• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do people sell so cheap?!

11 posts in this topic

I constantly see people selling cgc graded comics for well under what they would have paid alone to get them graded. Granted I realize that they might be trying to make up for lost money, but sometimes these books are 3 or 4s that are basically going for 8 dollars. Certainly most people realize that they arent going to get that much money for the book and that it might not be worth the risk. Or do they? Is there some sort of discount besides the 20 percent with heritage that I've seen? Maybe a bulk deal?

I'm sorry if this seems like trolling/flaming. Im just knew to this and it boggles my mind. Also Im sorry if this is the wrong forum.

WELCOME TO THE BAORDS!!!

If you wanted more responses you might have tried the General Comics section, but as you stated your new so don't sweat it.

There are so many reasons to you questions I hardly know where to begin. Some thoughts would be:

1. The seller does not know how to grade books appropriately and is sending in books that don't grade out like he'd hoped.

2. It could be a dealer that got a discount on a bulk order, though I haven't heard of any?

3. The seller purchased the book for even cheaper and is not flipping it for a small profit.

4. The seller sent in some cheap book to try out CGC's service before moving on to high dollar books, and is just dumping them becuase they are low grade.

5. The seller originally had the book graded for added protection and is now selling off his collection (Silver Age and Older, it happens)

6. The seller is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? 27_laughing.gif

7. The books were graded to fill holes in a CGC Registry set.

I am sure someone else will be along to add to my list, but these are what come to mind right off the bat.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've picked up a few moderns in 9.4 for less than slabbing fees and Bronze age books in 7.5 - 8.5 for less than slabbing fees.

My guess is that the original submitter was hoping for better grades and got burned. If the seller doesn't want the book for his personal collection, it's probably better to dump it at a loss than have it sit around gathering dust. (Plus, some sellers try to make back a few bucks on shipping 893naughty-thumb.gif )

I normally don't discuss my eBay auctions but I sell SOME of the items so cheap just to get rid of the excess. Yes, I start most of my auctions at one penny. If they do well, fine. If they go for pennies, well, someone got a great deal and are very happy! A win-win situation!

CAL hi.gif