• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the first GGA cover?

38 posts in this topic

Sweet books! :applause:

I think the Planets in particular show that 1940-41 shift at Fiction House that I was talking about, from standard damsel in distress to the true GGA "look" that they were known for. As you mentioned 2 isn't really GGA (BHD - nice!), with 8 it's starting to get there and by 13 you've got the real deal.

I think the Planets in particular show that 1940-41 shift at Fiction House that I was talking about, from standard damsel in distress to the true GGA "look" that they were known for. As you mentioned 2 isn't really GGA (BHD - nice!), with 8 it's starting to get there and by 13 you've got the real deal.

Yes, I think that's the point!

Jeff, with the Planets and Jumbos you've cited, I think it's as simple as that GGA artist extraordinaire Dan Zolnerowich started drawing the Fiction House covers.

Arguably, Fox Comics (also Eisner/Iger shop, initially) was ahead of the game -- some nice ones in their 1939-1941 lineup.

Where do you put / how do you categorize:

The Comics Magazine (Funny Pages) v. 1 # 5 from September 1936

[/img]

Damn. Thread over. :pullhair:

Okay, what was the second? :blush:

6353107085_cdf96b16f8_o.jpg

Blondie was usually considered a good girl.

I need that issue

Jeff, with the Planets and Jumbos you've cited, I think it's as simple as that GGA artist extraordinaire Dan Zolnerowich started drawing the Fiction House covers.

Arguably, Fox Comics (also Eisner/Iger shop, initially) was ahead of the game -- some nice ones in their 1939-1941 lineup.

Z. has to be one of the best artists for whom there is so little public info. In terms of guys in the early 40s he was waaay in the upper echelon :)