• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAC COAST XMEN 1 CGC 9.6 WHITE, ??ASKING PRICE

72 posts in this topic

Anyone know if there were White Mtn runs of Sgt Fury or the Marvel cowboy titles like Two-Gun Kid/Rawhide Kid/Kid Colt? Some of them had origin/retold issues from 1962. Scarce as hen's teeth. Can't find them is strict vf or better with no chipping. acclaim.gif

Tim,

How are you? I know for a fact Tom wouldn't even sell it at 100k, maybe not at 150. Taking into account the overall rarity of the book (its probably the rarest/hardest to find in high grade Marvel key), it would take a serious offer to get it out of Tom's hands. BTW, the census is incorrect, as there are only 2 9.2s in existence (the Bethlehem & the Northland, which is killer and closer to a 9.4 than 9.2, I think). The other 9.2 (which I bought from The Mint) is now a 9.0, but was resubmitted without the CGC label, so is there's an extra 9.2 on the pop report.

Again, only 1 9.4 & 2 9.2s, this is indeed a tough in high grade book. Believe me, the next 9.2 sale (if any) you will hear will be at least $70,000, maybe more.

Doug, definitely agree with you that it would take a lot to ever pry that Hulk 1 out of Tom's hands, although I'm sure you've tried! grin.gif

Also agree with you on Hulk 1 and the Hulk 1-6 run being the hardest Marvels to find in high grade. Now imagine if all Marvel titles were like this, and you'll understand what it feels like to be a high grade silver DC collector. 893frustrated.gif

Just another point of note. The White Mountains, which contained a lot of keys in super high grade (TOS 39 9.6; JIM 83 9.6; AF 15 9.4; ASM 1 9.6; FF 1 9.2; FF 2 9.4; FF 5 9.4, etc) did have a Hulk 1, but it graded only an 8.0. If I remember correctly, it did have some Marvel Chipping or problems on the right edge. Not that this fact that the WM IH 1 only graded an 8.0 means it's hard to dn high grade, it goes to show that even the meticulous original owner of this horde (who kept his books perfectly in metal storage boxes) couldn't find a near-perfect copy on the newsstand (unless the chipping/right-side prblms were caused later on, which I doubt). I do not believe that another Hulk 1 will be found or graded in 9.4(unless it's a resubmit of my Northland or the Bethlehem copy).

Doug, sounds like we need a new thread on the White Mountain pedigree. The grades you list above on the major keys are astounding, which is funny because with the advent of CGC, it has seemed to me that the WM pedigree has taken the biggest hit to its reputation among the major SA pedigrees. Of course, that may just be that it was way overblown before. I can remember in the old days when dealers wouldn't deign to give a grade to a WM book, they would just indicate it was WM and ask for a crazy multiple with the unstated implication that it was NM/M (they did this with Church books too). Unfortunately, not all WM or MH books were created equal.

The other 9.2 (which I bought from The Mint) is now a 9.0, but was resubmitted without the CGC label, so is there's an extra 9.2 on the pop report.

Again, only 1 9.4 & 2 9.2s, this is indeed a tough in high grade book. Believe me, the next 9.2 sale (if any) you will hear will be at least $70,000, maybe more.

Hi Doug

Are you sure about the Mint's copy being resubmitted without the CGC label ? I know of a private collector (of sound reputation), who claims to own an unrestored Hulk #1 CGC 9.2 O-W Pages which he submitted himself back in 2002. In addition to the Bethlehem and Northland copies, that would mean that the figure of three 9.2's on the census is correct. confused-smiley-013.gif

What is the page quality on the Northland copy - is it O-W to W ? (I seem to remember the Bethlehem copy was CR to O-W). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What is the page quality on the Northland copy - is it O-W to W ? (I seem to remember the Bethlehem copy was CR to O-W). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Bethlehem copy is off-white to white. I've got the entire web page of that sale saved to disk, so I just looked it up and it's ow/w.

Tim,

Believe me, the white mountains are killer books, and the keys & ist appearances really stick out, but overall, the grades do not match up when looking at individual runs. There are many WM's that are vf and below. I would think the average grade of a WM is vf/nm, which is a lot less than the avge grade of a Pac Coast & Curator (nm/nm+); Northland (nm) or Western Penn (nm) or Mass copy (nm-/nm).

However, the awesome grades on the early issues (I have 5 White Mtn FFs between 1-12, all 9.4!!), and keys is what makes this such a famous collection (the usual page quality of ow to w or white doesn't hurt either). Come on, 9.6s on JIM 83, TOS 39 & ASM 1 is ridiculous!!

rob,

No idea. In fact, I don't know the grade(s) on any WM Daredevil(s). It's possible the original owner still has his DDs or Sgt. Furys (if he ever collected them).

Anybody out there know?

Other WM grades: TTA 37 9.0; 39 9.6; 41 9.4; 46 8.0; 52 9.4; 56 9.4; 57 9.6; 60 9.4; 63 9.6; 64 9.4; 65 9.6.

r100,

You may be correct, unless this is the same 9.2 I was talking about which I purchased from Parrino appx 2 and a half or so years ago (it was ow). I sold it to a collector (could be who you are talking about), but I'm 100% sure that this collector thought (stupidly) that it could get a 9.4, and eventually came back 9.0.

Either way, there are either 2 or 3 Hulk 1 9.2s. The Bethlehem copy is nice, I've heard, but has no shot at a 9.4. The Northland is killer (Mike Goldman, who is as tight as any dealer in terms of grading) called it a nm on the accompanying certificate, and I'm inclined to agree with him. It has ow to w pages, to answer another poster's question. Looking back, I can't believe I ever parted with this book, and I'm very glad I have it back.

The Bethlehem copy is off-white to white. I've got the entire web page of that sale saved to disk, so I just looked it up and it's ow/w.

Was it on eBay? What did it go for, and who was the buyer?

Was it on eBay? What did it go for, and who was the buyer?

ebay user "pennysawyer" won it from Kingdom Collectables for $51,900 on August 1, 2002

Not one of the usual suspects. Has this person been active otherwise for big ticket comics?

rob,

No idea. In fact, I don't know the grade(s) on any WM Daredevil(s). It's possible the original owner still has his DDs or Sgt. Furys (if he ever collected them).

A big lot of the DDs sold with the AF 15 etc. in '93 at Sothebys, so they're out there somewhere. I've posted a scan of the #1 before.

I actually a WM DD that didn't go in tha auction, the #9. Which would be VF/NM minus a missing dime-sized piece on the top left corner. I was buying a bunch of books from Metropolis and I picked it up on a lark. It's easily the nicest VG in my collection thumbsup2.gif

Do you think the owner is sorry he didn't list it at $125K? Once you start dealing with buyers who are willing to spend that kind of money what's a few thousand more when your trying to secure the best available? Just an observation but only 6 or 7 books have sold out of the first 67 issues available. Do you think will change very much in the next little while or will the seller be disappointed with the overall response?