• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's tough to get out there in Moderns? ...anything?

64 posts in this topic

Flex Mentallo - first work for Millar?

A Grant Morrison penned spinoff from his wonderfully bizarre Doom Patrol run. Frank Quitely provided the art. Why would a comic artist need a pseudonym, by the way? Don't get me wrong, I love terrible wordplay, but still...

A Grant Morrison penned spinoff from his wonderfully bizarre Doom Patrol run. Frank Quitely provided the art. Why would a comic artist need a pseudonym, by the way? Don't get me wrong, I love terrible wordplay, but still...

thanks for correcting me ... I knew I glossed over it in a Wizard... so first Morrison/Quitely team-up and first Quitely work?

thanks for correcting me ... I knew I glossed over it in a Wizard... so first Morrison/Quitely team-up and first Quitely work?

It's not the first Quitely work:

The Incomplete Frank Quitely Checklist

Wondering if moderns are getting tough to find relative to Silver and/or Bronze Age primarily due to the lower print runs of the late 90's to early 2000. Specifically in DC's, DC Vertigo, and Marvel. Also wondering .... is anyone looking for this

I would say in general no. But apparently those last issue Valiants are pretty hard to come by makepoint.gif...I think the the question you really have to ask yourself though is not only are they tough to find, but how many people really want them? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would say in general no. But apparently those last issue Valiants are pretty hard to come by makepoint.gif...I think the the question you really have to ask yourself though is not only are they tough to find, but how many people really want them? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it just the FINAL LAST issue of each run that is hard to find or is it the last few issues of each run. I was in my LCS over the weekend and saw the last few issues for most of the Valiant runs. Don't believe they had the final one for Magnus, Solar, or Turok. I think they had all the other ones such as Rai, Harbinger, Eternal Warrior, etc.

Are any of these worth picking up since they was going for around $2.50 each or around the price of a new comic? Maybe I'll catch up on some of my Valiant reading since the early issues were actually quite good.

I believe in the next couple decades the last couple issues of Cerebus will be very very hard to find....now the demand for them.I dunno. 6000 issue print runs are pretty small.

People love early cerebus, but mid cerebus and on people start not liking it that's why the print run started going really really small by the last 100 issues.

Is it just the FINAL LAST issue of each run that is hard to find or is it the last few issues of each run.

Well, since the "last issue is low print" idea wasn't established by Valiant...

Vampirella, GI Joe, Transformers, Star Wars, etc., are probably all very low print

in the last dozen issues, but the idea that the LAST issue is low print

seems to make the last issue more popular.

For Valiant, any 1995-96 issues are pretty low print... in the 9,000 to 20,000 range,

but in the long run, it comes down to the absolute final issues that have moved

into the $5 and $10 price range... with the others leading up to it at $2 to $4.

If we're mentioning "tough moderns", I would say that

the Predator vs. Magnus 64page graphic novel is extremely tough...

There are tons of copies of 1992's Predator vs. Magnus #1 and #2 comics,

but that 1994 graphic novel is very elusive...

I think it was greatly underordered since the

original comics were still so plentiful.

The Girl who Would Be Death #1-4

This is interesting, as when I sold off a few full Vertigo runs last year on eBay, three of the five questions I got from other eBay-users was whether I had this mini-series (I didn't) Why is it so special ?

The Girl who Would Be Death #1-4

This is interesting, as when I sold off a few full Vertigo runs last year on eBay, three of the five questions I got from other eBay-users was whether I had this mini-series (I didn't) Why is it so special ?

I'm missing #4! 893frustrated.gif Haven't found one yet. It's a Sandmanish spinoff mini featuring Death. Apparently it's a bit obscure, like the Silverback mini is to Grendel.

Wondering if moderns are getting tough to find relative to Silver and/or Bronze Age primarily due to the lower print runs of the late 90's to early 2000. Specifically in DC's

By far, and I mean BY FAR, the toughest modern DC to acquire is a complete set of Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children.

An absolutely FULL set consists of issues 1 to 30, plus the special prestige squarebound "Cotton Candy Autopsy", plus the Trade Paperback "What If This Were Heaven, Wouldn't That Be Hell", plus the ultra ultra rare giveaway PREVIEW.

Acquiring all 33 items is next to impossible, particularly as issue number 27 HAS to be the single rarest comic from the last twenty years.

It took me nearly three years of incredibly intense searching to complete the set, and apart from the first ten issues, they almost never come up.

I know of no-one else but me who has managed all thirty three items.

Is it just the FINAL LAST issue of each run that is hard to find or is it the last few issues of each run.

Hawkman 33 from the 1990s was supposed to not exist, particularly as no copy ever shipped to England from Diamond when it was a new release. All the dealers said it was a myth until I actually found one and held it in my hands.

And a set of Flex Mentallo 1-4 is so sought after.

All those Piranha one-shots like Laziest Secretary In The World, and Mars On Earth, almost never show up, and aren't even listed in Overstreet.

By far, and I mean BY FAR, the toughest modern DC to acquire is a complete set of Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children.

An absolutely FULL set consists of issues 1 to 30, plus the special prestige squarebound "Cotton Candy Autopsy", plus the Trade Paperback "What If This Were Heaven, Wouldn't That Be Hell", plus the ultra ultra rare giveaway PREVIEW.

Acquiring all 33 items is next to impossible, particularly as issue number 27 HAS to be the single rarest comic from the last twenty years.

It took me nearly three years of incredibly intense searching to complete the set, and apart from the first ten issues, they almost never come up.

I know of no-one else but me who has managed all thirty three items.

I thought this was one of the most interesting threads to ever appear on this forum.

Often we're all so busy chasing the past that we fail to see potential future classics right under our noses.

I only realised, once I had to fill in the DC gaps between 1986 when I stopped, and 2002 when I started again, how PHENOMENALLY rare some of the oddball titles are to even locate a copy anywhere in the world.

I wish more people had contributed their thoughts to such a wonderful thread.