• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why new comics SUCK

69 posts in this topic

It seems like every new comic that comes out just has a spash page and a so-so story. Most of the covers don't even have an enemy on them. Give me the the old books with talk balloons, and quirky storylines. Comics need to be revamped badly.

It seems like every new comic that comes out just has a spash page and a so-so story. Most of the covers don't even have an enemy on them. Give me the the old books with talk balloons, and quirky storylines. Comics need to be revamped badly.

What examples can you share of new comics that suck? Actual titles would be helpful.

In response I could offer a list of titles that make me think comics now are better than they've ever been.

In response I could offer a list of titles that make me think comics now are better than they've ever been.

I think he's referring to super-hero comics, not some of the ones you may be alluding to.

What really chaps me is the glacial pace of the story telling. I now know how Bendis can write so many titles a month. He just writes stories at the same pace that Miller, Byrne and Claremont used to -- he just takes 10 issues to tell the a story that used to be done-in-one/two.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the stories as much as the next guy. They are much more "comprehensive" than in decades past -- almost to the point of being boring. However, my ADD addled mind HATES wading through page after page of talking heads just to get to the meat of the story. Guess it's just too hard to sell a TPB for $30 when it only has 3 issues in it.

And yes, the art styling is abysmal. How many splash pages does a book need? How many pages of 9 panel talking heads does it take to get your point across? Again, that goes back to the writing.

What examples can you share of new comics that suck? Actual titles would be helpful.

Ultimate anything.

And hell, all the X-Men titles... when was the last time any of them were any good? Granted, they don't fit the "form" he was talking about... but man, they are Dullsville.

(Except for Exiles, which continues to be one of the more entertaining books on the shelves after 40+ issues.) thumbsup2.gif

Ultimate anything.

And hell, all the X-Men titles... when was the last time any of them were any good? Granted, they don't fit the "form" he was talking about... but man, they are Dullsville.

(Except for Exiles, which continues to be one of the more entertaining books on the shelves after 40+ issues.) thumbsup2.gif

I don't need someone who I know reads new comics to tell me what new comics suck. I could come up with examples myself. I was just trying to figure out whether or not this person actually reads new comics. On more than one occasion I've heard "new comics suck" then asked, "what have you read?" and gotten "nothing" or "one Ultimate Spider-Man trade" or something equally shallow as a reply.

Ultimate anything.

I don't need someone who I know reads new comics to tell me what new comics suck. I could come up with examples myself. I was just trying to figure out whether or not this person actually reads new comics. On more than one occasion I've heard "new comics suck" then asked, "what have you read?" and gotten "nothing" or "one Ultimate Spider-Man trade" or something equally shallow as a reply.

All apologies, your highness!

I didn't see the velvet rope separating this conversation from every other thread on the board where ANYONE can join in.

Ultimate anything.

I didn't see the velvet rope separating this conversation from every other thread on the board where ANYONE can join in.

Join in all you want. I was just explaining the purpose of the question I directed specifically at the original poster. I was asking one specific person a question and another person answered. I felt like some explanation was in order. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ultimate anything.

Join in all you want. I was just explaining the purpose of the question I directed specifically at the original poster. I was asking one specific person a question and another person answered. I felt like some explanation was in order. confused-smiley-013.gif

Would it help if I said: " tongue.gif "?

What really chaps me is the glacial pace of the story telling. I now know how Bendis can write so many titles a month. He just writes stories at the same pace that Miller, Byrne and Claremont used to -- he just takes 10 issues to tell the a story that used to be done-in-one/two.

I've mentioned the same thing before, and current storytelling has turned into a "write one issue, have the artist turn it into a TPB" format.

The ability to squeeze as much action and characterization into a single issue used to be the hallmark of great writing, but now it seems that stretching and watering-down the story is where the money is.

I can't imagine actually plunking down the bucks each month for Ultimate Spider-man. Half of the book is soulfull glance after soulfull glance. foreheadslap.gif

The ability to squeeze as much action and characterization into a single issue used to be the hallmark of great writing, but now it seems that stretching and watering-down the story is where the money is.

Spot on ! thumbsup2.gif Have you read Thor under Jurgens ? Issues #3 to #11 trod water so much it was just embarrassing, like Thor vs a D.J. ???confused-smiley-013.gif All to lead the reader to the Deluxe multiple cover, over-priced cr*pfest that was Issue #12 893whatthe.gif

Up until the last couple of issues the action seemed to have stopped altogether for several years while the King Thor saga drags endlessly on... tonofbricks.gif

What happened to actual battles ? That's what I used to buy comics for as a kid, and what I still enjoy. This was said elsewhere recently, but maybe if they stopped playing up to the "mature" readers, and created some tightly written action-based books that kids enjoy, this hobby might have a future for a few more generations. sign-rantpost.gif

What happened to actual battles ?

Here's a quick one... find Harbinger #25 in a 25cent bin...you won't be sorry.

It's no longterm solution, since Valiant is dead... but it's a good battle for a quarter.

I'm sure there are better battles out there... but are they under $1? grin.gif

What happened to actual battles ?

Here's a quick one... find Harbinger #25 in a 25cent bin...

Or go buy the original The Authority run. thumbsup2.gif

Good idea, know where I can get one for 25cents?

I think generally there is a lack of good artists out there. The modern era seems to be filled with over done art work which is trying to be too flashy. Too many titles as well. There is something to be said about simplicity. Kirby, Buscema, etc let their work do the illustrating not all this background "noise" and over shadowing, dark and brooding panels that you see today. Just my two cents.

I think generally there is a lack of good artists out there. The modern era seems to be filled with over done art work which is trying to be too flashy. Too many titles as well. There is something to be said about simplicity. Kirby, Buscema, etc let their work do the illustrating not all this background "noise" and over shadowing, dark and brooding panels that you see today. Just my two cents.

Surfer - you should check out the "Most Grotesque Captain America" thread. There are some unbelievable artists in there. 27_laughing.gif

My response to your question , is that the content (Except for some Vertigo titles) are just lame splash covers on the front and few pages on the inside. Hey , but it's your money, but i figure for upwards of $3.00 you might want a little more bang for your buck. It's like going to see Van Helsing, great special effects, just wished it came with a story.

Or go buy the original The Authority run.

The first 12 issues by Ellis and Hitch were amazing reads. Nothing wrong with splash pages if they come along with a great story. Planetary is another fantastic book.