• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Match Celebrities with Comics?

31 posts in this topic

I'm curious which comics TV and movie celebrities are good for - meaning won't hurt the value. For example, I doubt you'd want to have Lou Ferrigno sign a Hulk 1. Am I wrong on that? Just use any common Hulk? How about better, non key comics? Would Hugh Jackman be a good signature for an '82 Wolvie 1?

There are some comics that use an actor's image who played a particular character, and those are obvious choices. I'm taking about not so obvious.

How about Affleck, Garner and/or Farrell on this:

5081401_1.jpg

That's actually a pretty good question. I think it becomes up to the buyer more so than any census or compilation of figures from sales over time because it all depends on what the buyer thinks of that person. Let's say you buy a book, get it signed by a celebrity and the next day said celeb gets into some bad situation and no-one wants to have anything to do with him anymore and even you think his actions were disgusting so now is that book worthless? What about the value of the book before it was signed? Ever hear of comebacks? Said celeb goes underground for a few months and comes back with a small role in several movies and rebuilds a decent career and all of a sudden is loved by millions again.

Ebb and flow....

I'm curious which comics TV and movie celebrities are good for - meaning won't hurt the value. For example, I doubt you'd want to have Lou Ferrigno sign a Hulk 1. Am I wrong on that? Just use any common Hulk? How about better, non key comics? Would Hugh Jackman be a good signature for an '82 Wolvie 1?

There are some comics that use an actor's image who played a particular character, and those are obvious choices. I'm taking about not so obvious.

There is no way to give a completely comprehensive answer. So much of it is personal preference, and also so much of it depends upon the motivation of the person putting the book together. Is it to keep or is it to sell.

I personally like to do books that are contemporaneous with the movie TV show or whatever. So for Peter Weller, I did Buckaroo Banzai and Robocop from Marvel, that were released at the same time (or close thereafter). Some people really like to have photo covers, so a lot of the modern Robocop books were done that had Weller photo covers. I don't think any one is more right than the other, but personal preference is paramount.

Another example is the Buck Rogers books. I have a sweet Buck Rogers book signed by Gil Gerard and Erin Gray. It is on a really nice Whitman BR book from 79 or 80. But there is another book out there that has a painted cover or a photo cover of the two of them that is the PERFECT book to get done.

As it relates to books that don't have any direct connection, IMO it is best to get as close to the subject as possible. I would get an X-Men movie comic done before I would get a Wolvie 1 done for Hugh jackman. I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Wolvie, by any means but it goes back to my preference to have the book be as close to the movie or TV show as possible.

if there is a photo cover available with the character I use it. If not then creative time. I will go for a magazine before using a regular non photo cover comic.

if there is a photo cover available with the character I use it. If not then creative time. I will go for a magazine before using a regular non photo cover comic.

+1. I am not a huge fan of having a celebrity sign any random book. I would only go with photo covers, or magazines.

+1. I am not a huge fan of having a celebrity sign any random book. I would only go with photo covers, or magazines.

First of all, I respect your opinion. This is an example of why I disagree. This book was created to be released in coordination with the release of the movie. It is the adaptation of the movie and to me is the perfect amalgamation of my love of comics and my love of celebrity autographs. Creating the perfect Yellow Label Storm:

IMG00370-20110518-0839.jpg

First of all, I respect your opinion. This is an example of why I disagree. This book was created to be released in coordination with the release of the movie. It is the adaptation of the movie and to me is the perfect amalgamation of my love of comics and my love of celebrity autographs. Creating the perfect Yellow Label Storm:

IMG00370-20110518-0839.jpg

Sorry, good call on that. I didn't think about comics released specifically for the movie. I would get a comic adaptation of spider-man 2 signed by Tobey Maguire, but I would never have him sign a regular issue of ASM.

How about Affleck, Garner and/or Farrell on this:

5081401_1.jpg

Since people go gaga for 9.8's I would go with DD 181. A significant book plus a 9.8 of that book is a lot cheaper than 168. Also the yellow back ground is a nice canvass for a black marker. I'm not as big a fan of silver sharpie's and 168 is a dark cover.

any good choices for Captain Jean-Luc Picard ?.. Any good photo comic covers out there at all for him or ?.. I know there are xmen stuff but I am more of a fan of his startrek stuff