• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Incredible Hulk #181

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I thought this would be a good way to get my feet wet on these boards.

I tried puting the pics of the comic here, but for some reason not all of them were loading properly.

So here are the details,

The pages appear to be off-white, there are 2 or 3 very minor, almost not noticeable creases along the spine. On the top left corner, some of the colour has been lost and there is a slight bend, which is apparent in the pic. Although it is not a complete bend if that makes sense. Describing it makes it sound a lot worse then it actually is.

I don't have a scanner, so I had to use a digital camera... as a result it looks like there is some fading of colour... but really... there isn't. Also the cover looks a bit like a trapezoid in its shape, but again, it isn't. The back cover looks excellent to me.

Click here to see the pics of the comic

Its real tough to grade a book with all the glare coming of the bag. From what I can make out from your pic, your book falls in the VF- range.

Its real tough to grade a book with all the glare coming of the bag. From what I can make out from your pic, your book falls in the VF- range.

is it just me or does the top look trimmed....look at the comics code symbol.I'm gonna say 8.0-8.5 maybe...need a better pic

It's too hard to see from those pics. You do need to take the comic out of that polybag and store it in a mylar with an acid free backing board with a 3% calcium carbonate buffer. The book is worth the extra expense.

sounds like a good idea tongue.gif

in my opinion the comic is 7.5 - 8.0... but I'm still unsure as I've seen some hulk 181's that are graded at 9.0 or so that appear to be worse... I guess I'll just have to send it into CGC...

how much would it cost to send this comic in? would it have to be express or standard? Standard says up to $1000... I believe this comic is worth $1300 near mint... but, this comic isn't near mint...

Well, if you really believe that... I guess the pics I provided are really not good enough.

The bend on the top left corner does not even show up on the back cover... anyway, I'll grade it anyway, can anyone answer my questions regarding CGC in my prior post?

Regardless of it's grade, I still got a good deal on it... 7 years ago I bought it for $130US

sounds like a good idea tongue.gif

in my opinion the comic is 7.5 - 8.0... but I'm still unsure as I've seen some hulk 181's that are graded at 9.0 or so that appear to be worse... I guess I'll just have to send it into CGC...

how much would it cost to send this comic in? would it have to be express or standard? Standard says up to $1000... I believe this comic is worth $1300 near mint... but, this comic isn't near mint...

7.0; It can go standard; only Hulk 181's in the NM range require the FMV determination based fee or Express. This copy in CGC 7.0 maybe worth $400 - $600

It's too hard to see from those pics. You do need to take the comic out of that polybag and store it in a mylar with an acid free backing board with a 3% calcium carbonate buffer. The book is worth the extra expense.

Just thought I'd make an update. I got a backing board and a mylar yesterday for this comic. I went to a comic store for first time in over 10 years. (I've only just recently had interest in my comics again )

The dealer tried to sell me 100 backing boards and bags... it was tempting... but I really only needed one of each for now. I asked if I could just buy one of each, after a little delay he was nice to give them to me for free!

So... I've seen some posts on here where people have talked about actually touching a hulk 181 issue... and how much joy this gave them... so... does anyone want the old bag that my hulk 181 was in? Just pay for shipping and its yours! tongue.gif

Just thought I'd make an update. I got a backing board and a mylar yesterday for this comic. I went to a comic store for first time in over 10 years. (I've only just recently had interest in my comics again )

The dealer tried to sell me 100 backing boards and bags... it was tempting... but I really only needed one of each for now. I asked if I could just buy one of each, after a little delay he was nice to give them to me for free!

So... I've seen some posts on here where people have talked about actually touching a hulk 181 issue... and how much joy this gave them... so... does anyone want the old bag that my hulk 181 was in? Just pay for shipping and its yours! tongue.gif

very funny....very funny. insane.gif

That was me who touched the Hulk 181. Could you throw in thre Hulk 181 in with the deal you stated above?

very funny....very funny. insane.gif

That was me who touched the Hulk 181. Could you throw in thre Hulk 181 in with the deal you stated above?

ok sure, but I think shipping is going to be rather expensive.

I think it falls in the 7.0 range primarily 'cause off upper left corner. grin.gif

I concur...7.0 maybe even a 6.5....can't see everything through that bag, but that corner's going to lower the grade for sure. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it falls in the 7.0 range primarily 'cause off upper left corner. grin.gif

I concur...7.0 maybe even a 6.5....can't see everything through that bag, but that corner's going to lower the grade for sure. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That corner is pretty bad... although it is only seen from the front... so it could be worse... I'm just starting to wonder if the book was pressed in an attempt to "fix" it... oh well...

I bought it on ebay 7 years ago... who knows what the original owner did to it. frown.gif