• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Comic Con report w/pix and surprise boardie appearance picture!

42 posts in this topic

Long Beach Comic Con

Long Beach, CA

October 29-30, 2011

For those that to not know this show is also a horror show as well a comic book show. Last year's show besides seeing some of the Walking Dead cast before the pilot episode that Sunday was a pretty bad show. Last year it was a 3-day show that fell on Halloween that Sunday, which really hurt attendance. Last years dealers were pretty upset, and some did not come back this year. Harley Yee , Jamie Graham, & A-1 Comics were at this show in 2010, but did not attend this year in 2011.

This year the ex-Wizards employees girls who run this show decided to make the show only a 2-day show & thankfully the weekend dates did not fall on Halloween. :applause:

I arrived Friday night to get my exhibitor's badge and check-in to the hotel.

Gemma got Bradley Bradley, and I tickets to the Haunted Queen Mary Ship that is permanently stationed in the harbor. Every Halloween they set-up those fun & scary mazes to venture through.

HalloweenPast-Present9.jpg

Saturday was of course buying comics, seeing if I wanted any sketches, and meeting some fun celebrities.

I bought some really nice HG books, and since all my fellow sharks comic dealers were not in attendance I did very, very well.

I bought more comics at this show than I did at WW Chicago. :whistle:

Saturday Night a bunch of us went out to George's Greek Restaurant to eat located in downtown Long Beach. After dinner it was filled with a lot of vodka and beer with the gang.

3 am fell asleep.......

Sunday I didn't bother going to the show because to be quite honest the show is so small that I got to do everything I wanted to get done all day Saturday.

I got in my car with my hang over and drove back down to San Diego to watch my Eagles choke like they always do with that fat disgrace Andy "Mr. Chokefest coach of the year" Reid, and another thing.......oh wait sorry wrong thread.

I give the show a solid B because the attendance was up probably by 25% this year, and making it a 2-day show in conjunction with focused on horror as well was pretty cool. As long as they never put the show on Halloween again I think this show has room to grow, and hopefully a couple more dealers will be coming back next year that boycotted this year's show.

Very much looking forwards to next year's show!

THE FOLLOWING THREAD HAS BEEN PAID FOR NEW WORLD SOT ORDER

Special thank you to Gemma for all she did for me as this show!

One of my best friends in the comic book community for sure!

Thanks for all the fun times! :foryou:

Gemma working the CGC booth with Bradley.

6328114971_0fe14d8e37_b.jpg

IMAG0065 by deviljin, on Flickr

Getting a quick signature from a true horror legend.

John Carpenter (Halloween writer/director)

6328115257_879ff8e605_b.jpg

IMAG0069 by deviljin, on Flickr

Best Foosball Player maybe in the world.

Comic Book Dealer Phil Schlaefer manning this booth.

6328115121_33a89f1b5a_b.jpg

IMAG0068 by deviljin, on Flickr

One of my favorite dealers on the west coast.......

Ed Robertson (robocard on the boards)

Phoenix based dealer.

6328868962_52b8ee5baa_b.jpg

IMAG0071 by deviljin, on Flickr

This was a random item I just picked up while I was waiting with BeachBum in the TMNT line to meet Kevin Eastman (creator of TMNT).

Long Beach Exclusive Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimate Collection 1 HC TMNT Sketch Variant 1/250

This HC has not been released yet for sale as the other HC #1 cover is full color unlike this Long Beach exclusive black/white version.

Eastman also did a sketch for me in the book of my favorite character from the series Shredder!

***If any hardcore TMNT fan is interested in this please send me a PM, and we can work something out. Honestly I just got it because it was just there in front of me***

6328116015_6ff21caaa9_b.jpg

IMAG0074 by deviljin, on Flickr

6328869080_c21ba111ce_b.jpg

IMAG0075 by deviljin, on Flickr

This was the highlight of the show because I started to talk to this gentleman at the CGC booth.

It wasn't till the end of our conversation that somehow the CGC boards got brought up.

I of course introduced myself as SOT.

He introduced himself as........................

Any guesses who this mystery well known CGC board poster is?

6328868280_f95eeb1364_b.jpg

IMAG0064 by deviljin, on Flickr

This was the highlight of the show because I started to talk to this gentleman at the CGC booth.

It wasn't till the end of our conversation that somehow the CGC boards got brought up.

oh my god....

C A..... no it can't be

Is the List under his hat?

There's only one of him?

There's only one of him?

I would have guessed Barry Weiss's brother from Storage Wars fame. Same taste in wardrobe. :whee: