• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why new comics SUCK

69 posts in this topic

My response to your question , is that the content (Except for some Vertigo titles) are just lame splash covers on the front and few pages on the inside. Hey , but it's your money, but i figure for upwards of $3.00 you might want a little more bang for your buck. It's like going to see Van Helsing, great special effects, just wished it came with a story.

So ALL comics except for some Vertigo titles suck? Please let us know which ones don't fall into your suckage category.

You didn't really answer his question though... which comics in particular led you to you decision to classify all new books in the "suck" category?

My response to your question , is that the content (Except for some Vertigo titles) are just lame splash covers on the front and few pages on the inside. Hey , but it's your money, but i figure for upwards of $3.00 you might want a little more bang for your buck. It's like going to see Van Helsing, great special effects, just wished it came with a story.

So ALL comics except for some Vertigo titles suck? Please let us know which ones don't fall into your suckage category.

You didn't really answer his question though... which comics in particular led you to you decision to classify all new books in the "suck" category?

He didn't answer my question at all. Just more generalization. Oh well.

I'll wait around and just toss out excellent current series until I get one specific example that sucks.

Planetary. Out of everything he's ever written this seems like it's as close as we're going to get to peeking inside Ellis' head. The combination of action, fascinating characters, popular (and not so popular) culture homage and good old fashioned mystery coupled with Cassaday's detailed, vibrant art make for an incredible read.

Sleeper. Deep cover on the incognito tip... A wonderfully paranoid, stylishly illustrated trip through the seedy underbelly of the Wildstorm universe. Wild conspiracy, murder, mayhem and mystery unfolding before your eyes...

Best news all year- Ed Brubaker will be taking over The Authority.

Daredevil. Oh my, a Bendis book, I'm in for it now. I don't even read USM, so I don't know what everyone's complaint is there.... This book on the other hand, officially kicks [!@#%^&^]. Just read it from issue #26 on. This is a classic run comparable to any run on the title ever... Gritty in a non-gratuitous way, funny, occasionally action-packed and almost constantly surprising, this is a book I'm always excited to read. DD is even in costume as of the last issue!

You folks want action? Pick up the Red/Tokyo Storm Warning trade paperback.

Red, the Ellis/ Cully Hammer story is the better of the two and is the reason I recommend the trade. It's an action/ espionage tale that would make a blockbuster film if Ringo Lam directed it.

Buy it and think of Tokyo Storm Warning and its three issues worth of city-leveling robot fights as a sort of bonus.

I'm going to get in trouble here because traditionalists blow a gasket at the very thought of anything "Ultimate," but The Ultimates is a GREAT book. Slow to ship? Yes. Over-the-top? Yes. Occasionally exploitative? Yes. A crazy, fun, page turning read whenever we're blessed with an issue? You bet your [!@#%^&^].

Y: The Last Man. I won't pretend I haven't just read the first three trades this past week thumbsup2.gif Call me Johnny Come Lately. A fun, thought provoking read that more than delivers on a theoretically "can't miss" concept.

Thanos. Such a fun, surprising series. Surprising in both the fact that it's so good and in trying to keep up with the ins and outs of the story. Giffen picked up magnificently from where Starling left off, much to our collective relief. Plenty of 893crossfingers-thumb.gif threads around here when it was announced that Starlin would be leaving.

I just need to state this for the record.

Every thing I collect is cool while everything you collect SUCKS!

Any questions?

sumo.gif

And that's really what this all boils down to isn't it? Have I mentioned that I hate that phenomenon? 893frustrated.gif

I'll wait around and just toss out excellent current series until I get one specific example that sucks.

Good idea Rob. Here's a list of books that I am enjoying consistantly of late (an abbreviated version of my actual pull file which has a lot of hit or miss titles):

MARVEL:

Marvel Knights Spider-Man

Marvel Knights 4

She-Hulk

Daredevil

The Pulse

Supreme Power

Ultimate Spider-Man

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimates

DC

Green Arrow

JSA

Teen Titans

New Frontier

Superman/Batman

Planetary

Y the Last Man

Fables (in tpbs)

Other:

Conan (Dark Horse)

Kev

One more then I'm going to go lift weights... Wanted. Sure, I'll allow that Millar can be occasionally puerile and he might be taking liberties with the Top Cow editorial freedom he's now enjoying, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this series simply WORKS- great art, devilish set-up, wild characters and attitude for miles.

In addition to the comics you all listed:

The Goon is great.

Just picked up the Batgirl trades, and that's actually pretty good.

Robocop is action packed blood and gore.

Arrowsmith has been good.

Invincible is one of the best books out there & will be worth money.

(anything Kirkman has been writing is killer).

This week was bad though. All I bought was the 'Walking Dead TPB' and the issue of Invincible I missed last week.

My two cents.