush to get their comics? They both have been around forever and suddenly their popularity explodes? I don't get it. Turner draws a Flash cover and sales skyrocket. Lee's squared-off Batman head is insane. It must be me because that many people couldn't be wrong. Does ANYONE around here share my sentiments? I do not mean to rip them or their abilities because they obviously have skills, but why the strong response?

it is the first time these "Image" artists are doing classic DC characters. It is just my biased opinon but these characters are long overdue for a Top Cow treatment tongue.gif otherwise we'd still just have the same old blah DC as usual. This imprint is receiving a much needed boost in popularity by bringing in interest from the "Top Cow t & A" crowd...

Considering the idolatry heaped upon Liefeld and McFarlane a decade or so ago, nothing surprises me. Lee and Turner neither annoy nor excite me, but I find some satisfaction that in the long run, the better artists in the medium are recognized for their talents.

Turner I don't get. Nice covers I suppose, but his story art just doesn't hold up for me.

I was never a fan of Jim Lee until the Hush run on Batman. I really think his work took a big step forward there. He really did seem to be channeling the entire history of important Batman artists (Kane, Adams, Aparo, Miller, et al) through a unique lense. It was the first time I had seen his work and was truly impressed by his talent.

From what I've seen of his Superman work so far I'm not quite as taken however. Seems a little skewed to me and far closer to what I would have expected in his Marvel and Image days.

it is the first time these "Image" artists are doing classic DC characters.

And there you have it in a nutshell.

Comics has a long history of "Artist X is now working for us!" hype. Anyone remember "Kirby is here!" from DC in the 70s? It's no different now with these two. The fact that the pair of them have been amongst the most popular artists of the last decade plus doesn't hurt matters in terms of the LEVEL of hype, but it's not a new phenomenon.

Why the big rush to get their comics? They both have been around forever and suddenly their popularity explodes? I don't get it.

Maybe its something to do with the overall lack of quality new talent in comics art at the moment. Apart from a very select few (like Del 'Otto), there are really not too many to get excited about.

it is the first time these "Image" artists are doing classic DC characters. It is just my biased opinon but these characters are long overdue for a Top Cow treatment tongue.gif otherwise we'd still just have the same old blah DC as usual. This imprint is receiving a much needed boost in popularity by bringing in interest from the "Top Cow t & A" crowd...

Darth right on the mark thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif We agree again devil.gif

With Lee, the figures are very dynamic--very dramatic poses and action postures. But I can't stand how he scratches up their faces in some sort of weird "detail line work" attempts. There are plenty of better pencillers out there who get little credit.

I agree with Rob... let's name names as to who these better artists are. I'm not a huge Turner fan (and if you look at the Flash 207 cover, it looks nice at first, but then try looking at the proportions drawn... it's awful).

Lee has been around for almost 20 years, and is a solid, solid artist. I actually enjoy his style (although his faces are all the same) and it's partly cause I grew up on it.

As already mentioned... DC is getting the Image style treatment for the first time, and a lot of people are very excited.

There are plenty of better pencillers out there who get little credit.

Name names. Then you can say their credit-getting starts with you thumbsup2.gif

I think the work done recently in Ultimate Six and Ultimates is better than Lee's work.

Trevor Hairsane (sp?) was the artist on Ultimate Six... thought the work was okay... on line with turner's art as being nice, but not special.

As for Bryan Hitch, on the Ultimates, his artwork is very nice... too bad it takes six months to draw an issue.

part of what makes Jim Lee great was when he was churning out monthly (a la Punisher and X-Men) work of high quality. When he started having problems on Wild CATS and Divine Right, his status dropped in my mind. Lee has returned to prominence because he drew a) one of the best known characters in all of pop culture b) did it on a monthly schedule and c) gave Bats his best look since Neal Adams.

When the other two guys have proven themselves for that long, I'll put them in Jim Lee's category -- and I love Hitch's stuff -- it's just so heavily photo referenced and takes so long to do, something is lost.

There are plenty of better pencillers out there who get little credit.

Name names. Then you can say their credit-getting starts with you thumbsup2.gif

I think the work done recently in Ultimate Six and Ultimates is better than Lee's work.

I collect Hitch original art, so I'll definitely give you him. But I'm not sure what the problem is, any lack of "hype" in relation to Hitch is PURELY his own damned fault. Hitch is a star on one of the most high profile books in the industry. If he were quicker, he'd get all the pub Lee does, without a doubt. As it stands he simply can't keep any publicity momentum because his books take six years in between issues.

Now, I was not collecting during Lee's X-Men heyday, but I do like his work. I was very impressed by the Batman "Hush" series. I hadn't bought Batman in decades, but I gave it a go. (Of course, I quit after the run.) The writer deserves credit for the Batman series also.

I am enjoying the Turner issues of "Superman/Batman". Overall, I like both styles. I agree with the "etching" on Lee's faces. But having been subjected to some of the art lately in JLA (oy) anything's better. (Not counting the current Byrne run, but he's slipped alot over the years.)

Who would I consider better currently than Lee/Turner?

Hitch is very good, but the time comment is right on.

Love Alex Ross's work but it's been so limited.

I'm beginning to like how Rags Morales style is evolving. See a lot of Wrightson influence too me.

I'm sure there's others... confused.gif

Nice! Not $3,500 nice, but nice nonetheless.

By the way, Hitch can't finish a book on schedule because, as one of his peers (who shall remain nameless) told me, he has become over-reliant on photographic references for his work. Not sure if he's some kind of perfectionist or what, but apparently he spends an inordinate amount of time searching/researching references instead of drawing from his imagination.

I have mixed feelings about Turner...some of his work I like, some I think is $@#&. I do think there are a number of better pencillers working in the biz today, though, including:

Jim Lee (Superman)

Mike Perkins (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang)

Greg Land (Sojourn)

Mike Deodato Jr. (Hulk, soon to be on ASM too)

Steve Epting (El Cazador)

Bryan Hitch (Ultimates)

Interesting, no one has mentioned McFarlane, although it is very tough to consider him a regular. I also do not understand the big popularity of the Ultimate line. I can't stand USM and thus, won't even pick up the ither stuff. Oh well, to each his own.

Interesting, no one has mentioned McFarlane, although it is very tough to consider him a regular. I also do not understand the big popularity of the Ultimate line. I can't stand USM and thus, won't even pick up the ither stuff.

I'm betting that not reading any of them would go a long way towards explaining why you don't understand their popularity. 27_laughing.gif

Personally, I think Ultimates is a great series. The first two trades are out now, if your problems with USM are not of the "I can't believe they changed X variety, then I'd recommend it. I just wish it was out more often...

I also enjoy Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. For what it's worth, I'll almost certainly enjoy UFF even more when Warren Ellis comes on board.