• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampa Bay Comic Con! March 3-4, 2012! Jim Steranko appearance!

91 posts in this topic

Terrific day. :)

Sorry we didn't get more of a chance to talk today Bill. Hope you guys have a great time at the dinner.

What a turnout considering it's the first time this show was on a Saturday....it was packed even at 2pm when we finally left. You guys have to be happy with the result.

I had a great time!!! Love the show you guys put on in Tampa!!

Mark

What a great stack of books you bought from Chris.

:)

Remember, the show continues tomorrow!

I wasn't there for Sunday, but man was it packed for Saturday.

At this rate, October might be the last time you hold this show at the Doubletree. You need a bigger place....I hear the Tampa Bay Times Forum might be available. hm

The March 3-4, 2012, Tampa Bay Comic Con (TBCC) was FANTASTIC. In the convention's 12-year history this was the first ever 2-day convention, so the risk for us (and the dealers/exhibitors) was very high. Nobody knew what to expect in terms of attendance as the 2-day format was completely untested. Furthermore, nobody knew what to expect in terms of attendee spending as most dealers were very concerned that attendees would be tapped out from Mega Con just two weeks earlier. I can say with complete confidence that both of the mentioned risks were overcome.

Saturday was the untested day, as Tampa Bay Comic Con has always been a Sunday show. Apparently, the word got out because the attendance on Saturday alone was the third highest attendance that the convention has ever had at roughly 1,000 paid admissions. Sunday brought in about 700 paid admissions. Kids are not included in these figures. At about 1,700 total paid admissions (plus kids) it easily secured the highest attended Tampa Bay Comic Con.

Interesting tidbit: Don of Greenshift Music & Comics, Tampa's elder statesman of comics & Tampa's oldest comic shop, reports that this was the first 2 day show since the late 1970's.

All of our guest creators were thoroughly pleased and genuinely happy to be at the show. Jim Steranko had such a great time that he offered his personal aid and assistance in any way we need. JD Spurlock attests that it was the friendliest show he has ever attended.

Attendees obviously had some money to spend regardless of Mega Con, because every exhibitor had positive things to say about the weekend. Many dealers intend to add additional tables to their setup, and some have already purchased their tables for the October 20-21 convention. I think that exhibitor confidence in our ability to operate and promote a convention is high as many took a great interest in the brand new Orlando Comic Expo without even having that convention fully operational yet.

We added a large setup of video games that ran all weekend long and that too was very successful. On both days, the area was filled with attendees.

From an operational standpoint, everything went smoothly.

It was a great convention. It was tiring (not as tiring as previous ones though) and it was fun. Unfortunately, I still didn't get enough time to walk around and dig through long boxes. I haven't purchased a comic at the Tampa Bay Comic Con since 2010!

Mike Grell, Pablo Marcos, Mike Mayhew, Mike Perkins, Pete Pachoumis, Brian Kong, & Mark Ryan all reported doing very well & having lots of fun.

Even Jimmy Palmiotti made a cameo for his first stop at a Tampa show.

:)

Now if you can get Hotflips to set up next go around, clouds will part, harps will play, and we will see angels dancing.

Agreed. My only disappointment with the show was that no one was selling supplies. I would've dropped $300-$400 easy if anyone had cases of bags/boards for sale. Needed boxes also for a new collection I just bought.

Perhaps next time.... :wishluck:

Now if you can get Hotflips to set up next go around, clouds will part, harps will play, and we will see angels dancing.

Agreed. My only disappointment with the show was that no one was selling supplies. I would've dropped $300-$400 easy if anyone had cases of bags/boards for sale. Needed boxes also for a new collection I just bought.

Perhaps next time.... :wishluck:

Hotflips & Bob Storms have indicated that they hope to travel together down to Tampa for the October show.

Dale Roberts has committed to 5 tables as well.

The room is going to be full of books. I think we'll see buyers like Roy in town this go.